Any Stock Tips? - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I started age 30.

Age doesn't matter. Disposable income, critical analysis, knowledge, market understanding and dumb luck are what matters.

Start small with blue chip stocks. Don't do what I did and start with specculative stocks.

I've got a mate who started specking when young. Nearly 5 years later and his capital gains are still being offset from the losses.

What age did you guys start? Is 18 too young?
I bought my first shares when I was 14 prior to the America's Cup in Freo. Company was Lombardo's, they went broke in 2 years :mad:

That didn't stop me though. I had my first property from shares when I was 20.

Agree with Stronzo that's it's tempting to run with the spec companies and earn the quick bucks but it's too hit and miss and over the long term you'll luck out.

Stick to the top 300 listed shares on the ASX, plenty of good opportunities there to find good growth stocks that will be good investments 10 - 15 years down the track. 10 - 15 years will seem like an eternity for an 18 year old but time flies and if you invest smart early by the time you hit your 30's you should be set up nicely.

Remember you're compounding your returns on your investment, the longer you leave your money working for your the larger your returns will be after 10 years or so. I've PM a calculator to you so you can play with some figures.

Do plenty of reading and don't rush your decisions in buying shares. You'll miss shares through procrastination but always remember that there will be plenty of opportunities just around the corner.

Best of luck

Started at 16, had to exit due to uni and costs.

Pretty much agree with what all have said before. Get into blue chips with good dividend yields, build diverse portfolio and then start building speculative portfolio. Gains from blue chips should offset any losses (if any) on speculative buys.

'Time in the marketing, not timing the market'

What age did you guys start? Is 18 too young?

I saw this image and it reminded me of your post.

costume3.jpg

apparently you are never too young to start

Ive been trading since Sept 14, so not long and my biggest advice would be to take it slow. You learn something different everyday, even when you think you've got the hang of it, something else will always pop up to teach something new.

Its so different to anything else in terms of patience needed and keeping emotions in check.

Oh, and I get that this is a place for actual tips, so check out TGS, severely undervalued at .15 and pretty volatile, get a few, make a coupla hundred then move on. Not financial advice at all ofcourse tho, do your own research! :-D

Ive been trading since Sept 14, so not long and my biggest advice would be to take it slow. You learn something different everyday, even when you think you've got the hang of it, something else will always pop up to teach something new.

Its so different to anything else in terms of patience needed and keeping emotions in check.

Oh, and I get that this is a place for actual tips, so check out TGS, severely undervalued at .15 and pretty volatile, get a few, make a coupla hundred then move on. Not financial advice at all ofcourse tho, do your own research! :-D

Neil Fearis was just in my office 5 minutes ago

Is that good news or bad?

neither

good, as he is a good guy
bad, as he expects to be paid rent for occupying his office

I haven't followed TGS but copper is a good commodity, being in production is a positive but being in africa is tough.

so check out TGS, severely undervalued at .15 and pretty volatile,

Owned TGS late 2011. If they were mining in Aust it would be a different story but we found that the Congo location was always hanging over them. Good quality asset though and have been keeping an eye on them since Oct. If you can time them right there's definately a buck to be made but like you said they are extremely volatile.

If you can get them close to 10 - 11c they would be a good trade but it's a gutsy choice.

Owned TGS late 2011. If they were mining in Aust it would be a different story but we found that the Congo location was always hanging over them. Good quality asset though and have been keeping an eye on them since Oct. If you can time them right there's definately a buck to be made but like you said they are extremely volatile.

If you can get them close to 10 - 11c they would be a good trade but it's a gutsy choice.

Great info!

I've just been tracking the stock since it plunged a bit last week, seems to keep hitting around 14 then bouncing to 19 then back down again. For short term people like me, looking for a 3 to 4 percent gain it could be good. I generally dont hold resource stocks for long, just make incremental gains when the good fundamental companies take a bit of a hit

Great info!

