Are any Crows fans worried about our ageing supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

So I responded and I said that it was this sort of language that supports the comments about Port Supporters being feral. Then I received a notice that I cant call port supporters feral.
The issue I have is that their mod Ford Fairlane had a go at me when in fact I never called anyone feral.

Champ you are a fairly easy going placid bloke on here, dont let posters on that board spoil your experience on Bigfooty. The Ford Festiva is just a crap shitty car, you dont need to explain yourself. I on occasion read their board but have no desire to post on there. A few of their feral supporters tag me and try and bait me, it doesnt work ever.

If Port posters come on here and are respectful, I am happy that they do and contribute as well. They dont have to agree with me or anyone else for me to respect them, even if their opinion is polar opposite to what we think as long as there is evidence/theory to justify their line of thinking Im all for them contributing.

On their board, having a difference of opinion is not tolerated, I find them hard to respect when good posters from our board get suspended by a questionable mod for that.

2 years ago Port was getting 20,000 people to their matches. Funny what a difference winning does and once they start losing the bandwagoners will drop off.
Conversely, should we get a change in our club culture etc under the new regime, I think we will get even more people supporting us
Port say they have 50,000 + members but they only have 29,000 11-game members, all the rest are 3 game members , cats, dogs, babies etc
And kids these days are very fickle with their support, they change depending on who is winning , I now one kid who has at least 6 different club guernseys
So winning makes all the difference and thats what we need to do. Hawthorn almost merged with Melbourne 10+ years ago but by bottoming out and getting good draft picks and starting to win they have built up their membership to present levels

I just think the constant ridicule and banter based on less fortunate socio-economic circumstances isn't particularly clever, nor very funny, and I merely seconded another poster who thought the same thing. It says a lot about a person to find humour in such things.

Q. If you see a power supporter riding a bike down the street why should you NOT run him over?

A. Because it might be your bike.

Q. What do you get if you put 12 power supporters in a room together?

A. One full set of teeth.

Ridiculous how many people I see with Hawthorn gear on in Adelaide.
Growing up in Rostrevor and going to school at Morialta I knew dozens of Hawks fans. For some reason a lot of Norwood supporters were also Hawks supporters in my time.

Hawthorn were also very successful from when most of them were in the 10-15 age bracket which why it came about. People follow winners and in the 80's they were the winner.

Q. If you see a power supporter riding a bike down the street why should you NOT run him over?

A. Because it might be your bike.

Q. What do you get if you put 12 power supporters in a room together?

A. One full set of teeth.

are you saying you wouldn't recognise your own bike if you saw someone riding it?

Champ you are a fairly easy going placid bloke on here, dont let posters on that board spoil your experience on Bigfooty. The Ford Festiva is just a crap shitty car, you dont need to explain yourself. I on occasion read their board but have no desire to post on there. A few of their feral supporters tag me and try and bait me, it doesnt work ever.

If Port posters come on here and are respectful, I am happy that they do and contribute as well. They dont have to agree with me or anyone else for me to respect them, even if their opinion is polar opposite to what we think as long as there is evidence/theory to justify their line of thinking Im all for them contributing.

Thanks Grotto. Its appreciated.
On their board, having a difference of opinion is not tolerated, I find them hard to respect when good posters from our board get suspended by a questionable mod for that.

That mod in particular is a psychopath

After nearly 100 posts on the Port board, I got my first infraction from him the other day - Posted something in the ANZAC Day game thread, he moved it to a politics thread on their off-topic section... fair enough, I guess..

posted again in that, with a caveat something like 'now that no one will read this in here...' and I got infracted for being a smartarse about a Mod's decision...

At risk of sounding like a complete and utter prick, I think most young Crow supporters have more in their life than just football .. We don't have going out Crow Tracksuits.. And I wouldn't be caught dead holding a scarf up singing a corny INXS song. And when I go to the footy I go to watch it and not scream and shout like its life or death . If that makes me a bad supporter or an elitist prick then so be it..

( apologies to anyone who has a going out crows track suit )

Beautiful words F. Bassett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After nearly 100 posts on the Port board, I got my first infraction from him the other day - Posted something in the ANZAC Day game thread, he moved it to a politics thread on their off-topic section... fair enough, I guess..

posted again in that, with a caveat something like 'now that no one will read this in here...' and I got infracted for being a smartarse about a Mod's decision...

I did get an apology from the Festiva once in a PM.

From me not you. I was rude to you in that post in the Boak thread and it was not necessary. My fault for not reading your post properly.

