Are Spurs a big rock climbing club?

Are Spurs a big club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask an Englishman 20 years ago to compare Spurs, Man. City and Chelsea in terms of which was the biggest club and he would almost always have said Spurs. Chelsea were ranked with West ham way below Arsenal and Spurs. Attendance figures in the decade up til then will support that. I have a fair insight into this. I lived and worked in London for some time.

What happened?

Money happened. Lots of money happened and Spurs have been left behind.

Ask an Englishman 20 years ago to compare Spurs, Man. City and Chelsea in terms of which was the biggest club and he would almost always have said Spurs. Chelsea were ranked with West ham way below Arsenal and Spurs. Attendance figures in the decade up til then will support that. I have a fair insight into this. I lived and worked in London for some time.

What happened?

I know, but it seems on here The posters seem to think English football started 10 years ago.

The posters who were on here some years ago weren't this ignorant

Big enough to be in the top 6 of 20 in England. If that's a percentage you care about.
Completely irrelevant in Europe and will remain so. More irrelevant in recent years than Portugal teams.
Irrelevant because we can't qualify for the CL. There's nothing to say we won't qualify in years to come though, especially with a new stadium on the horizon.

The one time we did play in it we reached the QF's and made a big impression. A far better campaign than City have managed so far.

Big enough to be in the top 6 of 20 in England. If that's a percentage you care about.
Completely irrelevant in Europe and will remain so. More irrelevant in recent years than Portugal teams.

The top 6 in England will be anything but irrelevant.
People seem unaware of how the coincidence of two financial realities will play.

1. The HUGE new EPL TV deal
2. The stink of corruption coming from Spanish football. The tax cheating at Barcelona about Messi and Neymar being merely the tip of the iceberg. The FIFA scandal will require a general cleaning up to some degree and Spanish clubs will probably be reined in on how they spend what is when traced European Union taxpayers money on "trophy" signings.

Financial Fair Play will insist on living within means - to some extent - and English clubs fattened on TV gold will have means others can dream of.

The 6th richest team in England will dwarf all but the biggest teams in Spain and Italy. In years to come the likes of Benfica and Sporting won't be able to sit at the same table as the Big EPL clubs - Spurs included - when it comes to talking hard cash....which despite all the window dressing guff about trophies is all that is really discussed behind doors when agents meet club lawyers.

People seem unaware of how the coincidence of two financial realities will play.

2. The stink of corruption coming from Spanish football. The tax cheating at Barcelona about Messi and Neymar being merely the tip of the iceberg. The FIFA scandal will require a general cleaning up to some degree and Spanish clubs will probably be reined in on how they spend what is when traced European Union taxpayers money on "trophy" signings.

Financial Fair Play will insist on living within means - to some extent - and English clubs fattened on TV gold will have means others can dream of.

The 6th richest team in England will dwarf all but the biggest teams in Spain and Italy. In years to come the likes of Benfica and Sporting won't be able to sit at the same table as the Big EPL clubs - Spurs included - when it comes to talking hard cash....which despite all the window dressing guff about trophies is all that is really discussed behind doors when agents meet club lawyers.
Never said they were.

I know, but it seems on here The posters seem to think English football started 10 years ago.

The posters who were on here some years ago weren't this ignorant
And Spuds fans seem to think the last 25 years don't mean anything.

You used to be a big club, you are now a level below the top 5. Get used to it.

What happened?

But the turnaround at Chelsea happened before Roman came along (mid to late 90's), theres no denying he was able to take us to that next level though.

Figures look pretty similar
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/toth.htm
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/chls.htm
Both clubs above West Ham though
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/whu.htm

But hey, people can have their own opinions i guess, its moot nowadays anyway as theres now a fair gap between the two clubs.

Everyone is aware mate. This thread is for trolling Wealdstone who bites at everything. don't ruin it with facts. I doubt FFP will be around much longer but the relevant authorities should be paying far closer attention to Barca/Real than they have been. They are basically criminals. Wrong thread for this tho

Irrelevant because we can't qualify for the CL. There's nothing to say we won't qualify in years to come though, especially with a new stadium on the horizon.

The one time we did play in it we reached the QF's and made a big impression. A far better campaign than City have managed so far.

Correct, Spurs will need to start spending to do that but nothing is set in stone. I think they need a big market this season though to have a shot at UCL qualification.

Unfortunately I don't see them doing that. They'll sell generally for good prices but reinvestment hasn't been that great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People not factoring in that our new ground will also give us an extra 40m per season, and there is all the cash we miss out on CL so that is why we are financially behind the 5 mentioned clubs.

Everyone is aware mate. This thread is for trolling Wealdstone who bites at everything. don't ruin it with facts. I doubt FFP will be around much longer but the relevant authorities should be paying far closer attention to Barca/Real than they have been. They are basically criminals. Wrong thread for this tho
I've also given you facts - you've just chose to ignore them!

I will say, as a person who is forced to believe more in performances than bank rolls (slow, tired, agitated look at 'Supported team') ... Top 6 is still admirable. That is the pass I'm giving.
Who is your team?

People not factoring in that our new ground will also give us an extra 40m per season, and there is all the cash we miss out on CL so that is why we are financially behind the 5 mentioned clubs.

When will it be finished?

Our new 65k seater rumored to be started in 2017, should give us plenty more £££'s.

Back