I've just been tracking the stock since it plunged a bit last week, seems to keep hitting around 14 then bouncing to 19 then back down again. For short term people like me, looking for a 3 to 4 percent gain it could be good. I generally dont hold resource stocks for long, just make incremental gains when the good fundamental companies take a bit of a hit

If you're trading then keep an eye on them as they have been bouncing around a bit. Also keep and eye on NNW as well. I bought into them recently and they have been in a range between 35.5 and 40c. Low volume but there's a trade in them as well. I've bought these with a 12 month view, like the story and a chance to get closer to 90c if they can stick to their EOY guideance.

If you're trading then keep an eye on them as they have been bouncing around a bit. Also keep and eye on NNW as well. I bought into them recently and they have been in a range between 35.5 and 40c. Low volume but there's a trade in them as well. I've bought these with a 12 month view, like the story and a chance to get closer to 90c if they can stick to their EOY guideance.

Awesome Ill keep an eye out.

As a rule I only really trade stocks with good fundamentals (eg. good Price Book, Price Sale, Return on Assets etc). Its more of a cautious thing I do, thinking well if a sector happens to experience a crash, would I be comfortable holding them for longer than I expected?

For example I bought in RSG Resolute in October, and it experienced a crash, was down almost 60% on original investment, it really really tested my patience. But being a solid company with good cash flow, good price book and relatively undervalued I was happy to keep it. Finallllllyyyyyyy yesterday I managed to sell my lot for 5% gain. Took four months haha but pretty happy with my discipline to see it out and not just panic and cut losses.

Although I don't feel comfortable giving any sort of advice to anyone as I am just a rookie myself, only been in market for less than a year so continuing to learn.

Biggest thing to any beginners reading this forum I could say is everyone is different, there is no secret formula to make a million dollars and once someone emails it to you you're good to go. Read a lot of books, look at the market, look at experiences and decide whats best for you. Its good fun tho!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What sort of money did you guys start up with
$1,000 but that was in the 80's. Had a weekend job in school and saved every cent I made and pit it into shares.

We owned a pub in Kalgoorlie back in the late 80's and 90's and used to get geo's, drillers, company directors come in on a Wednesday night for a yarn with the old man. Used to get all the good oil on new discoveries and what companies were about to be ramped. I wish I had those sort of contacts nowadays.

Why 10-11c? They dipped that low a couple of weeks back, but now look to be on a upward trend.

A couple of the directors, Neil included, topped up at 12 and 13c, thinking it had bottomed out.

Why 10-11c? They dipped that low a couple of weeks back, but now look to be on a upward trend.

A couple of the directors, Neil included, topped up at 12 and 13c, thinking it had bottomed out.
10 to 11 look like their bottom. Copper has been falling so any negative movements will test that support again.

What sort of money did you guys start up with

the anz trade would have been '92

first range trading effort was MIM around 98 where I would get in at $0.64 double up at $0.62 and again at $0.60 the sell out at $0.67. It was a regular trade and would net $1k profit each time. Again still big money for me back then.

Then Burns Philp (around 99) looked like it would go insolvent and I forget the actual share prices but I took a punt at circa $0.01 that it would be refinanced. It did and a relatively small trade generated $100k profit. It was enough money to leave the ADF and go back to uni.

Toward the end of uni I took a similar punt on aristocrat around 03 and made 10 times my money.

Then silly season started when I was involved with the MBO of Rothschild's golden arrow funds which focused on the junior resources sector. My Chairman was the Chairman of FMG which gave an unbelievable insight into iron ore, my business partner focused on base metals, another coal and I chose precious and uranium. FMG would have been a 60 bagger, RIVs 80 bagger, PDN 100 bagger, AGO 30 bagger (bagger = times on initial investment).

Within 4 years we went from $20m to $600m and traded out before the crash. We now operate privately.

It can all happen very quickly but you need to be ready for when it does.

Wow, great insight!

Think I hear all the 18 year olds on this board clamouring to open accounts as I speak ;)

Well done mate on your great success

Also for anyone else interested, here are a few of the books i've read so far that are helpful and interesting in their own ways, bare in mind they aren't a "do this you'll make 6 billion dollars in 10 minutes" book. Just interesting tales, outlooks etc.

Stock Market Outsider by Philip Fanara
The Buy Side by Turney Duff
An American Hedge Fund by Timothy Sykes
What I Learned Losing A Million Dollars by Brendan Moynihan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back