Any Stock Tips? - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone considering the PAI IPO?
Appears to have a history of outperforming the MSCI Asia Index, ETF-style overseas exposure
Our firm was considering it (sorry for bumping it) to give to our clients but we thought it was just platinum trying to flog off another LIC because internationals did so well.

Just stick to PMC, probably a better LIC of platinums imo.

Anyone have any M2 shares? Just about to browse a 240 page scheme booklet regarding merger with Vocus. I have NFI on how to vote on this.

Anyone watching or investing in A2M? Huge surge mid-late December after upgrade on earnings, but came crashing down post Xmas. Very much a buy buy buy mentality before the dive and the price couldn't be justified fundamentally. Now we're back $1.66 after a low of $1.49 before CSI opened.
One to keep an eye on. I'm currently holding and looking for another opportunity to dip in again. I can see this performing similarly to BAL and BKL if A2M can get their supply side up. Their HY result announcement in Feb will be important.

Anyone watching or investing in A2M? Huge surge mid-late December after upgrade on earnings, but came crashing down post Xmas. Very much a buy buy buy mentality before the dive and the price couldn't be justified fundamentally. Now we're back $1.66 after a low of $1.49 before CSI opened.
One to keep an eye on. I'm currently holding and looking for another opportunity to dip in again. I can see this performing similarly to BAL and BKL if A2M can get their supply side up. Their HY result announcement in Feb will be important.
I got on A2M in early November last year when they were in the low 70's. I missed the Bellamy's train but A2M has been kind to me. They're my largest holding.

I also jumped on Bega and Vitaco.

Vitaco might be one to look out for. They're releasing financials in Feb and all indications are that it will be impressive. They've been slowly drifting downwards on the back of no news.

I got on A2M in early November last year when they were in the low 70's. I missed the Bellamy's train but A2M has been kind to me. They're my largest holding.

I also jumped on Bega and Vitaco.

Vitaco might be one to look out for. They're releasing financials in Feb and all indications are that it will be impressive. They've been slowly drifting downwards on the back of no news.
Great work getting on A2M <$1.00, my mate was telling me about it when it was around $0.90 but I had exams at the time so didn't have time to look into them deeply. Do you intend to hold them long term?

Bega has been performing well too. I checked Vitaco out a few weeks back, it hasn't grabbed me as A2M have. I really like what A2M do, they're product range and what they're currently doing with expansion. VIT's products and brands don't hugely appeal to me. I work in a pharmacy so I've got a fair idea of what sells well and what doesn't. A2M and Bellamy are off the charts lol their stage 3/toddler formulas are constantly out of stock in all pharmacies and supermarkets. It's crazy. We've held VIT's Musashi and Aussie Bodies as part of our nutrition and health foods range and they don't sell well for us at all. I can't speak for health and nutrition stores that sell them though. Nutralife do ok. Wagner are sold at a premium compared to many other similar products from competitors. They have their loyal customers though who always come back. Again, they do ok. Blackmores and Swisse dominate the vitamins.

I haven't looked at them too much since having a brief look at their brands and products. What do you like about them?

Great work getting on A2M <$1.00, my mate was telling me about it when it was around $0.90 but I had exams at the time so didn't have time to look into them deeply. Do you intend to hold them long term?

I haven't looked at them too much since having a brief look at their brands and products. What do you like about them?
Yep, definitely looking long term. I think they still have a long way to run. The baby formula boom is incredible. You can go down to Coles/Woolies at night and see all our Chinese friends literally standing around and waiting for staff members to bring out the Bellamy's and A2 milk. I think the stage 3 formulas are popular because kids in China get fed on formula well past the recommended age range and they also sell for a few dollars cheaper.

One of the major things I was looking at when I invested recently was the penetration into the Chinese market, which Vitaco has successfully done so far through online retailers such as tmall and continues to do so. Unlike their sports nutrition range, their vitamin and supplements range doesn't really have a presence here as it does in NZ.

The performance of similar companies in the sector, the profitability of their acquired brands, management focused on China, release of half yearly results around the corner in February.. we'll have to see how it all stacks up but I'm expecting good things.

This article that came out the other day sums it up pretty well for me.

