Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Siddons appointed coach of SA

They went hard at Gillespie but couldn't get him. Siddons is a solid appointment though. He has been in Wellington for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Travis Head has been appointed Red Backs captain too.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Travis Head on the radio this morning.

Apparently they're into pre-season. Up early for a run, then a swim, then some weights, then an ice bath. Schwerdt's got them working hard.

One of the 5AA idiots asked how Cosgrove was going with this regime? He's in Gloucestershire cricket playing county cricket...

You know what? I won't say I'm the be-all and end-all of knowledge, but...

HOW ABOUT SPENDING SOME ******* TIME ON BASIC SKILLS?

Who gives a s**t if they can run all day? Half the ******* game you stand still in the middle of a field.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
At a Shield game a few years ago the Redbacks were warming up before the match with a game of soccer.

One elderly wag yelled out, "How about practising some cricket?" which caused a chuckle among the other three people there.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Travis Head on the radio this morning.

Apparently they're into pre-season. Up early for a run, then a swim, then some weights, then an ice bath. Schwerdt's got them working hard.

One of the 5AA idiots asked how Cosgrove was going with this regime? He's in Gloucestershire cricket playing county cricket...

You know what? I won't say I'm the be-all and end-all of knowledge, but...

HOW ABOUT SPENDING SOME ******* TIME ON BASIC SKILLS?

Who gives a s**t if they can run all day? Half the ******* game you stand still in the middle of a field.
You still have to be fit, they are meant to be professional sportsman. I'm sure they spend time on basic skills!

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Physical Fitness is just as important as skills, especially in shield and test cricket. Mental fatigue plays a massive part in fielding, catching and decision making when you are fielding because the fitter you are, the longer your concentration levels last.

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Would rather they found a way to put fielding, batting and bowling into their fitness work. Surely it isn't that difficult to throw a few cricket balls into the mix

They will head off to Darwin soon for a dry season camp and ramp up skills there.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Would rather they found a way to put fielding, batting and bowling into their fitness work. Surely it isn't that difficult to throw a few cricket balls into the mix
Yeah like intense centre wicket training. Have guys bowling long spells at 3 qtr pace and blokes running quick 2s and 3s

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah like intense centre wicket training. Have guys bowling long spells at 3 qtr pace and blokes running quick 2s and 3s
Sounds simple but I don't know why any sporting team wouldn't spend the maximum time they can doing the skills. Under fatigue it's even better.

Plus - how boring is running?

SACA Membership News said:
SACA Member,

As communicated in May last year, the ‘Zadow Report' into Grade cricket in South Australia made a series of recommendations into how to improve the quality of Grade cricket.

The SACA Board has this evening endorsed a series of recommendations from that report, aimed at aligning Grade cricket with the National Player Pathway program.

As the link between community cricket and high performance, the Grade cricket competition will be reduced from 13 to 12 teams effective from season 2016-17; a move that will dispense with the existing bye and align the competition with the Adelaide Turf Cricket Associations’ (ATCA) scheduling.

The West End Grade Cricket Competition will be renamed the West End Premier Cricket Competition, effective as of season 2015-16. This will more clearly reflect the purpose of the competition and align it with the other states and territories in Australia who are currently, or in the process of, shifting to Premier cricket.

The Association has a responsibility to ensure that all money it distributes is being spent to ensure cricket is South Australia's favourite sport — a sport for all South Australians.

As such, the loosely tied grants that SACA has provided clubs in the past will be replaced with a funding application process to ensure that Grade clubs are working to help the organisation reach its strategic objectives.

There will be stricter governance with new guidelines to be developed by the SACA Board to ensure that the Grade Cricket Committee and Grade competition are working to enhance cricket in SA.
In the coming weeks, further discussions and information will be circulated to clubs for feedback and about the process for implementing these changes.

These changes will help reinforce a competition that is helping to make cricket South Australia's favourite sport — a sport for all South Australians.

Regards,

Andrew Sinclair
SACA President

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
This is all second hand so I may have it wrong but I believe the report that came out recommended four mergers which would have taken it down to nine teams and then a new 10th team out at Gawler. The merger recommendations were Uni-Prospect, West Torrens-Glenelg, Adelaide-Sturt and Woodville-Port.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
This is all second hand so I may have it wrong but I believe the report that came out recommended four mergers which would have taken it down to nine teams and then a new 10th team out at Gawler. The merger recommendations were Uni-Prospect, West Torrens-Glenelg, Adelaide-Sturt and Woodville-Port.
I heard only 1? did the mergers ever happen?

Back