Are gyms for fat people?

Remove this Banner Ad

i think in regards to the treadmill vs walking outside convo

what a gym membership does, is get you in a routine, no matter what, ive got a mate who only walks when he's on the beach, he'll walk a couple of k's every day the sun is out, when its raining, he doesn't do much

treadmill is a lot kinder on dodgy knees and achilles too, particularly if you're carrying an extra 15

So happy that you're trying to change your life champ.

I have some advice for you, if you want to see some results quickly.

1. Eliminate these foods COMPLETELY...

- Alcohol (its the absolute worst, if you HAVE to have a drink, light beer, or vodka with soda water and a slice of lemon wouldn't be the worst.

- No soft drinks (of any kind, whether they're diet or not. Most people can eliminate soft drinks with ease, they're not good for you. Replace it with water, or even a healthy smoothie (actual fruit, no artificial sweeteners).

- No fried foods. (lightly frying something with olive oil in a saucepan is good, olive oil is good for you, but eliminate anything fried from take away stores).

- No take away. (if you HAVE too, go to nandos, get some grilled chicken and a salad with no chips. The grilled chicken helps out with your protein, so its a great alternative to eating KFC, McDonalds ect).

- Eliminate processed foods. (if you look at the ingredients on the back, and you don't know what food colouring 405, 304a, 310, 567b, 102 are, then dont eat it!
- Cut down your Gluten intake. (Gluten is like glue that sticks to your stored fat. Once we've burnt off our energy from recent meals, our body looks for the stored fat to burn off, if you've been eating gluten, it makes it difficult for your body to access stored fat, and also makes you feel bloated. Avoid white rice, flour, bread, pasta). If you HAVE too, go to the supermarket and get gluten free pasta or brown rice, wholemeal bread, they're better alternatives.

- Write down everything you eat. (Trust me, it helps you monitor everything).

Most people fail at getting the most from their gym work because they don't compromise on their diet. If you watch what you eat, you WILL see results, and that goes for anyone reading this.

How long should those rules apply to you? Forever! It's not a diet, its a lifestyle. I do it, and feel better than I've ever felt.

When it comes to workouts?

I do yoga, cardio workouts on the floor. My god it will kill you, and that gut you're looking at right now will shrink in size.

But in regards to your post, I think its great you're going to the gym and everyone with a positive outlook on life will feel the same. Just make sure you get the BEST results for yourself and keep motivated. The biggest reason people fail weightloss goals is because they give up. If you can't help it and you pig out of KFC, don't use that as an excuse to give up completely. Get back to working out asap.

Good luck man!

Whenever I see people exercising they are always thin, healthy people. Then I think, "Why are they doing that? Why aren't the fat peope doing that?" Then I realize I've answered my own question.

I don't fully understand gyms though. If you don't have a place for weights at your house or a cheap place to swim, then I guess a gym might be your answer. But what about people who pay to walk on a treadmill? You can walk for free. You can walk up stairs for free. You can ride a bike for the price of a bike - which would pay for itself in time. I wouldn't pay to go to a gym to do something that you can do any time outside of the gym.

The gym's better, for one I much prefer working out with others, I'll always get a lot more out of myself this way. Also, having the machines, cables & free weights gives you a lot more variety & keeps things interesting. Lastly it's always really clean & the perfect temperature, much better than some dingy garage. Oh, & of course there's always heaps of beautiful women too.

strong advice above.l dont think most people wanting to lose weight etc will do all that from the "get go".l think most people cut down on bad foods like smokers cutting down on smokes.

I agree with the guy you quoted especially re: alcohol & cigarettes. One of the guys I work out with is very motivated & always get the most out of himself, but he also has a low boredom threshold & binge drinks a lot. It definitely really limits his impovement.

So happy that you're trying to change your life champ.

I have some advice for you, if you want to see some results quickly.

1. Eliminate these foods COMPLETELY...

- Alcohol (its the absolute worst, if you HAVE to have a drink, light beer, or vodka with soda water and a slice of lemon wouldn't be the worst.

- No soft drinks (of any kind, whether they're diet or not. Most people can eliminate soft drinks with ease, they're not good for you. Replace it with water, or even a healthy smoothie (actual fruit, no artificial sweeteners).