Yep, definitely looking long term. I think they still have a long way to run. The baby formula boom is incredible. You can go down to Coles/Woolies at night and see all our Chinese friends literally standing around and waiting for staff members to bring out the Bellamy's and A2 milk. I think the stage 3 formulas are popular because kids in China get fed on formula well past the recommended age range and they also sell for a few dollars cheaper.

One of the major things I was looking at when I invested recently was the penetration into the Chinese market, which Vitaco has successfully done so far through online retailers such as tmall and continues to do so. Unlike their sports nutrition range, their vitamin and supplements range doesn't really have a presence here as it does in NZ.

The performance of similar companies in the sector, the profitability of their acquired brands, management focused on China, release of half yearly results around the corner in February.. we'll have to see how it all stacks up but I'm expecting good things.

This article that came out the other day sums it up pretty well for me.
Yep the baby formula sales are going nuts. I should start buying some of the stage 3/toddler formulas from work and sell it online or to a Chinese onseller. I'll probably get better returns on that than playing the current market lol

Thanks for the article, good introduction to the company for me. I'll have to dig into the prospectus. It looks like the SP has dropped since the high after floating and has somewhat stabilized. The article seemed to highlight the pros for VIT, are there any concerns you have on it?

Yes I'm in on ESI as well Freak Dodgeball Accident. SP will continue to drop like this until some kind of news/ann is released. If its negative be prepared for the SP to get slaughtered. I'm probably not as convinced as you on their prospects but we'll see. Interestingly under Indian corporate law (I think/off the top of my head) as it stands a percentage of various company's revenue is to be 'invested' in environmental causes. I wonder if there is scope for some of that money to come ESIs way for current and future projects.
Hey mate, you still on ESI? It's finally happening today (hopefully get the announcement this arvo after close).

I've unfortunately had to sell over half my holdings early December. Still holding just over 1m options, so the portfolio is looking pretty nice at the moment. Good luck!

Hey mate, you still on ESI? It's finally happening today (hopefully get the announcement this arvo after close).

I've unfortunately had to sell over half my holdings early December. Still holding just over 1m options, so the portfolio is looking pretty nice at the moment. Good luck!

I still hold and am finally making a tidy little profit (as of the trading halt). Thinking about selling out of ESI and putting more into ANR.

Anyone got any thoughts on the Banks???
CBA, WBC, ANZ and NAB - all under performing.

It's just a bad time in the economic cycle for them. In the short term they'll probably struggle with an increase in bad debts, the possibility of more regulatory changes and the shaky global economy. In the medium to long term they'll continue ploughing along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of ANZ and dividends, Morgan Stanley recently downgraded them and said they expect ANZ to pay a divy of $1.51 per share this year, compared to $1.81 in 2015. That's pretty bleak but a lot of people and agencies hate their exposure to Asia.

EDIT: Also, Deutsche bank reckon's NAB will cut it's dividends from $1.98 in 2015 to $1.88 this year. It's so weird talking about the big 4 cutting dividends.

Last edited:
Anyone got any tips for a 22 year old with 10k he's looking to do something with other than it sitting in the bank earning stuff all interest?

Got absolutely no idea when it comes to the stock market side of things, is now a good time to be buying if I'm looking to put some money away long-term? If so has anybody got some advice on where to start?

Anyone got any tips for a 22 year old with 10k he's looking to do something with other than it sitting in the bank earning stuff all interest?

Got absolutely no idea when it comes to the stock market side of things, is now a good time to be buying if I'm looking to put some money away long-term? If so has anybody got some advice on where to start?
Term deposit, or research the bond market. ASX far too volatile to sink $ into at the moment.

If you're interested in getting into equity trading, definitely look up the BBC telemovie 'Million Dollar Traders' - I think it's broken up into three 1 hour episodes on Youtube. Very informative! Lex van Dam/Anton Kreil are some of the best in the business. They both now run trading academies; Anton's is based in Singapore and has seminars regularly in Australia which are occasionally free of charge.

Don't put any money in that you think you'll need within the next 5 years.

Simplest method is index funds, but get professional advice.

Get a hold of a copy of the bare foot investor and have a read

Go overseas and have some fun. Markets are far too volatile at the moment to bother with as a 22 year old who should be having the time of his life

Have a look at domacom.com.au

Keeping the Kidman Station in Australian hands

Worth a look.

This depends on so many variables in your life, it's almost impossible to answer. Do some learning about investing and don't piss it away is my advice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back