Banter Anzac Day Wager....

Remove this Banner Ad

Ya think Moore is a match for Daniher eh? Good luck with that.

Personally I'd think the likeliest route to a Pie victory will be through dominating the midfield, because I quite genuinely think you don't have a winning 'tall' matchup anywhere on the park.
Bombers have won just 2 of the last 9 anzac day matches, how many finals has essendon won in the past 5-10 years ? 1 maybe ? Just don't have many big game players. On paper you guys should win, but i wouldn't be surprised if the occasion gets to the bombers. We are missing too many mids to dominate a decent midfield (sidebottom, adams, greenwood) if this was the return game i would say bombers have an 80-90% chance but i reckon bombers only have have a 55-60% chance of winning this weekend

Deathly serious. I would think Bellchambers would be a SUBSTANTIALLY higher regarded player than Grundy ATM.

Not that I don't rate Grundy, think he'll be a gun.

We won't be carrying a second ruck either - haven't done all this year.

As for Cloke, he might kick four because actual games don't go the way we suggest they will. But on form alone you'd say Hooker (or even Hurley) would give him an absolute bath.
lol. Make sure they both bring towels because I suspect there will be two form one team needing to be dried and that team won't be Collingwood.

Hooker won't be within cooee of Cloke.

The rest are all debatable enough, but this? I think Clokes reputation far outstrips his performance with you gents. Hooker is probably (and arguably at worst) the best KPD in the game; and on form a superior player to Cloke.

I reckon it's a huge call when our midfield dominance comes into play.

What midfield dominance?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't, but assuming you WILL? Highly doubtful. Sure, we didn't play too crash hot against the scum, but that withstanding we have a very good midfield ourselves.

Wow... Bombers supporters, you'd think they were sitting on top of the ladder and undefeated for the past 3 years the way their supporters rate their side.
Bellchambers v Grundy, I'd take Grundy every day of the week!!

Bombers have won just 2 of the last 9 anzac day matches, how many finals has essendon won in the past 5-10 years ? 1 maybe ?

ZERO. But I'm not sure what bearing either of those stats has on the likely victor this week?

Just don't have many big game players.

Eh? Right now we probably have 2, maybe even 3 of the AA back 6 (granted the season is three games old).

We also have a Brownlow medallist (as do you), a man that was flat out robbed of a Norm Smith, one that HAS a Norm Smith, another player that delights in playing you blokes on the big stage...

I'm not getting in to the 'who has more big game players' argument, but to say we don't have many, bizarre and wrong.

On paper you guys should win, but i wouldn't be surprised if the occasion gets to the bombers. We are missing too many mids to dominate a decent midfield (sidebottom, adams, greenwood) if this was the return game i would say bombers have an 80-90% chance but i reckon bombers only have have a 55-60% chance of winning this weekend

Yeah Id say 55% our way ATM. If Carlisle and Zaharakis play I'd push it to 65%. Cooney loss hurts, Zaka would compound that. A lot will depend on the performances of Watson, Heppell, Melksham, Goddard and Colyer.

The rest are all debatable enough, but this? I think Clokes reputation far outstrips his performance with you gents. Hooker is probably (and arguably at worst) the best KPD in the game; and on form a superior player to Cloke.

What midfield dominance?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't, but assuming you WILL? Highly doubtful. Sure, we didn't play too crash hot against the scum, but that withstanding we have a very good midfield ourselves.
Sorry but I'm, more than happy that Cloke will dominate him. It's not going to be like in the past where we haven't had tall forwards and the ball gets put on his head. Hooker will want to have been doing some serious distance training and won't have teammates to rely on like in the past. They'll all be looking after White, Gault and Elliott. I'm also suspecting that you are using our 2014 midfield in your assessment which would be a big mistake given that it bears zero resemblance with the exception of Pendles. A rejuvenated Swan will now take a significant amount of looking after if you want to get close and then you'll need to wonder who's going to stop Pendles and our other mid rotations. No, I wouldn't be basing anything on what you saw last year.

Deathly serious. I would think Bellchambers would be a SUBSTANTIALLY higher regarded player than Grundy ATM.

As for Cloke, he might kick four because actual games don't go the way we suggest they will. But on form alone you'd say Hooker (or even Hurley) would give him an absolute bath.

By who?

Bellchamber is a hack and I'll take a bet on who wins the ruck duel because I'm confident Brodes will smack him.

Wow... Bombers supporters, you'd think they were sitting on top of the ladder and undefeated for the past 3 years the way their supporters rate their side.
Bellchambers v Grundy, I'd take Grundy every day of the week!!
What I'm liking is that clubs are making the assumption that they are playing the 2014 version of Collingwood and some of them are in for a big shock. In any case, now that the emotion of the ASADA verdict has subsided, that little wave the bombers have been riding will soon become nothing but a ripple.

