Opinion OFFICIAL: Josh Walker traded for Brisbane's 2016 3rd Rd pick (Jansen = steak knives)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did alright tonight.
Was one of a few who actually demanded the ball and tried to tackle, spoil and hurt the opposition anyway he could.
Was subbed off midway through the third quarter and chances are, he'll likely be dropped for next weeks game even though Hawkins, Motlop, Vardy were worse than he was around the forward line.

Menzel though . . . . wow!

The issue is not with those two. Very neat players.
Oh I know that, it just seems quite the conundrum that you have two of the top 3 kicking mids in your side yet still seem to have poor inside 50 delivery. Granted we haven't seen much of Duncan this year.

Something is wrong and it can be summed up by a bit of play in the first quarter.With no one else having a go he led hard to the wing and took contested mark with two blokes against him.Then there were no leads at all for him. Nothing.What's the point.

Don't know about anyone else but the base thing i want to see when I watch the cats is guys having a crack. Finals and flags are great when you are good enough,but the thing that keeps me coming back through thick and thin is seeing them have real go.
Walker does.Hawkins got some poor delivery tonight but there was no work rate either until the second half.

the sooner Walker is traded the better.

His fan boys can pump him up all they like,,,,zero impact as per usual, and his last three games..or is it 4?,,,putrid. The guy's a spud.

Don't any player being talked about this, let alone one who led the team in contested marks, worked hard in defence, and like other forwards has to work double to try and cover for Hawkins' very limited mobility once there is a turnover.

I can see that they wanted speed, but if they were serious about it they would have subbed Hawkins off, not Walker. But never would, too big a boost to the other team to see him gone from the field.

He did work hard last night and takes a great mark, but his disposal and goal kicking skills are ordinary so nothing comes of his possessions.

He did work hard last night and takes a great mark, but his disposal and goal kicking skills are ordinary so nothing comes of his possessions.

Hard to line up for goal knowing that if you miss you'll get dragged.

Take the point about disposal, or perhaps composure moore generally, but gee Hawkins was given a long time to come good, and did, whereas it feels like Walker just does not have that same level of support or trust from the coaches.

Feel like the return of Vardy and Menz is affecting this: Scott always was clear how much he admired Vardy and that seemd to imply Walker was just minding his place.

Take the point about disposal, or perhaps composure moore generally, but gee Hawkins was given a long time to come good, and did, whereas it feels like Walker just does not have that same level of support or trust from the coaches.

Feel like the return of Vardy and Menz is affecting this: Scott always was clear how much he admired Vardy and that seemd to imply Walker was just minding his place.
Maybe but his shots on goal have been ordinary for weeks now, and he didn't get dragged then. Am not convinced. In 2013?. he looked like he was coming on, not sure now.

At the end of the day you are only as good as your last gig. Walker was buy no measn the worst out there last night. He had plenty of company.

The issue is the bloke has had chances to keep the wolves at bay and not taken them. I actually think perseverance will yield results but the tide right now is against him. Couple that with the OOF last night in front of goals and the misses over the last 2-3 weeks and the body of work is less than stellar.

His issue now is not only has he hurt his chances internally but externally as well. He could get a 1-2 yr deal with us as depth and prove us all wrong. Im not sure he will got offers elsewhere after his last month - although as I said he has not been alone.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in case anyone missed it, he reinforced it very strongly in the press conference. Walker will not be selected ahead of Vardy. Ever.

At the end of the day you are only as good as your last gig. Walker was buy no measn the worst out there last night. He had plenty of company.

The issue is the bloke has had chances to keep the wolves at bay and not taken them. I actually think perseverance will yield results but the tide right now is against him. Couple that with the OOF last night in front of goals and the misses over the last 2-3 weeks and the body of work is less than stellar.

His issue now is not only has he hurt his chances internally but externally as well. He could get a 1-2 yr deal with us as depth and prove us all wrong. Im not sure he will got offers elsewhere after his last month - although as I said he has not been alone.

Go Catters

Yeah, nice point about not taking the chances, and the double damage inside and outside the club. Although maybe he and another club woudl feel that with more security he would kick a lot better. I hold my breath every time he kicks, and there was a shocker last night. But he was not alone in that, a few went wide, or along the ground. But gee they look bad when it's Friday night at the G

Try him in the back line. Full back.
I'd like to see him at CHB or yes even a stint at FB.
I think our current backline is cooked personally and needs an overhaul; we look slow, soft, very reactive and just going through the motions.
You can say that the midfield aren't doing enough defensive work to help out the defence but at the end of the day, defenders a payed to stop goals and right now we conseed so many soft goals it's not funny.
We have enough options up forward if used correctly so I'd be disappointed if Walker wasn't given a chance down back and part of a trade

Last edited:
Maybe but his shots on goal have been ordinary for weeks now, and he didn't get dragged then. Am not convinced. In 2013?. he looked like he was coming on, not sure now.

Yeah it is weird. Because they were so glowing then. What the hell has changed so much? It's like he overheard a conversation with someone saying "nice bloke, tries really hard, will be a good seat warmer til Vards is up and about and then we can dump him." Feel like he is always being envisaged as second string, as opposed to having a place and a role like Kersten (who, like Stevie, might be another "in trouble" in part because of the Menz Machine).

They have tried this in the VFL from memory, unsure how that went. But the kid has good athletic ability, so I think it could be worth a
shot. But will he be here long enough to continue this development?
Perfect KPP size and mobility and yes I agree his kicking for goal pretty woeful but I think we'd be missing a goldern opportunity not trying him down back.
He might suck, but he could also be great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back