Anyone else sick of Port Adelaide fans? (Or not)

What do you reckon about Port Adelaide and their fans?

• They can all get stuffed! (Oh, and keep their thieving mittens off our B&W stripes)

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I enjoy a good fairy tale, good on 'em!

Votes: 26 61.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't disagree with any of that...
Ok first of all am I supposed to vote on the poll? As I am not sure what I should go with.

And with what you said (that I have just quoted), why do you not want us wearing black and white if we are not playing vs you guys? I really don't see how it makes any difference.
I have conceded that clearly when we play you guys we need to wear our mostly white clash jumper or an all teal jumper (for home or away or finals or even a grand final vs Collingwood).

Also, we should remember that both Collingwood F.C. and Port Adelaide F.C. not only share black and white in their history, but also are both the most famous and well known (and hated) clubs in our respective states.
It's got to be the black and white stripes that inspire such hatred from rival clubs, as not sure if you guys realise it but we were always the most hated side in SA, and all sides would come together to want us to loose, so if we played any side in the grand final, the whole state supported the other side we played.
From what I hear about the history of Collingwood it's similar as all Vic clubs hate you guys.

From how alot of the Collingwood fans on this forum have responded I have to say I am going to support Collingwood as my 2nd side (never had a 2nd side before) but apart from a few, most all of you are happy for us to wear the prison bars and I think that's really amazing and shows alot of respect, so I am happy to say that Collingwood is now my 2nd side.

Last edited:

Another breed, the preview thread of next weeks game on their board enlightened me lol

It's not something that's exclusive to only Hawthorn supporters.

Football/sport often brings out the worst in people.

It's not something that's exclusive to only Hawthorn supporters.

Football/sport often brings out the worst in people.
I agree 100%, but also I think we need to be mature (yes I know it's a big ask and funnily enough Collingwood supporters seem to be the most mature, which goes against everything people told me).
Then I realised, the reason so many make jokes about Collingwood supporters is the same reason that other South Aussie clubs makes jokes and spread stuff about Port Adelaide... it's JEALOUSY!

Just been reading on Collingwood history more and you guys got a good history with working class supporters (same as Port Adelaide) basically the more I read I realise that we are the south aussie version of you guys... successful and tough working class club and hated for it.

Also thanks for cheering for us in the 2004 Grand Final :D I was there with my dad and it was the most memorable match ever... I am happy we helped protect your record of 4 flags in a row, as Brisbane aint a real proper club anyway.

Last edited:
Also, we should remember that both Collingwood F.C. and Port Adelaide F.C. not only share black and white in their history, but also are both the most famous and well known (and hated) clubs in our respective states.
It's got to be the black and white stripes that inspire such hatred from rival clubs, as not sure if you guys realise it but we were always the most hated side in SA, and all sides would come together to want us to loose, so if we played any side in the grand final, the whole state supported the other side we played.
From what I hear about the history of Collingwood it's similar as all Vic clubs hate you guys.

From how alot of the Collingwood fans on this forum have responded I have to say I am going to support Collingwood as my 2nd side (never had a 2nd side before) but apart from a few, most all of you are happy for us to wear the prison bars and I think that's really amazing and shows alot of respect, so I am happy to say that Collingwood is now my 2nd side.

There are similarities in history no doubt, and my team in sanfl has always been the magpies (ad swan districts and southport sharks to that list too).

But if swan districts tried to enter the AFL wearing black and white I'd be the of the same opinion I have when it comes to port. Remember, your club agreed to enter the AFL on condition they couldnt wear black and white prison bars or call themselves the magpies. Why should collingwood agree to go back on the agreement?

Imagine if collingwood wanted to join the sanfl back in the 80's? Do you for a second think port would agree to allow us to wear black and white?? Not a chance in hell. Your history to me starts in 97 as the power and you have the 2004 premiership jumper to wear if there is a clash.

We protected our brand when we agreed to let you into the AFL. Blame your clubs administration for that agreement. Your current jumper is better than the prison bar imo anyway. I've no idea why you don't want to wear it all the time.

Seriously.. this is a stupid topic.. We don't own Black and White and Port Adelaide can wear it for all i care, it's just colors and it doesn't make any difference at all. 2nd of all, I'm getting really tired of these childish comments. Grow up.. Who gives a s**t about the color of they're stripes. I love watching Footy, I don't think we need to have these kind of comments about another club at all. Good on Port Adelaide for making the finals and i wish them all the luck in beating Hawthorn this coming weekend, they will need it!

Why are there so many negative attitudes on here.. It's a game, don't take it to heart so much. Enjoy it! Cherish it!

I think Port fans are fine by the way.

