Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems way too harsh lol. Typical AFL move, from one extreme to the other.
Sydney have had enough charity of late ! If they have to not take some of the high end academy players they have developed and pay back the afl then I'm happy .
Remember the academies are about growing our game not giving teams an advantage .
If Sydney were to take mills from their academy and not take dunkley a father son who is also highly rated they can Go and get ****ed !

Question is whether or not any of these guys will be worth Top 5 picks when it comes to draft day
Before Under 18 champs and Draft Combine there are honestly about 15 players that are described as being "top 5 material"
You end up paying heavy overs if the player is nominated in the Top 5 (Heeney for example) but I wonder how many of these cases will exist

Geelong were able to select a lot of their F/S picks quite late because they obviously weren't rated at the time

Question is whether or not any of these guys will be worth Top 5 picks when it comes to draft day
Before Under 18 champs and Draft Combine there are honestly about 15 players that are described as being "top 5 material"
You end up paying heavy overs if the player is nominated in the Top 5 (Heeney for example) but I wonder how many of these cases will exist

Geelong were able to select a lot of their F/S picks quite late because they obviously weren't rated at the time

No, because it was a different system at the time. There was no bidding system at that time.

If sydney win the premiership i can tell you right now they would happily give up their first 4 round picks for the equivalent of the number 1 pick in the country.

It also means working on your list in advance knowing whats coming up. If sydney get to july or august and know they want mills and dunkley and mills is looking like a top 2-3 pick and dunkley a pick around 10-15 then they will need to trade out some players for draft currency if they want both.

I don't understand how anyone can think this is anything other than still generous for the team getting the players. Sydney last year on home and away finish top 4, they get a top 2 pick, this year they finish top 4, they get a top 2 pick and trade a couple of mid tier players to get the equivalent of another first round pick.

Just because some people are too stupid to run the very basic maths doesn't mean it's an unfair system. Looking at the points value of picks if a team had pick 3-4 and they looked to have the genuine number 1 pick in either father/son or academy i would be doing everything i could to trade that pick 3 for 3 picks in the late teens, early 20's. It'll be able getting the most value out of your draft pick if it looks like you're going to have to use your next pick on a father/son or academy pick. Because if you're going to have to use pick 3 on the player anyway then you may as well get the player you would take plus a bump up in later draft picks.

It'll take dumbass recruiters 3-4 years to cotton on, just like some teams still havent really cottoned on to the benefits of free agency. There will be some teams that are really smart with this system, a lot who sit on their arses and just wait for things to come their way naturally and 1-2 teams will think outside the box and really smash it.

Last edited:
No, because it was a different system at the time. There was no bidding system at that time.

Same reason we got Mitch Morton cheaply, even though he was a highly rated pick at the time.

Thank Christ we didn't have to give up a top 10 pick for him.

If sydney finish 18th and win the premiership i can tell you right now they would happily give up their first 4 round picks for the equivalent of the number 1 pick in the country.

It also means working on your list in advance knowing whats coming up. If sydney get to july or august and know they want mills and dunkley and mills is looking like a top 2-3 pick and dunkley a pick around 10-15 then they will need to trade out some players for draft currency if they want both.

I don't understand how anyone can think this is anything other than still generous for the team getting the players. Sydney last year on home and away finish top 4, they get a top 2 pick, this year they finish top 4, they get a top 2 pick and trade a couple of mid tier players to get the equivalent of another first round pick.

Just because some people are too stupid to run the very basic maths doesn't mean it's an unfair system. Looking at the points value of picks if a team had pick 3-4 and they looked to have the genuine number 1 pick in either father/son or academy i would be doing everything i could to trade that pick 3 for 3 picks in the late teens, early 20's. It'll be able getting the most value out of your draft pick if it looks like you're going to have to use your next pick on a father/son or academy pick. Because if you're going to have to use pick 3 on the player anyway then you may as well get the player you would take plus a bump up in later draft picks.

It'll take dumbass recruiters 3-4 years to cotton on, just like some teams still havent really cottoned on to the benefits of free agency. There will be some teams that are really smart with this system, a lot who sit on their arses and just wait for things to come their way naturally and 1-2 teams will think outside the box and really smash it.
What will be interesting is trade week . Swaps of just picks will be much higher as trading with teams with academy f/s players will be trying to accumulate points .
Take jetta for example if we were to trade for him normally Sydney would want a 20-30 pick but now they are chasing points they probably wouldn't care if they got two picks in the 40s if it equaled the same . As for other teams with academies GWS would normally expect a 15-20 pick for coniglio but if our second and third equal the same points then they might be happy to take it

What will be interesting is trade week . Swaps of just picks will be much higher as trading with teams with academy f/s players will be trying to accumulate points .
Take jetta for example if we were to trade for him normally Sydney would want a 20-30 pick but now they are chasing points they probably wouldn't care if they got two picks in the 40s if it equaled the same . As for other teams with academies GWS would normally expect a 15-20 pick for coniglio but if our second and third equal the same points then they might be happy to take it
That would be smart list management.

