Are any Crows fans worried about our ageing supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm 17.

The large majority of people at my school are crows fans. (not to the extent that they post on BigFooty)

From my experiences as a "young" person I think it is safe to say that there are plenty of young crows supporters out there. In fact, me and a couple of my friends who support the crows are constantly bagging one of our other mates because he barracks for port. :D We outnumber him 4:1

As for the aging supporter base, who cares? As I said, there are plenty of crows supporters coming through.:thumbsu:

I'm 17.

The large majority of people at my school are crows fans. (not to the extent that they post on BigFooty)

From my experiences as a "young" person I think it is safe to say that there are plenty of young crows supporters out there. In fact, me and a couple of my friends who support the crows are constantly bagging one of our other mates because he barracks for port. :D We outnumber him 4:1

As for the aging supporter base, who cares? As I said, there are plenty of crows supporters coming through.:thumbsu:

We need to fight the good fight

I'm 17.

North, East, South, or west of Radelaide?

I'm 17.

Do you go to school in the North, East, South, West or city?

I was at the Morphett Vale footy club not that long ago. There wad 40-50 kids on the oval. More than half had crows jumpers on. 2 were in Port. There were more carlton and Hawks jumpers running around than Port ones. There were maybe 5 without any afl jumper on so admittedly they may have been Power fans.

We've had a lot of South & Glenelg players over our journey a lot come from junior ammo clubs down there.

The interesting thing about that day, of all the kids in crows jumpers only 1 had our current white clash and there were 2 in the old white clash but all the rest were in the home jumper. Which, I was surprised about.

There was even some weirdo kid in a Roosters guernsey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see having aged supporters as necessarily a bad thing. While some might argue that having too many older supporters in the crowd might impact their matchday experience, their influence on their children and grandchildren becoming the next generation of Crow supporters should not be underestimated. Many of my friends with young children have the obligatory baby photos with Crows gear, usually gifted by a fanatical older relative. If the children take an interest in the game, then this trend often continues with subsequent birthdays and Christmases.

The interesting thing about that day, of all the kids in crows jumpers only 1 had our current white clash and there were 2 in the old white clash but all the rest were in the home jumper. Which, I was surprised about.

There was even some weirdo kid in a Roosters guernsey.

Dirty Bird

That explains it really.

North - 70/30 crows
East - 70/30 crows
South - 50/50
West - 40/60 power (crows 40)
city - 50/50
I know crows fans my age all around Adelaide, not just my school. I can say with confidence, port supporters are the minority within my age demographic.

They're everywhere. Hell, 20 minutes ago you didn't even know a 17 year old posts on this board. :)

We have the oldies and the vibrant youth. With no bandwagoners to boot.

Most Port fans I see are usually around 40 (but look in their 50s) on public transport. Most of them mildy overweight with a bulging stomach, wearing Port shirt/cap, occasionally an out of shape, low quality teal shirt from the first showdown. Occasionally they yell at the driver in a loud, obnoxious, penetrating voice. I think they seem to acquire such a voice at centrelink check day when fighting for their spot in line or when someone steals their wifes cardigan.

Young people 17-23 from all around adelaide, I find the number of crows supporters way larger.

Most Port fans I see are usually around 40 (but look in their 50s) on public transport. Most of them mildy overweight with a bulging stomach, wearing Port shirt/cap, occasionally an out of shape, low quality teal shirt from the first showdown. Occasionally they yell at the driver in a loud, obnoxious, penetrating voice. I think they seem to acquire such a voice at centrelink check day when fighting for their spot in line or when someone steals their wifes cardigan.

Young people 17-23 from all around adelaide, I find the number of crows supporters way larger.

Don't forget stealing their Winnie Blues & Farmers Union Iced Coffee.

I know crows fans my age all around Adelaide, not just my school. I can say with confidence, port supporters are the minority within my age demographic.

They're everywhere. Hell, 20 minutes ago you didn't even know a 17 year old posts on this board. :)

We have the oldies and the vibrant youth. With no bandwagoners to boot.
Which players ignite the following of the youth brigade Dredd? You chose to follow the Crows over other alternatives, so what brings you into the fold?

Ahh c'mon your only talking about 95% of them. The other five are serving them.

My kids local club trains U/7 - U/10 on the same night.

There is consistently 3 kids that wear Port jumpers, a small sprinkling of other AFL clubs, then approx 95% crows jumpers

That explains it really.

North - 70/30 crows
East - 70/30 crows
South - 50/50
West - 40/60 power (crows 40)
city - 50/50
I'd have north 50/50. Big powa following in Salisbury, Lizbeff and Gawler

Which players ignite the following of the youth brigade Dredd? You chose to follow the Crows over other alternatives, so what brings you into the fold?
It was 2009, I was on a holiday with my family in the Gold Coast, I saw my Uncle (a crows fan) doing his fantasy team. I was interested in the concept and out of interest I began watching games.

The first game I remember watching was the 2009 QF against Collingwood. I remember yelling at the TV, not knowing any of the players names, all I remember is feeling joy and shock in a matter of minutes. From that shattering loss my love for the game and the Adelaide Football Club began.

My involvement and passion for the club has been growing ever since. I did school assignments on Goodwin's retirement and I didn't speak for days when we lost the PF against Hawthorn a couple of years ago. At the start of this season I began reading these forums. I have read every thread, from "the good, the bad and the uglies" to the "1000 page long drafting thread". At the start of this month I finally signed up and here I am.

Good times. Safe to say I have not missed a single game since that QF against Collingwood. :)

Last edited:
I said when AO was redeveloped that the escalators were a bad idea. Should have gone with steps.

Escalators have granted the fuddy duddies another 10 years.

Not only do they not make any noise but they also bring their own thermos and sandwiches (multi grain bread) and don't even spend a dollar.

Even knit their own merchandise/clothing instead of buying something.

They give absolutely nothing, plus probably pay a reduced price for their tickets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back