- No fried foods. (lightly frying something with olive oil in a saucepan is good, olive oil is good for you, but eliminate anything fried from take away stores).

- No take away. (if you HAVE too, go to nandos, get some grilled chicken and a salad with no chips. The grilled chicken helps out with your protein, so its a great alternative to eating KFC, McDonalds ect).

- Eliminate processed foods. (if you look at the ingredients on the back, and you don't know what food colouring 405, 304a, 310, 567b, 102 are, then dont eat it!
- Cut down your Gluten intake. (Gluten is like glue that sticks to your stored fat. Once we've burnt off our energy from recent meals, our body looks for the stored fat to burn off, if you've been eating gluten, it makes it difficult for your body to access stored fat, and also makes you feel bloated. Avoid white rice, flour, bread, pasta). If you HAVE too, go to the supermarket and get gluten free pasta or brown rice, wholemeal bread, they're better alternatives.

- Write down everything you eat. (Trust me, it helps you monitor everything).

Most people fail at getting the most from their gym work because they don't compromise on their diet. If you watch what you eat, you WILL see results, and that goes for anyone reading this.

How long should those rules apply to you? Forever! It's not a diet, its a lifestyle. I do it, and feel better than I've ever felt.

When it comes to workouts?

I do yoga, cardio workouts on the floor. My god it will kill you, and that gut you're looking at right now will shrink in size.

But in regards to your post, I think its great you're going to the gym and everyone with a positive outlook on life will feel the same. Just make sure you get the BEST results for yourself and keep motivated. The biggest reason people fail weightloss goals is because they give up. If you can't help it and you pig out of KFC, don't use that as an excuse to give up completely. Get back to working out asap.

Good luck man!

TOP POST!!!!

i'm sure a few on here will do a few or maybe one of the things listed :thumbsu:

alcohol is my biggest killer.... but it's so much fun :(

but i've just finished studying and am still yet to get a job (not breaking any landspeed records just yet in the hunt for one admittedly ;)) so not having much income is actually helping to keep me off it (kinda) and keeping in the gym and on the training track.

i'm thinking a job will hurt my training. less time during the week for training and more money for weekends.... :-/

I am very overweight and have just joined a gym. My situation was that I was at one stage extremely overweight (195Kg) I had surgery a while back and took up walking and have dropped 60kg. I want to do the gym to help keep the weight coming off, and to give me a place to exercise in the cold winter months when outdoor exercise is less appealing. I had one session with a personal trainer to go through the equipment and help me to set some goals and a program. I did my first session today. While it was hard, i am very motivated to keep at it. It was hard in a good way I guess is the best way to put it, i felt good afterwards.

I think it is important for my mental health as well as physical to get to a normal weight. It is really quiet where I go to, or at least has been the times I have been there. That might make it a bit easier, but to be honest I don't care what other people think of me when it comes to this. As others have pointed out in this thread, the judgement would be far more applicable if eating junkfood than trying to make a positive change.

I am 135kgs at the moment and have the aim of getting to 100kg by the end of the year, which i think is a very realistic, achievable goal.

I am very overweight and have just joined a gym. My situation was that I was at one stage extremely overweight (195Kg) I had surgery a while back and took up walking and have dropped 60kg. I want to do the gym to help keep the weight coming off, and to give me a place to exercise in the cold winter months when outdoor exercise is less appealing. I had one session with a personal trainer to go through the equipment and help me to set some goals and a program. I did my first session today. While it was hard, i am very motivated to keep at it. It was hard in a good way I guess is the best way to put it, i felt good afterwards.

I think it is important for my mental health as well as physical to get to a normal weight. It is really quiet where I go to, or at least has been the times I have been there. That might make it a bit easier, but to be honest I don't care what other people think of me when it comes to this. As others have pointed out in this thread, the judgement would be far more applicable if eating junkfood than trying to make a positive change.

I am 135kgs at the moment and have the aim of getting to 100kg by the end of the year, which i think is a very realistic, achievable goal.

TOP POST!!!!

agree with everything you've said there

good luck mate, keep us posted on your progress

Have you added any weight training to your routine? it is much easier to keep the weight of if you have more lean muscle on your body.bye the way you have been doing a top job keep it up,l hope you get your goals.

