AO TV Coverage Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping that now the Open is over that 7 have a good look at their coverage and realise that there's plenty that needs fixing :
- Johanna Griggs - knows about as much about tennis as my dog - find someone who does to host.
- Bruce is just a pain - his habit (which he surely cannot break by now) of always asking inane questions makes it almost impossibly hard to listen to him......doesn't it?
- The women's commentators they have just offer nothing - who the hell is Sam Smith anyway? And what credibility does Stubbs offer in terms of grand slam tennis? Not to mention her interview skills are worse that those of year 11 media studies student (who's your dream date? Really......)
- The antics of Leconte are well past their use by.

On the positive side Jim and Fitzy are still good to listen to and Lleyton has a job whenever he wants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

where did you hear that

Channel 7 announced it on their coverage yesterday or the day before.

A positive I will give 7 is that they do show tennis basically from 11am to Midnight every day for 2 weeks.

They have also added many cameras on court in RLA and there have been some great images shown throughout.

Not many promos like Kia hot shots that used to be replayed non-stop. More actual match coverage was a positive.

Lleyton Hewitt, Woodbridge, Smith, Matt White, Rachael Finch are other positives.

If they can somehow move to HD next year I will be very happy. 7 will also start multiple court coverage online next year so looking forward to that as well.

They have to replace Griggs; I still don't know how she managed to land the gig in the first place. She can't pronounce half the names correctly and in her ''interview'' last night, she stole half her questions from Courier.

She's a six time grand slam champion. :confused:
Should have added the word "singles" in there.

Let's face it - the singles champions are the ones we remember. Just shows how badly off we are when we have Smith (highest ranking in singles #55) and Stubbs (highest ranking in singles #64) as our brilliant insights into the women's mindest in the finals....

I hope for the sake of next year's tournament channel seven executives and producers are currently conducting a full review of their Australian Open Coverage.

Overall the CH7's effort was not up to scratch and would barely achieve a pass mark. Sure there we were some positives but a major overhaul- especially in regards to commentators and multi court/channel coverage is required for next year.

Happy to provide constructive feedback from a viewers point of view...
* High Definition is a definite requirement
* A Multi channel "red button" type setup is required so viewers can choose games.
* Let viewers choose between TV commentary or Crowd Audio to listen to
* Harsh but Bruce's time is up needs to be moved on. I believe someone like a Matt White should be groomed into the role. Get him brushed up on his tennis knowledge and he can fill the role. I think tennis fans could get use to him and he already has the generic today/tonight "I only follow tennis for two weeks of the year" type viewer base warmed to him.
* Present an open cheque book to Lleyton Hewitt and pay him whatever is required to be an expert commentator upon retirement.
* Scrap the lame, social media based stupid questions asked of players in the on court interviews. Keep these for filler and pre-recorded interviews with the players. Get likes of Rachael Finch, Sherri Lee Biggs to conduct these.
* Team up current players like say a Tsonga or Cornet with say a Geoff Masters or Basil- (as long as he calms down) to be a guest commentator for lesser-like day matches (like what they did with Hantuchova).
* Introduce more Analysts in depth discussion like Wally Masur does on fox sports. Roger Rasheed perfect for this role.
* Last but not least get rid of and no more mentioning of RedFoo. No more. Zada. Zilch. Nada. JUST NO.

I still think the coverage is 100 times better than it was 5-10 years ago so I'm not complaining. They do focus on showing the tennis instead of other things which is a positive now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back