Discussion Apparel Manufacturers Discussion, Rankings, Wishlist

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine that someone has already mentioned this somewhere, but I haven't found it at a glance - as of yesterday, ISC appear to be letting you design and buy custom kits with a minimum order of 20 - http://www.iscsport.com/blog/custom-isc-teamwear-afl-player-pack-offer/
Make this
Port-1877.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stuff it, I'ma do a run down on each manufacturer

Adidas
On field
They have some obvious template issues, but excellent colours and fabrics. Their Essendon collar is one of the best, but the jumper is let down by straight sash.
Off field When they use club colours, its absolutely on point. I'm incredibly jealous of Essendon's off field range
8/10 - let down by on field templates

Bush League Kits
On field
Boring template, cheap materials and poorly put together. Colours are absolutely awful and their Adelaide home jumper this year just proves how amateur they are.
Off field Same sort of stuff as you find at K-Mart
1/10 - just give up already

Canterbury
On field
Small sample size, but they use a nicer blue than Blades did and the collar is distinct without being tacky. Let down by the cut off stripe.
Off field Most is pretty standard. Those shirts or hoodies or whatever they were with the big white funnel on the back were pretty awful, though. I guess they're still working out the market so I'll give them benefit of doubt
6/10 - too early to call, not too offensive

ISC
On field
They seem to adapt pretty quickly to change. They use a distinct yet unrestrictive template, and give very true representations of their teams guernseys. Some find their material too sleek and shiny, but I'm a fan of the more modern look.
Off field Pretty hit (see: Fremantle 2015) and miss (see: St Kilda 2015) given that they use the same templates for every team. Still, I like their designs, and they give clubs plenty of choice.
9/10 - I've been incredibly happy with them since they started with the Saints

New Balance
On field
The surprise package last year after a couple of years of the worst collar ever seen on a football field. They now have an excellent collar and fit, and beautifully rich colours. I'd like to see them stretch their wings a bit and pickup another team, although their side panels could be limiting for another team.
Off field On par with Adidas and Nike. Nice use of on field design features, with yokes featuring on some of Melbourne's gear. They also seem to have the sense to use Melbourne's monogram over their convoluted mess of a logo a lot of the time.
9.5/10 - manufacturer of the year for mine

Nike
On field
They've gotten better this year, but have previously been let down by ill fitting and mis coloured shoulder and side panels. Collar is getting a little long in the tooth. Carlton isn't exactly a difficult jumper, and its a little hard to judge them by it, but they're a shadow of their late 90s/early 00s selves.
Off field Awesome range, high quality and lots of choice. It's a bit conservative when you compare it to Adidas's range, but I guess that's just Nike.
7.5/10 - Inoffensive range, but for the world leader I think you could expect a little more

Puma
On field
Were innovative with their new template, and have now shown that they're willing to edit it to suit the clubs designs. Rich colours, good materials.
Off field I'm not a fan of Puma's current cut out shoulder design, but they make the high quality gear that you'd expect from an international sports brand. Colours are good, even if they're not the colours that fans would prefer.
7.5/10 - Good to see another big international holding onto their presence in the AFL and still making good quality gear

Star Athletic
On field
Pretty stock standard template, with an incredibly generic collar. Given that Collingwood could have done anything with them, its a little underwhelming. Hard to judge colours when they only do black and white (well, I guess they're doing better than BLK there). Superfluous white edges to the shoulder panels s**t me to no end.
Off field Pretty boring range, and a lot of it seems quite cheaply made. Just doesn't match Collingwood's biggest club in the land pitch.
4/10 - Very boring

For AFL I'd say Puma and Adidas

For football definitely Nike but have been impressed with what New Balance have done. Would love to see them pick up some more AFL teams

Does anyone know of any team manufacture changes coming up or new/old manufactures returning to the scene?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back