Lets be honest here Port are in our comp. We were instrumental in creating it, when a club wants to join they have to be given permission by all existing clubs in the competition. Port was granted conditional consent by both Collingwood and Sydney stating they had to change their colours, song, logo and nick name when they came in. If Port do no longer want to comply to what they agreed to then back to the SANFL for them

Seriously.. this is a stupid topic.. We don't own Black and White and Port Adelaide can wear it for all i care, it's just colors and it doesn't make any difference at all. 2nd of all, I'm getting really tired of these childish comments. Grow up.. Who gives a s**t about the color of they're stripes. I love watching Footy, I don't think we need to have these kind of comments about another club at all. Good on Port Adelaide for making the finals and i wish them all the luck in beating Hawthorn this coming weekend, they will need it!

Why are there so many negative attitudes on here.. It's a game, don't take it to heart so much. Enjoy it! Cherish it!

It is only stupid to you, because you view it as simply someone wearing a jumper, a simplistic view far to many have.

Collingwood goes beyond "its just a game". It is a multi-million dollar business that needs to continue to thrive off the field and you don't do that be allowing a competitor to wear a knock off of your brand.

Childish comments? Nothing childish at all. There is a reason our administration made port add a colour to their jumper. Because we are the black and white. Its our brand. I'm glad we forced them into a corner. I consider the fact that we are black and white in Australia a valuable asset and I dont want any one anyone to cheapen our product.

Could you seriously imagine if say coolangatta got the licence for Gold coast and said "we have a proud tradition with a jumper like Carlton and we are gonna wear it in the AFL"??? Carlton would have a meltdown and rightfully so. Its not childish at all. Its protecting your heritage, enforcing your rights and just plain old standing up for yourself.

Port Magpies shared some great players with us in the past. Other than not keeping maxwell, what have Port Power done for us? They screw us every chance they get (Nick Stevens). Mark Williams wasn't our "brother" when he gladly blocked that trade.

Don't get fooled by this BS love fest Port fans want to dazzle you with. They'll play our friend to get the black and white back and then all of a sudden they'll start saying "can't we be the magpies when we dont play collingwood". They are our enemy like any other of the 17 teams. Dont give em an inch. We should be rubbing their nose in it that we are black and white not pandering to our little south australian brother.

From my perspective its Port fans that need to grow up, accept that their administration sold their history down the gutter for the fortune and glory of playing in the AFL.

Jesus I'm glad our administration has some passion about owning the black and white unlike some of our supporters.

No other clubs share colours. So why should we share with PA. True Carlton, North and Geelong all have Blue and White but are vastly different shades of Blue and jumper designs. PA still have black and white on there jumper they have just added teal. Also their current jumper is one of the better looking one's anyway.

For the record I totally admire Port for where they have come from over the past two years, from a basket case that was almost irrelevant to the comp, to capacity crowds and a team that plays great footy to watch. Will be cheering for the power on Saturday arvo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Childish comments? Nothing childish at all. There is a reason our administration made port add a colour to their jumper. Because we are the black and white. Its our brand. I'm glad we forced them into a corner. I consider the fact that we are black and white in Australia a valuable asset and I dont want any one anyone to cheapen our product.

Could you seriously imagine if say coolangatta got the licence for Gold coast and said "we have a proud tradition with a jumper like Carlton and we are gonna wear it in the AFL"??? Carlton would have a meltdown and rightfully so. Its not childish at all. Its protecting your heritage, enforcing your rights and just plain old standing up for yourself.

Port Magpies shared some great players with us in the past. Other than not keeping maxwell, what have Port Power done for us? They screw us every chance they get (Nick Stevens). Mark Williams wasn't our "brother" when he gladly blocked that trade.

Don't get fooled by this BS love fest Port fans want to dazzle you with. They'll play our friend to get the black and white back and then all of a sudden they'll start saying "can't we be the magpies when we dont play collingwood". They are our enemy like any other of the 17 teams. Dont give em an inch. We should be rubbing their nose in it that we are black and white not pandering to our little south australian brother.

From my perspective its Port fans that need to grow up, accept that their administration sold their history down the gutter for the fortune and glory of playing in the AFL.

Jesus I'm glad our administration has some passion about owning the black and white unlike some of our supporters.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you come up as insecure about our club. Which as this thread proves, 9 out of 10 Collingwood fans aren't, because we simply are the biggest club in the land and don't have to look up to anyone.

Aren't you tired of entertaining rivalries with every single one of the other clubs in the competitions? Personally I do not give a s**t about Melbourne, the Bulldogs, GC, Adelaide, West Coast, St Kilda — but all these teams seem to hate us and get up for our games. We play "finals-like" blockbuster games every second week and get vultures attacking us whenever we're weak as you might have seen in the media in the second half of the year.