Don't think this doesn't mean I don't reserve the right to pull you up if you do cross the line tho. ;)

I have closed the thread for the time being because of a range of comments that are sailing a bit close to the wind.
One club through its exploits, achievements and dominance of the local competition forced other clubs to raise their standard and make the local competition something better than it would ever have aspired to be. One club sows the seeds, harvests the crops, bakes the bread. The other clubs eat the sandwiches.

Back in 2012 when Boak was using Geelong as leverage to get more coin and the captaincy out of Port.

So - does anyone know someone who used to support the Crows and changed to the Power? I just don't think that happens. And acknowledging an aging base of season ticket holders, who have had their tickets for 20 years, doesn't mean there isn't a younger set of supporters out there.

We're an enormous sleeping giant in SA. Many of Ports latent supporter base has emerged over the last two years. Our will do the same once we start succeeding.
Macca19 supported the crows before switching to the power.

Many port supporters did the same which is reasonable.

It's a crude presumption. Port have approximately (and historically) have had about 30% of the supporter base in the State.

Where it's presumptive is that this equates to 70% Crows. This myth is of course how PAFC can oversell the Western Stand at AO - only 30% of members are Port fans so there will be plenty of seats to sell as guests.

It fails of course to account for the 1000's of (mostly Vic Club) other supporters who live here. A tally of my fb friends alone has that number of SA'ians who don't support either club in the 30's and I am sure most people know a good number as well.

I reckon it is more like 55-60% AFC, 30-35% PAFC, 10-15% other of those who are footy supporters.
As an estimate:

25% have no interest in afl
15% follow a non-sa team
40% crows supporters
20% port supporters

Reckon afc have a 2:1 following on pafc so nothing to worry about as long as we are well run...

Happens to me all the time. I have been told off for standing up to cheer a goal.

To be fair me and a mate have been going to Port games together on and off since 2004, this season at AO in the riverbank stand a well to do couple told us off for standing after a goal a few times

To be fair me and a mate have been going to Port games together on and off since 2004, this season at AO in the riverbank stand a well to do couple told us off for standing after a goal a few times
You're ruining the poor loves million dollar view!

Well to do???

I could go down to Vinnie's or the Salvos and buy clothes off the rack that would make me look like Aristotle Onassis, doesn't mean I'm "well to do"......

That's just a Powa perception of Crows supporters, you know the Chardonnay set etc

Most Port fans I see are usually around 40 (but look in their 50s) on public transport. Most of them mildy overweight with a bulging stomach, wearing Port shirt/cap, occasionally an out of shape, low quality teal shirt from the first showdown. Occasionally they yell at the driver in a loud, obnoxious, penetrating voice. I think they seem to acquire such a voice at centrelink check day when fighting for their spot in line or when someone steals their wifes cardigan.

Young people 17-23 from all around adelaide, I find the number of crows supporters way larger.
You catch public transport? Lols

At risk of sounding like a complete and utter prick, I think most young Crow supporters have more in their life than just football .. We don't have going out Crow Tracksuits.. And I wouldn't be caught dead holding a scarf up singing a corny INXS song. And when I go to the footy I go to watch it and not scream and shout like its life or death . If that makes me a bad supporter or an elitist prick then so be it..

( apologies to anyone who has a going out crows track suit )

I remember a Crows survey where I couldn't pick how passionate I was because the "passion scale" used phrases like "the Crows are my life" for the higher passion levels. I remember thinking I couldn't get much more passionate about the Crows but I'm not a ******* loser so where do I fit? it's not like you need to be a narrow-minded, ill-informed, clappy-clap, tracksuit wearing, game-day yelling, player idolising fanboy to be the most passionate. I'm really passionate about the club but I have balanced views on things, hobbies, education, a family, a career and I'm well informed. I would never describe anything as "it's my life" and I consider that to be completely sad if someone did.

Whilst I think that accurately describes some of the folks in the OP I don't think it describes many of the younger passionate supporters at all. Hell, if I ever turned into that give me a bullet.

I'm going to hazard a guess, that considering he seems to think centrelink physically deal out 'checks' that you have to line up for, that he may be making stuff up
Mate the whole concept is ridiculous but this is the web. If people are having a bit of a laugh I take it for what it is. If they are seriously believing some of the laughable claims:
Port supporters yell at bus drivers
Ports supporters are poor
PAFC are not the power and the magpies etc...
This normally breeds from an internal complex of insecurity or some historic hatred (which can also generally be derived from insecurity).
As I said, if it is for a laugh it's nothing to get worried about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back