That would be smart list management.
Late picks like third rounders that have less value in a drafting a player in a weak draft but could be worth chasing as they don't lose points value . If we could somehow acquire a few late picks we may be able to keep our higher picks when trading .

So if Carlton nominate mills at pick 1 = 3000pts and Sydney finish 3rd or better they are in a world of hurt !
With a 20% discount they would need 2400pts

Pick 16 - 1067pts
Pick34 -542pts
Pick52 -246
Pick 70 - 39pts
Total -1894 Pts
They need to use all their picks and trade for equivalent of pick 35 .
What then happens to dunkley ?
There is also the problem that they need to take 3 picks in the national draft so they will have to use picks 88 and 106
Pretty sure you can go into deficit and use next years first round pick also, not sure how they assign the value for that though.

Apparently Jake Waterman kicked two first half goals for WA today.
He looked good when I arrived in the last and was speaking to a couple of Swans' mates, who are persuaded towards the dark side, and they said he was very impressive. More creative, which I think is what you have said a bit, than Alec.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we knew the changes were coming but the end result hasn't brought about the "death" of father/son entirely.
It will mean less automatic choices that's for sure.

Last edited:
He looked good when I arrived in the last and was speaking to a couple of Swans' mates, who are persuaded towards the dark side, and they said he was very impressive. More creative, which I think is what you have said a bit, than Alec.
Read somewhere he took 10 marks too which is impressive.

Yeah 10 marks from 12 disposals or something like that. A bit too much bias towards his aerial ability there but it is his strength. Will be a handful when he fills out his frame.

TBH im very happy for it to be so heavily biased. If it was that way only in colts i would have an issue but in the state game whereby he is against players of more similar talent level and of a closer size relatively to have such a strong marking focus shows an attribute which will be close to elite at AFL level. Definitely see a spot for him on our list come draft time next year.

TBH im very happy for it to be so heavily biased. If it was that way only in colts i would have an issue but in the state game whereby he is against players of more similar talent level and of a closer size relatively to have such a strong marking focus shows an attribute which will be close to elite at AFL level. Definitely see a spot for him on our list come draft time next year.

Certainly. I just want to see more contested and ground level efforts from him, it's not like he hasn't got the frame size or the clean hands to do it. It's more an intent, positioning and confidence thing.

At 16's level he showed a fair bit of versatility and they've thrown him around at Colts level. So i'm sure he won't be shoe boxed into a single forward role. My concerns on him are his speed, like his brother he's not quick and building a contested game will hold him good stead for the rigors of and strategic demands of AFL coaches.

I'm lost FFS

Did Jordan Matera play for Vic Metro?

Didn't the u18s used to be televised on Foxtel? How come they aren't any more?

Do these ridiculous changes to to the FS rule mean that it is easier or harder for clubs to secure lowly rated FS picks (ie. Matera)?

Certainly. I just want to see more contested and ground level efforts from him, it's not like he hasn't got the frame size or the clean hands to do it. It's more an intent, positioning and confidence thing.

At 16's level he showed a fair bit of versatility and they've thrown him around at Colts level. So i'm sure he won't be shoe boxed into a single forward role. My concerns on him are his speed, like his brother he's not quick and building a contested game will hold him good stead for the rigors of and strategic demands of AFL coaches.
Wouldn't the high mark low ground level touches just be because that's the role the coaches want him to play? Unless they are short and/or really developed physically, the bottom age players usually get the flanks/pockets/wings.

I'm lost FFS

Did Jordan Matera play for Vic Metro?

Didn't the u18s used to be televised on Foxtel? How come they aren't any more?

Do these ridiculous changes to to the FS rule mean that it is easier or harder for clubs to secure lowly rated FS picks (ie. Matera)?

Made the initial squad but didn't make the 22 this week.

I'm pretty sure only the last round is televised, may be mistaken.

Wouldn't real change much for lowly rated FS picks, more the highly touted picks....I'd be more worried about J.Waterman as with good development he could go early.

On J.Waterman is he similar in style to a Macrae?

Made the initial squad but didn't make the 22 this week.

I'm pretty sure only the last round is televised, may be mistaken.

Wouldn't real change much for lowly rated FS picks, more the highly touted picks....I'd be more worried about J.Waterman as with good development he could go early.

On J.Waterman is he similar in style to a Macrae?
Bolded not quite accurate regarding the "squad". Only as far as the game this weekend gone.
Jordan played for Vic Metro 2 on weekend against Vic Country 2 in a trial game, so some assume that he didn't make the Vic metro final cut.
After the weekend games the squad has now been reduced from 49 to the final 30. Jordan has been told he made the team!!:)
On a down note he kicked 1 goal 5:(. Got a lot of ball though and could have had a bag.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back