Anyone here play hockey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey everyone!

I am currently living in Vancouver and was about to start playing hockey after taking skating lessons but unfortunately my visa cannot be renewed so will be coming back to Melbourne. Have looked at starting when I return at O'Brien Group Arena but was surprised by the cost of playing.

$21 just to go skating, unbelievable...pay $5 herein Canada and they have sessions which are a $1 haha!

I can get setup here with all equipment for around $350...wheres the best place to buy equipment back at home? I am weary of buying off the internet and shipping as sizing I have no idea and then don't want to organise and pay for return shipping/exchanges etc.

Has anyone got experience with the programs at either Oakleigh or O'Brien Group Arena?

Cheers!

Bring it home with you - you won't find a better deal in Aus

Even paying for an extra bag is cheaper

Yeah have thought about it but not 100% sure that I'll play in a team...I want to take some classes to see if I'm okay to take the next step in playing or if I like it at all.

Cheers!!

Hey everyone!

I am currently living in Vancouver and was about to start playing hockey after taking skating lessons but unfortunately my visa cannot be renewed so will be coming back to Melbourne. Have looked at starting when I return at O'Brien Group Arena but was surprised by the cost of playing.

$21 just to go skating, unbelievable...pay $5 herein Canada and they have sessions which are a $1 haha!

I can get setup here with all equipment for around $350...wheres the best place to buy equipment back at home? I am weary of buying off the internet and shipping as sizing I have no idea and then don't want to organise and pay for return shipping/exchanges etc.

Has anyone got experience with the programs at either Oakleigh or O'Brien Group Arena?

Cheers!

Agree with Scotty. Buy before you come back. You'll get a far better fit if you buy in store and Australian prices will be crazy compared to in Canada.

Also it doesn't hurt to get a bit nicer gear for some things if the prices are good in Canada. Good skates will usually last longer as well as being nicer to wear.

If you do need to buy anything here, there's a shop at each rink.

In terms of programs, I don't have much experience, but there are good people running the NLHA program at Oakleigh and the Ice House (O'Brien Group Arena) programs.

Also, there are scrimmages if you want to try playing more actual hockey. The NLHA scrimmages at Oakleigh would probably be better to start with than drop-in hockey at the Ice House.

Last edited:
Agree with Scotty. Buy before you come back. You'll get a far better fit if you buy in store and Australian prices will be crazy compared to in Canada.

Also it doesn't hurt to get a bit nicer gear for some things if the prices are good in Canada. Good skates will usually last longer as well as being nicer to wear.

If you do need to buy anything here, there's a shop at each rink.

In terms of programs, I don't have much experience, but there are good people running the NLHA program at Oakleigh and the Ice House (O'Brien Group Arena) programs.

Also, there are scrimmages if you want to try playing more actual hockey. The NLHA scrimmages at Oakleigh would probably be better to start with than drop-in hockey at the Ice House.

Thanks so much for your help.

What's the second hand market like in Melbourne to sell equipment?

Thanks so much for your help.

What's the second hand market like in Melbourne to sell equipment?

I'm actually not sure. I tend to wear my gear out rather than sell it. The second hand market is probably not that big seeing hockey isn't a mainstream sport here. There does seem to be a lot of new people taking up hockey though.

I figure most people buy or sell by word of mouth. Apparently there is also this Facebook group for buying and selling:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IceInlineAusBSS/

Not sure what else except ebay, Gumtree and the usual things.

Last edited:
Yeah have thought about it but not 100% sure that I'll play in a team...I want to take some classes to see if I'm okay to take the next step in playing or if I like it at all.

Cheers!!
Plenty of opportunities for new players. I'd have a think about buying OS and bring a full kit home with you, at a minimum get your skates and a stick there. If you are taking classes at Docklands they've got gear to borrow. There are heaps of people taking it up who are looking for gear on the cheap so if you didn't end up liking it, there'd be no issue in moving your gear on.

We have a few guys starting out in Summer league this season who have done a few terms of intro and intermediate lessons, they are going OK.

Plenty of opportunities for new players. I'd have a think about buying OS and bring a full kit home with you, at a minimum get your skates and a stick there. If you are taking classes at Docklands they've got gear to borrow. There are heaps of people taking it up who are looking for gear on the cheap so if you didn't end up liking it, there'd be no issue in moving your gear on.

We have a few guys starting out in Summer league this season who have done a few terms of intro and intermediate lessons, they are going OK.

Thanks so much for your help. I think I'll buy some equipment here and pay for extra baggage.

What type of stick would you recommend?

There's a hockey store here that have a 2 for 1 sale so I wouldn't mind picking up a beginner stick and another one for when I get better.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your help. I think I'll buy some equipment here and pay for extra baggage.

What type of stick would you recommend?

There's a hockey store here that have a 2 for 1 sale so I wouldn't mind picking up a beginner stick and another one for when I get better.

The model of stick probably doesn't matter too much for you at this stage. I think the difference between the cheaper composite sticks and the expensive ones might be in the flex technologies. Maybe avoid the very cheapest, but at this stage you are unlikely to tell any difference between a decent stick and the latest/greatest (except by the money you'll save).

More important is getting a stick that is comfortable for you and has the right flex. Get them to help you get the length and flex right for your weight/height and to choose a lie (blade angle) and blade curve that you'll be comfortable with. Don't go excessive with the curve, you probably want a curve that's pretty versatile at this stage. I'm guessing they should be pretty good at helping you with that stuff at the shops in Canada.