Have you added any weight training to your routine? it is much easier to keep the weight of if you have more lean muscle on your body.bye the way you have been doing a top job keep it up,l hope you get your goals.
Yeah, about 1/3 to 1/2 the gym work I do is weights training. I also have some free weights at home that I try and use a bit. I am not very strong at the moment, but I am working hard to improve on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to do the gym to help keep the weight coming off, and to give me a place to exercise in the cold winter months when outdoor exercise is less appealing.
Living in Tassie, I can understand that.

Good luck. Sounds like you're making massive inroads, good on you. Just make sure you keep the motivation up when you get close to your goal weight and it stops coming off so quickly. That's always been my problem.

Yeah, about 1/3 to 1/2 the gym work I do is weights training. I also have some free weights at home that I try and use a bit. I am not very strong at the moment, but I am working hard to improve on that.

It takes time by all means keep going.l know when l started back at the gym l was only doing one day a week of weights and using light weights.eg 7.5kg for db presses and flys fastforward 18 months now doing 25kg and 22kg smashed some 27.5 today form not great at that weight yet.once your in a routine everything is easier and going up in weight every now and then helps build to a stronger body.once again well done on progress so far.

Muscles cells actually use more calories than a fat cell; so by building muscle you are also increasing your metabolism.

Increasing your metabolism is also a great way to lose weight.. as long as you stick to a diet or exercise regime.

If I see an overweight person at the gym I think "Good on them, great to see someone doing something about it."

Unless they are just there and not actually exerting themselves. I have a friend who will spend an hour on the treadmill at slow walking pace and another hour just hanging around doing nothing. You are there to get results so make sure you train hard! (y)

I went to a gym and had a weekly session with a PT some years back, to lose weight. Didn't work well as while the fat melted off, I was replacing it with muscle, so I was more changing my body shape and gaining fitness than dropping kilos.

It took a few months but I made the transition from paranoid fatbastard to don't-care regular. I was more self-conscious about my lack of workout gear to be honest - was a bit poor and the gym+PT fees saw no extra cash for clothes. Old shorts and holey t-shirts did me.

I found that I had an advantage in some exercises due to my size - legs came up really quick as they were so used to carting about 150kg everywhere. After three months I was stacking the leg press machine. And there is no better feeling than finishing a set and walking away leaving the pin in the lowest hole and getting nods and :thumbsu: from the ripped fitbuggers.

(I actually won some serious coin at work by betting I could leg press ten tons, 40 reps at 250kg, but thats another story. And a salesman made a lot more than me with side bets!)

Since then I've done the weight yoyo thing, couple of years back I did a serious preseason for footy umpiring including going on the Tony Ferguson shakes, and dropped from 125 to 92 over three months. I stabilised at a "running weight" of around 95 but since then have managed to pile it back on through (work/lifestyle/food/lamearse-excuse-of-your-choice).

Time to go back to the gym for me.

Managing your weight relies heavily on your lifestyle. But as for the gym component, most people go there, do their thing and mind their own business.

I've seen plenty larger bodied people at the gym work with support around them, enjoying the experience and feel good about themselves for making a positive change in their lives.

Replace all of your fluids with water.. Drink it like there's no tomorrow and drink on average 2-4 liters a day. You might think it's hard, but really it isnt.

I gave up all sugar, soft drinks, cordials, alcohol etc and reduced my meal portion sizes to small. Drink a large cup of water before you eat. In the last 4 months alone I've dropped nearly 10kg by doing this

Never do any cardio at the gym. Can't stand a tredmil. Bores the crap out of me. I'll do my hour of weights then on the way home stop at the local oval and run about 10 laps and head home. Also being in footy season helps training and playing 3 times a week. In the offseason I try hit it hard but does get hard working 6 days a week.

I know this is an old thread, but I am in a similar position to the OP, and I have taken a great deal of inspiration from the replies, so much so I have booked in a sign up appointment at my local gym.

Thanks to everyone who posted such positive comments, I have the courage to take the first step, your words are powerful!

If I see an overweight person at the gym I think "Good on them, great to see someone doing something about it."

I must admit I used to laugh at some of the people you'd see jogging around - you know, the far from athletic ones. Then the penny dropped for me that they deserved credit for getting off their arses and having a go. If anyone deserves criticism it's the ones who don't get off their arses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back