Anyone else sick of hearing about ANZAC Day and what makes us Australian yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

You just don't get it. Soldiers enact orders, (normally) inside the rules of engagement.

I was reading an old copy of British newspapers 70 years ago. They announced the liberation of Dachau. Most of the guards captured were executed on the spot. Now tell me about soldiers just following orders again?

Your beef is with politicians (past and present) , and you're welcome to it. Don't take it out on soldiers though. The vast majority simply did what they were ordered to do, which is in keeping with the oath they swore. If you don't like what they were ordered to do then that's your prerogative, but try to Open your mind and understand that Anzac Day is very meaningful to those of us who have returned from active service, for very personal reasons.
Those soldiers should be the first ones on the politicians backs about what they were sent to do. They are the strongest anti war voice there is.

Actually, you've made it abundantly clear that you don't get it at all. But it's obvious you have no interest in listening to me. I wish you all the best in your endeavours.
not the issueof how ypu sprnd anzac day. it s about the indocrination of our children into war. those who dont speak the truth play a role here as you can accept or reject the offical propanganda

It absolutely stuns me that soldiers talk about loyalty to their mates and all that, but stick their head in the sand and shirk the issue of politicians sending more of their mates to go kill and die.
exacltly my thought. these guys would let it happen again.

exacltly my thought. these guys would let it happen again.

FFS you guys are naive. What exactly do you expect returned service men to do? Most are just trying to get on with life in some.form If you want to lobby politicians or whip up a protest then go for it.

Why you 2 feel entitled to an opinion on something that you very clearly don't understand is beyond me. If you want something to change then start something.

Why you 2 feel entitled to an opinion on something that you very clearly don't understand is beyond me.
Your post was a non-response. What is it we don't understand?

I asked why you feel such a bond with your mates but have no interest in understanding the reasons why wars exist, or better yet, stopping them and more of your mates dying?

FFS you guys are naive. What exactly do you expect returned service men to do? Most are just trying to get on with life in some.form If you want to lobby politicians or whip up a protest then go for it.

Why you 2 feel entitled to an opinion on something that you very clearly don't understand is beyond me. If you want something to change then start something.
answer the question. how do you feel about what kids are being feed about war? Does truth matter to you? Do you care about thr future? You cant even bring yourself to have an honest open conversation about this.

answer the question. how do you feel about what kids are being feed about war? Does truth matter to you? you cant even bring yourself to have an honest open conversation about this.

I don't know what kids are 'being fed'. How can I answer the question? I'm not in schools, or in peoples homes listening to what is being told to children.

If you care so much about this issue what have you done about it?

You guys are kind of jerk to be honest. Brow beating people isn't the way.
C'mon. You've said how those who havent been an army just dont understand but you really have failed to provide any answers to questions posed.

What would you have me do?
Start thinking beyond 'following orders'. Why do you have no interest in the reasons a country goes to war?

You guys are kind of jerk to be honest. Brow beating people isn't the way.
you wont engage. Dockshark , i dont want past wars to be sanistised and glorified. we know this is happening with the amount of money being spent to govt 300million, and war pr0n coverge in our media and what is being said at school. it is obvious all this is being done to soften up the public for another war. China. another so alled sacrifice. i will resist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you wont engage. Dockshark , i dont want past wars to be sanistised and glorified. we know this is happening with the amount of money being spent to govt 300million, and war pr0n coverge in our media and what is being said at school. it is obvious all this is being done to soften up the public for another war. China. another so alled sacrifice. i will resist.

You might be right, but none of that is the fault of servicemen dead or alive. ANZAC Day is what this thread was about right?

I was reading an old copy of British newspapers 70 years ago. They announced the liberation of Dachau. Most of the guards captured were executed on the spot. Now tell me about soldiers just following orders again?
Our soldiers compared to Nazis. Now I've seen everything :$

I am against war. However, you have no respect for war veterans and those that are only doing their job.
greatest respect is to acknowledge the historical past honestly in order to prevent the same thing occuring. you will obey ever order from your boss even if immoral ones or ones that lead to corruption?

Our soldiers compared to Nazis. Now I've seen everything :$

We worked with a lot of NAZI's who were transferred to the Americans after the fall of Germany, to maintain the rage against Russia. If you think you're so clever that you know NAZI's, then you 'd know this.

If you knew, you wouldn't of made such a stupid retort.

Anzac myth making

Writing the Great War: Sir James Edmonds and the Official Histories 1915–1948 Green, A. 2003, London, isbn: 0-7146-8430-9

History of the Great War Based on Official Documents by Direction of the Historical Section of the Committee of Imperial Defence: Military Operations Gallipoli: Inception of the Campaign to May 1915 I, Aspinall-Oglander, C. F. 1929, Heinemann, London, oclc: 464479053

During the writing of OH Gallipoli volume I (1929), Aspinall-Oglander the Official Historian, pieced a narrative together from the testimony of lower-level commanders, which revealed that inexperienced [Australian] troops who were landed in the wrong place and whose officers became casualties, could not advance against negligible Ottoman opposition (500 men against 8,000 Australians) and many Anzacs straggled back to the beaches under the impression that a retreat had been ordered. By dark this had become so bad that Godley and Bridges recommended re-embarkation.

When drafts were sent to Australian officers for comment, the Times of 7 October 1927 printed a telegram alleging that the OH drafts portrayed a rabble, skulking on the beaches. Edmonds and the Australian Official Historian Charles Bean wrote that the claims were false but the Australian High Commission formally complained and Aspinall amended the narrative, to accommodate all official Australian complaints, at the expense of accuracy. In its place he wrote

... hardly any of these men were stragglers in the ordinary sense of the word. Some of them had come back to the only centre of authority they knew in search of fresh orders. Others had returned in consequence of rumours that an order had been given to retire. Many of them though desperately weak were in high spirits. (OH Gallipoli I (1929) p. 197; in Green (2003) p. 114)

clearly, in the light of the above, this is a circumlocutory version of the original draft, worthy of Sir Humphrey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back