Are people underrating the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2012
East Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
In the last couple of weeks premiership favouritism seems to have shifted between the two birds of prey (the Hawks and the Eagles), with Freo somewhere in between.

I haven't heard anyone call the Swans a genuine threat since that 15 goal loss to the Hawks a month or two ago. They really seem to be flying under the radar right now.

This year they have had a decent record against the top 4. They nearly beat Freo at home when they were red hot and beat Hawthorn in the GF rematch. The West Coast game is sort of irrelevant since they were fielding their B-team. Honestly, meeting them in the qualifying or preliminary final would concern me more than having to play Fremantle.

IMO they're this years dark horse in the premiership race, just like in 2005 and 2012.

In the last couple of weeks premiership favouritism seems to have shifted between the two birds of prey (the Hawks and the Eagles), with Freo somewhere in between.

I haven't heard anyone call the Swans a genuine threat since that 15 goal loss to the Hawks a month or two ago. They really seem to be flying under the radar right now.

This year they have had a decent record against the top 4. They nearly beat Freo at home when they were red hot and beat Hawthorn in the GF rematch. The West Coast game is sort of irrelevant since they were fielding their B-team. Honestly, meeting them in the qualifying or preliminary final would concern me more than having to play Fremantle.

IMO they're this years dark horse in the premiership race, just like in 2005 and 2012.
We haven't been in great form since the bye an the injuries have been mounting, but we're slowly getting some players back whilst also hitting some form, I wouldn't call us a dark horse or anything, leave that to north or Richmond, if we hit our stride anything could happen, I'd just like for some consistency before finals.

Form & Fitness over the 2nd part of the season says no they are not being underrated. Will they win it ? No I Don't think so. Can they win it playing their best footy with Franklin Fit an Firing ? Yes. Hard to see it though but one thing is for sure and that is apart from the top 3 and namely Hawthorn their best is better than all others making up the 8 regardless of results during the season.

Buddy and Parker are buddy are big losses, they beat up on a weak GWS who are cooked

That said I respect swans ...they won't lie down and just give up ...

Can they still win ...yes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Struggling big time don't think they can beat Freo in Perth and cant beat the Hawks

Parker is a huge loss

If they don't shoot themselves in the foot this week against the Saints and do finish top 4 it is either a remarkable effort for a team who are struggling big time or does not say a lot for other finals candidates below them. No argument from me they have been very ordinary in a few games this year and that is what sees them still fighting for a top 4 spot instead of having it sewn up like they should but they have also been very good in bursts during quarters of games where that form is good enough to beat anyone. Consistent effort over the 4 qtrs has been their biggest problem but if they find it who knows.

Get to top 4 and anything can happen

In 2012 we lost to 3 of the top 8 sides in 3 of the last 4 rounds, were told we couldn't contain the Crows, beat Collingwood, win at the MCG or beat the Hawks. We did all of that. Get into top 4 and anything can happen. Just need some form and luck

They remind me of Sydney 2013 so it's easy to see why they aren't rated. Too many injures, although good enough to turn it around if they are very lucky.

We havent played near our best all year unfortunately, defence looks susceptible to multiple entries when it hits the ground, game plan has been poor, use of forwards average, then hit with injuries in weak areas,

Our best could pull it off, will it happen who knows

I think if we play Fremantle week one we should beat them though, almost ran them over with an average effort early in the year, and if it goes that way then you host a prelim.

But who knows, history suggests unlikely to win it all, but good to be somewhat in contention again

I'd back us against Freo somewhat (giving us a chance)...I have nightmares about what WC will do to us. Ideally WC beat Hawthorn and the Hawks have to play Richmond.
Wce can't do to any worse than what they already did to us, they were at home an we had no fowardline an were missing teddy down back. If anything I back us in against em, be positive my friend

It all starts again in September.

Form leading in that counts for nothing.

Any finals side could win it but history says top 4 or bust.

Balls in their court. Win Sunday and they will be top 4.

Saying that I wouldn't mind playing the Tigers playing them in week 2 if we got through in Sydney.

They're our bogey side (the game earlier this year is irrelevant given the outs they had at the time), are professional, seasoned finals competitors, and have experienced success over a long period of time. I'm dreading playing them more than I'm dreading Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back