By who?

Bellchamber is a hack and I'll take a bet on who wins the ruck duel because I'm confident Brodes will smack him.

How do you qualify who 'wins' a ruck duel?

Sure, somedays it can be bleedingly obvious, but often it is difficult to define.

A hack? Geez..... a few people accusing me of being overly biased.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'm liking is that clubs are making the assumption that they are playing the 2014 version of Collingwood and some of them are in for a big shock. In any case, now that the emotion of the ASADA verdict has subsided, that little wave the bombers have been riding will soon become nothing but a ripple.

I'm not assuming anything.

But of course, what I saw of you in late 2014 has some bearing on my opinion of the Pies.

And to be fair, your 2015 hasn't been outstanding. You beat the Lions in eerily similar circumstances to our win over the scum, and you were fairly easily controlled by the Crows.

ZERO. But I'm not sure what bearing either of those stats has on the likely victor this week?

Eh? Right now we probably have 2, maybe even 3 of the AA back 6 (granted the season is three games old).

We also have a Brownlow medallist (as do you), a man that was flat out robbed of a Norm Smith, one that HAS a Norm Smith, another player that delights in playing you blokes on the big stage...

I'm not getting in to the 'who has more big game players' argument, but to say we don't have many, bizarre and wrong.

Yeah Id say 55% our way ATM. If Carlisle and Zaharakis play I'd push it to 65%. Cooney loss hurts, Zaka would compound that. A lot will depend on the performances of Watson, Heppell, Melksham, Goddard and Colyer.
You don't understand what a big game player is ? hmmm.. It isn't a coincidence that Sidebottom plays well above his usual performances in every final and anzac day games... its because he is a player that rises to the occasion, swanny the same, pendles also. Even Dale Thomas. I know its a bad look having a go at him now given he has left but beams wasn't a big game player, he went missing in grand finals and never really was best on ground in any finals.

You have chappy, goddard and other than that I'm failing to see many.

How do you qualify who 'wins' a ruck duel?

Sure, somedays it can be bleedingly obvious, but often it is difficult to define.

A hack? Geez..... a few people accusing me of being overly biased.....

I'm as biased as they come, sir.

Especially when it comes to my man crush.

Bellchambers is going to get Grundy'd.

Bellchambers may be up against both Witts and Grundy.

You don't understand what a big game player is ? hmmm.. It isn't a coincidence that Sidebottom plays well above his usual performances in every final and anzac day games... its because he is a player that rises to the occasion, swanny the same, pendles also. Even Dale Thomas. I know its a bad look having a go at him now given he has left but beams wasn't a big game player, he went missing in grand finals and never really was best on ground in any finals.

You have chappy, goddard and other than that I'm failing to see many.

What an odd and totally unquantifiable claim.

Joe Daniher played the best game of his career in a final. Is that how you think it works?

It's a very, very poor argument my friend. Just one of those lame, 'I don't have anything else to offer' type points.

I'm not assuming anything.

But of course, what I saw of you in late 2014 has some bearing on my opinion of the Pies.

And to be fair, your 2015 hasn't been outstanding. You beat the Lions in eerily similar circumstances to our win over the scum, and you were fairly easily controlled by the Crows.
Unfortunately for you, any opinion based on late 2014 is an opinion based on our VFL side. Adelaide is one that we certainly screwed up but even in the space of 3 weeks the side has changed significantly from the start of the season. With Swanny looking like he's recapturing his best form and players like Adams and Crisp providing way more out of the middle this year I think your mids will well and truly have their hands full. We also now have enough weapons in the forward line so that the double teaming that went on last year is not an option and Clokey is playing much higher the way he did in 2010/11. We may not have the best backline in the league but it certainly looks to be getting there and probably won't see much of the ball this week anyway with Grundy making Bellchambers feel significantly second-rate.

Bwuhahaha! :D Yeah, maybe best to wait until a few more games have been played before you even try that one on.

Yeah true.

Can't deny they've been in damn good form though. :D

Unfortunately for you, any opinion based on late 2014 is an opinion based on our VFL side. Adelaide is one that we certainly screwed up but even in the space of 3 weeks the side has changed significantly from the start of the season. With Swanny looking like he's recapturing his best form and players like Adams and Crisp providing way more out of the middle this year I think your mids will well and truly have their hands full. We also now have enough weapons in the forward line so that the double teaming that went on last year is not an option and Clokey is playing much higher the way he did in 2010/11. We may not have the best backline in the league but it certainly looks to be getting there and probably won't see much of the ball this week anyway with Grundy making Bellchambers feel significantly second-rate.

Sounds like you like my bet.

Yeah true.

Can't deny they've been in damn good form though. :D

Form needs to be examined over a longer period of time. Last year we beat Sydney in round 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back