Another thing to consider if you will start playing games is having two of the same stick. Helps a lot not having to get used to a new stick if one breaks.

See if SonOfScray or anyone else has recommendations of specific models.

Last edited:
I grabbed a couple of Sherwood 5030 wooden sticks to start off with, use them in the garage now but they'll do the trick early days for next to nix. I reckon everyone who has played, or has ever shot pucks in the yard has had a few. Cut them to size at home, tape em up and you're away. Spend your money on a decent bucket and skates. Flex etc just isn't going to matter for a while, IMO. Stick with the basic, mid curve, around 80/90 flex and you can't go wrong.

You will notice a huge difference when you upgrade to a composite stick once you're up and about and have got your hands going.

I grabbed a couple of Sherwood 5030 wooden sticks to start off with, use them in the garage now but they'll do the trick early days for next to nix. I reckon everyone who has played, or has ever shot pucks in the yard has had a few. Cut them to size at home, tape em up and you're away. Spend your money on a decent bucket and skates. Flex etc just isn't going to matter for a while, IMO. Stick with the basic, mid curve, around 80/90 flex and you can't go wrong.

You will notice a huge difference when you upgrade to a composite stick once you're up and about and have got your hands going.

Agree with this. I actually enjoyed playing with a wooden stick for a while while I was a student and couldn't afford paying for composites (especially when you lose $150-300 replacing composites when they randomly break). Wooden sticks have a good feel as a beginner too.

Good you mention helmets because mild concussions seemed to be the most common injury I had (even though I rarely get injured playing hockey compared to soccer and other sports). A nicer helmet was probably the best investment I made gear wise.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The model of stick probably doesn't matter too much for you at this stage. I think the difference between the cheaper composite sticks and the expensive ones might be in the flex technologies. Maybe avoid the very cheapest, but at this stage you are unlikely to tell any difference between a decent stick and the latest/greatest (except by the money you'll save).

More important is getting a stick that is comfortable for you and has the right flex. Get them to help you get the length and flex right for your weight/height and to choose a lie (blade angle) and blade curve that you'll be comfortable with. Don't go excessive with the curve, you probably want a curve that's pretty versatile at this stage. I'm guessing they should be pretty good at helping you with that stuff at the shops in Canada.

Another thing to consider if you will start playing games is having two of the same stick. Helps a lot not having to get used to a new stick if one breaks.

See if SonOfScray or anyone else has recommendations of specific models.

Sounds good thanks!

More important to get two sticks the same or two that are slightly different if you want different needs?

Thanks for your help.

I'll probably go with a couple of composites...they have buy one get the second 50% off here so pretty good deals.

Yeah. Apart from the actual league games, if you have gear there is drop-in hockey at the Icehouse and there is also some drop in at the Oakleigh rink.

Icehouse rink schedule with drop-in times:
http://www.obriengrouparena.com.au/calendar

League info:
http://www.ihv.org.au

I have heard with the leagues that there is a draft?

Are season and registration fees expensive? That's probably the biggest expense here in Canada...to play in a team costs around $6-700 a season.

Sounds good thanks!

More important to get two sticks the same or two that are slightly different if you want different needs?

Some people keep a longer stick for defense or have a practice stick for at home.

I prefer two of the same because then whenever I pick up a stick and practice or play it feels the same.

It takes a few skates to adjust properly to a stick with different length, curve or lie. Different lies are probably the hardest to change between.

I have heard with the leagues that there is a draft?

Are season and registration fees expensive? That's probably the biggest expense here in Canada...to play in a team costs around $6-700 a season.

There is a draft for winter league. For summer league I think they just check that you can skate okay.

Last winter registration was about $200 and fees were about $500-$550 I think, so probably similar to what you said. Summer league is usually cheaper.

Do you guys wear cut resistant socks and are they necessary? Cheers.

Do you guys wear cut resistant socks and are they necessary? Cheers.

No. I didn't even know they existed. I just wear normal socks on my feet and the team socks that go over my shin guards.

Most shin guards have flaps that wrap around to protect backs of leg, so that and the knitted team socks provide some protection from skates.

The essentials are:

- Skates
- Stick
- Gloves
- Helmet
- Padded Shorts
- Shins
- Shoulders
- Elbows (get some that your arms don't feel too restricted with)
- Box/Cup (I prefer jockstrap version)

Last edited:
Slap shots to the nadder region hurt more than snap shots do! At pro level - Think Dennis Lilly full front on direct hit. Only a puck is harder than a cricket ball!

And doesn't weigh much less.

I've had some close calls but luckily just got bruised inner thighs. Considering I've had a perfectly straight on slap shot cause a bone bruise through my shinguards, I don't want to imagine a direct hit down there.

And doesn't weigh much less.

I've had some close calls but luckily just got bruised inner thighs. Considering I've had a perfectly straight on slap shot cause a bone bruise through my shinguards, I don't want to imagine a direct hit down there.
I never played organized hockey when I was a kid. I played in a rec league when I was in my late 20s. Rules dictated no slap shots & no body checks - the oldest players must have been in their early 50s - main goal was no blood, no ambulances, no broken hips. That freaking piece of rubber could hurt if it hit you where there were not pads - even at less than 100 km/hr.
It was still a lot of fun. I never learned to skate backwards with any kind of skill or speed. But I did enjoy skating forward & chasing the puck - didn't score a lot - very rarely in fact.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back