Society/Culture Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah.
I go back to Malaysia every year to see my family back in Penang.

Have you ever wondered why Chinese Indonesians don't have Chinese surnames?

Or why universities in Malaysia depend on racial quotas?

Or why a thousand ethnic Chinese were killed in riots in Jakarta as recently as 1998?

But no you went to KL for a fortnight.

Clearly people making comments about Hijabs is more racist than forcing Chinese people to change their surnamesay with them. or letting people get better educations because they belong to a certain race.
You want to tell me? But then we get into another area like Aborigines.
FYI have relatives in KL and have been there many, many times and stay with them.
Disagree I have no problem with no need for put downs.

You want to tell me? But then we get into another area like Aborigines.
FYI have relatives in KL and have been there many, many times and stay with them.
Disagree I have no problem with no need for put downs.

Racism in Malaysia is between Malays and the two main minority groups - Chinese and Indians.

Ask your relatives what they think about the NEP

Racism in Malaysia is between Malays and the two main minority groups - Chinese and Indians.

They are coming here in August, will do.
I still believe that this great country has changed over the past 6 or so years and it is really sad.

Have you been to either country?
Let me give you an example, couple walking through shopping centre both wearing Tshirt and shorts, can walk about freely without ridicule or comments. Same couple dressed in their traditional garb (Muslims) in my suburb, sneers, derogatory comments, why?
You may challenge my credibility as much as you like, can only draw on what I have seen.
And what, that is not currently happening in France, Germany, the Netherlands or the US as we speak? You obviously have not noticed, but these are global issues that you speak of, not isolated to Australia. You really have your head in the sand are are coming across as terribly naive and insecure. It is you that needs to travel and experience other cultures first hand, instead of making massive assumption based on what is in font of your nose.

And what, that is not currently happening in France, Germany, the Netherlands or the US as we speak? You obviously have not noticed, but these are global issues that you speak of, not isolated to Australia. You really have your head in the sand are are coming across as terribly naive and insecure. It is you that needs to travel and experience other cultures first hand, instead of making massive assumption based on what is in font of your nose.
Wow, nice rant. Okay.

Decided to do some research on NEP and found 3 articles, which I found very interesting.
http://www.malaysia-today.net/so-let-us-debate-the-nep/
http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...9/pemikir-wants-elements-of-nep-brought-back/
http://www.economist.com/news/brief...-could-mark-turning-point-never-ending-policy
It was interesting thinking about it as you travel in Malaysia, that almost all the people in the lower levels service, commercial sector are either Malays or Indian but their immediate managers, owners are more likely to be Chinese or Chinese/Indian.
I can see where there is race discrimination and despite this the wealth is not held by the Malays.

Not as racist as other countries but too often that's used as a defence for the sizable amount of racism that does happen here.

A lot of otherwise kind people believe in the worst Aboriginal stereotypes. The relatively tepid outcry over treating asylum seekers like garbage has to have an ethnic factor.

We rightly deride America for its problems and stupid people. But Americans are more willing to accept Native and African Americans were screwed hard and the legacy to continues to today than we are with Aboriginals.

Australians have a poor understanding of Australian history and the world.

Last edited:
Would you say France was somewhat responsible for Germany's action in ww2?

I'd say that the rise of an ultra-nationalist party in Germany after WWI was inevitable.

Actually going so far as genocide however is something Nazi Germany did on it's own.

But hypothetically if Hitler had stopped with just annexing Austria and Czechoslovakia and didn't do the Holocaust then he'd have been remembered as a great leader.

We are probably the least racist country I have experienced. I think we're worse for it. Not in a migrant way but there's just a political correctness about Australia that I feel brings us down.

We are probably the least racist country I have experienced. I think we're worse for it. Not in a migrant way but there's just a political correctness about Australia that I feel brings us down.
It is certainly a problem that there are topics which cannot even be discussed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they are and I feel for them but does that mean that they necessarily have to become our problem to deal with ? I mean people keep comparing our current migrant intake with the extremely successful post war program from wartorn Europe but seriously even if we did have big infrastructure projects to get done like we did back then (and we don't) in our current immigration intake we are hardly bringing in people that are going to be capable of building the snowy hydro project are we.

I have no idea how you've come to this conclusion. Our immigration policy is based on a 'points' system that rewards those over a number of areas but in the main due to economic factors. How much money will you agree to invest in Australia? What are your personal resources? What previous business experience do you have? What is your level of education? etc. FFS the system even discriminates against families with 'burden' children like disabilities so you need to prove you're well off enough to provide for their care yourself. Our refugee intake is much smaller than the overall immigration system and in any case, numerous studies have shown that the children of refugees often go on to become some of the most productive and well educated people in Australia!

What nationalities are we more racist than?

The Scandinavians.

Anyone else?

Another almost homogenous ethnic group contained in a nation state formed from the hundreds of years of inter-ethnic and religious wars of Europe. Now that Sweden has started to open itself up to immigration from outside Europe, in particular refugees from Iraq and Syria there's been a huge backlash, much nastier than anything seen in Australia. The neo-fascist party called ironically the Swedish Democrats took 48 seats with 13% of the vote in their last election.

Malaysians, Italians, Indonesians, Americans.
Perhaps I should have put equal with the English.

Sheesh Maggie you're stretching it a bit there. Malaysia is a borderline apartheid state, Italy is notorious for it's endemic racism all the way to the top of politics, Indonesia ethnically cleansed East Timor in my lifetime and is attempting to do the same in West Papua, the US, well they're not as bad as some make out but I still think we've got them for harmony across ethnic groups mainly due to economic conditions that make it less of a dog fight.

I'll say again, this country has a racism problem, it's just not directed at anyone who's arrived here in the last 200 odd years.

'll say again, this country has a racism problem, it's just not directed at anyone who's arrived here in the last 200 odd years.[/QUOTE]
There is an old saying the one who is calling out racism all the time is in fact the actual racist. You might want to take this on board.

There is an old saying the one who is calling out racism all the time is in fact the actual racist. You might want to take this on board.

Good to see you again Louis! How's things? Can't say I've ever heard that one but good to see you're still up to your old tricks ay ;)

The Japanese were already at war. Just not with America.

They wanted to conquer SEA that's why they went to war.

Also find me the time the British did anything similar to Nanking?

Which you continually seem to deflect from.

Well a few examples come to mind.

To start with, the Japanese did not wake up one day and invade china. They were smart - the top jap spy sold opium to the Chinese for around a decade.

When they did invade it was fairly easy

I used to work with an Indian bloke who considered those in northern India to be blacks and monkeys.

Asian racial groups all believe each are inferior to one another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back