Anybody else wear footy shorts when you go swimming?

What do you wear when you go swimming.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A few years ago we had an exchange student living with us from Germany, who was (still is) a competitive swimmer. His host school was the same one as Rhys Palmer (ex Freo/current GWS). Before the German came along, Rhys dominated most sports at the school, so was a bit thrown by his new competition. At the interschools the German wore a full fast skin (Ian Thorpe style and still legal back then) while Rhys took to the pool in his footy shorts and got flogged :)

A few years ago we had an exchange student living with us from Germany, who was (still is) a competitive swimmer. His host school was the same one as Rhys Palmer (ex Freo/current GWS). Before the German came along, Rhys dominated most sports at the school, so was a bit thrown by his new competition. At the interschools the German wore a full fast skin (Ian Thorpe style and still legal back then) while Rhys took to the pool in his footy shorts and got flogged :)
Which school out of interest?

Maybe this is just a rural thing, but when i was growing up footy shorts were all the rage when going for a swim. Even the girls used to all wear them. If you didn't wear footy shorts when you went swimming, you were not cool.

Now whenever i go for a swim it's as if I've been living in a foreign country. Everybody just seems to wear board shorts, apart from the old fat dudes that wear budgie smugglers. Where have all the footy shorts gone?
are you lebanese?

Footy shorts, there is no better! **** wearing boardies that go down below your knees, you look like a goose. If you can find board shorts that actually finish mid thigh then all power to you
No way! Maybe if you shop at surf shops you'll have a hard time, but you see boardies in a respectable length a lot. They're everywhere in most shops.

I wear footy shorts to the beach a bit, it is a bit of a flog move but for me it's pretty hard to justify spending like $60 on a decent looking pair. It is a slightly bogan and a bit of a flog look but whatever, it can be a good representer though.

They are the complete swimming short. They also serve well doing jobs around the house. I do feel uncomfortable buying them as I no longer play but might need to make a short comeback to justify buying a couple of new pairs

not sure if this is an Adelaide thing, but at Glenelg yesterday, I noticed every 2nd guy under 25 wearing footy shorts on the beach. Almost at 1990s levels, so don't fear OP, they are making a comeback, but I realise that Melbourne is a little behind in the fashion ranks compared to Adelaide and may take a few months to get there

footy shorts = amazing

here in country victoria we love our footy shorts, I wear mine when I go swimming, school sports carnivals, P.E at school, around the house & the beach

I am not the only one who does this either.
popular teenage boy trend

yep - same here and most of my mates/brothers too.

anything but these fuglies:

8KsErYK.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, then first time I went swimming in Belgium, they tried to kb me from the pool because of them.

Had a heated argument with Johnny Froggo about it which ended up with me saying that as an Australian, I knew more about swimming than him.

That said they made me wear the budgie shorts after that.

These are people who built a swimming pool on the third story of a ye olde mediaeval building though.

And if you go an hour up the road to Antwerp, for some reason they are OK with dudes wearing footy shorts.

Europeans seem to take their swimwear too seriously. If footy shorts spare us sight of leatherlike old man in smugglers, I'm cool with that,

They were all ruthless on what you couldn't wear in, but had no delineation for fast/slow/medium lanes.

A shambles.

Back