With Port you have a club that basically lived the same thing in their home state, has a similar working class history and shared similar symbols for most of its history. We also shared the tragedy of one of our players passing away.

Colours are just that. The Collingwood FC has a history that goes much beyond being black and white. It's not like Port have kept the Magpies name (that would be awkward), and their jumper doesn't even have the same design as ours. Now let's stop getting upset at random things, let Eddie do that just to remind everyone not to * with us.

And GO PORT this weekend.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you come up as insecure about our club. Which as this thread proves, 9 out of 10 Collingwood fans aren't, because we simply are the biggest club in the land and don't have to look up to anyone.

Aren't you tired of entertaining rivalries with every single one of the other clubs in the competitions? Personally I do not give a s**t about Melbourne, the Bulldogs, GC, Adelaide, West Coast, St Kilda — but all these teams seem to hate us and get up for our games. We play "finals-like" blockbuster games every second week and get vultures attacking us whenever we're weak as you might have seen in the media in the second half of the year.

With Port you have a club that basically lived the same thing in their home state, has a similar working class history and shared similar symbols for most of its history. We also shared the tragedy of one of our players passing away.

Colours are just that. The Collingwood FC has a history that goes much beyond being black and white. It's not like Port have kept the Magpies name (that would be awkward), and their jumper doesn't even have the same design as ours. Now let's stop getting upset at random things, let Eddie do that just to remind everyone not to * with us.

And GO PORT this weekend.

Haha insecure about our club? Jesus christ you show some passion around here and you're told "dont take this the wrong way... But you sound insecure"... Is Eddie insecure about our club for not wanting to let the power wear a magpies jumper?

I'm not tired of rivalries. I live for them. And I certainly dont believe this jumper issue is being worried about "random things". I dont want them wearing our colours or a jumper that they wore as "the magpies". They wear the prison bars you may as well let em be called the magpies as everyone identifies that jumper with the magpies not the power.

Actually we do.

Exactly. How hard is it for them to understand. They sacrificed the magpies and their prison bar to enter the AFL as the power with the sbs jumper. Why they never went with a variation of the prison bars with teal included is beyond me. The jumper choice (up until the school girl designed the great jumper they have now) has been horrendous. It is arbitrary of modern day port supporters to say "we want to wear prison bars" yet they never want to wear the 3 jumpers that came before it?? (Or the variations of black and white stripes that occurred between '47 & '51)

If port said we will wear our previous jumpers on a rotational basis with a different clash jumper every year (i.e. Rose, then magneta, then blue hoops, then prison bars, then sbs, then each and every other woeful incarnation of their clash/away jumpers) then I could see the logic. They'd be honouring all of their history not just claiming one aspect of it.

The white jumper they wore last night is fantastic. I dont understand why they didnt want to wear it against richmond. Except of course to piss us off yet again.

Celebrate your AFL history and wear the sbs jumper as the clash. You know the jumper you actually won an AFL flag in?? Isn't that jumper more sacred now than any jumper that won an sanfl flag anyway??? If not, well it should be. AFL flags are harder to win with 16 (now 18 clubs) than a small comp with what 10 teams max?

From the Blue and White Hoops, to the Magenta, we have worn each of those previous jumpers in Heritage Rounds. We also wore the 04 "SBS" version against Brisbane earlier this year.

I love our BiB guernsey, but the fact remains, the Prison Bars is an important part of PAFC History and should be honoured appropriately.

From the Blue and White Hoops, to the Magenta, we have worn each of those previous jumpers in Heritage Rounds. We also wore the 04 "SBS" version against Brisbane earlier this year.

I love our BiB guernsey, but the fact remains, the Prison Bars is an important part of PAFC History and should be honoured appropriately.

Yep its honoured every weekend when the magpies wear it in the sanfl which is where it belongs.

Nah not sick of them nor do I have any issues with their black and white stripes. If they win a bunch of premierships Geelong / Brisbane style, they'll get pretty old pretty quick though.

Actually we do.

Actually we DON'T.. It's ******* colors.. No one owns colors.

To the others.. Clearly you guys have forgotten it is a game.. Not life and death. Go around acting like your head as been cut off, whilst we have all sorts of problems in the world. So much negativity, try looking at the positives of football and not always dwelling on the bad and having a whinge.

Many teams in different sports and leagues share colors.. THEY ARE FRICKIN COLORS!!.. COLORS.... Not freaking gold or something.. jebuz.

Not quite true. A team or organization can 'own' a colour in a its respective sporting competition. For example Ferrari own the colour red or as they call it Ferrari red in F1. To this extent when Vodafone entered F1 they had to change the shade of red they they used and limit its use on its cars, or else it would have been to similar to Ferrari.

In the context of the AFL competition we own the rights to wear black and white stripes. Pretty simple really...

Back