Analysis Are we really a spooner side this year? I mean, REALLY?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn would have flogged the Dogs just as hard as they would have flogged us tonight. Makes no difference to how many games we win this year at all.

Whether you thought you'd finish last or not before last nights game, that should not now be any different. We had a very under strength team out there and we already aren't very good.

We'll finish bottom 3, probably last.

Hope we keep Steven.

AFL won't give us a priority pick.

Dogs played well enough to make me think they will surprise a few this year. I think the spoon will become a three way between the Demons, a topped up Essendon (AFL tribunal willing) and us. Bontempelli looked the goods against the filth.

I think we may be destined for another spoon, unfortunately. I hate being so negative about us atm but just can't see how we won't come last. This will make convincing Steven to stay a fair bit harder.

I think we may be destined for another spoon, unfortunately. I hate being so negative about us atm but just can't see how we won't come last. This will make convincing Steven to stay a fair bit harder.
I don't look at as negative, its the reality of where we are as a club and will be for the next couple of years, I have us winning 2 - 4 games this year and finishing 18th . Even finishing 18th I think we will improve a heap this year by getting Games into these Boys.
15 to 20 games For Dunstan, Billings, Templeton, Hickey, longer, Wright, Weller, Bruce, Newnes, Webster, Arces
5 to 15 games for McCartin, Goodard, Lonie, McKenzie, Membrey.
And I'm sure there is couple I have left out, but its a pretty good foundation IMO. Its just going to take a bit of time.

Last edited:
To me the key factors in whether we will be good or not are our 2nd rd draft picks.

DMac, Ross, Acres, Dunstan, Goddard, Wright, White.

Thats 7 players. Of those only 1 (Dunstan) looks like a certainty to be good.
We need at least 4 of the other 6 to come good or we are in trouble (Hello Melbourne).

note: Acres and Dunstan are technically late first rounders - but Ill sneak them in to this discussion anyway.

To me the key factors in whether we will be good or not are our 2nd rd draft picks.

We need at least 4 of the other 6 to come good or we are in trouble (Hello Melbourne).

note: Acres and Dunstan are technically late first rounders - but Ill sneak them in to this discussion anyway.

I'd be tempted to put Lee and Hickey there as well.

I'm amazed that our fitness and conditioning coach, who's background is as a runner, has a program that is contributing to so many hammy issues, seb aside as that was more of an accident. His program really needs a review. My cousin is the main man at Carlton and was a sainter all his life, I wish he was down there. To answer the question, yes, I'll think we'll finish last again but you never know. I keep hoping...go saints!

Really happy with all the boys picked including .. Sinclair .as well

Reality is though they will even better after 1 or 2 more preseasons

Just have to try & get guys like Wright several quality games in a row.
Confident they are going to be very good just need time.

Last edited:
When you break it down, it is difficult to predict. Sure, we can go on preseason form, but is it really aguide given that games are experimental.

The season can go either way. It all depends on injuries and how quickly players develop.

Guys like wright, webster, newnes and a few others should be ready to step up. Then you have the older guys. I don't expect much rom last year's recruits. Saad will provide another hard body and experience.

The aces in the pack will be if Minch, Marks, Acres and a few others can stay on the park.

Our mids are developing, and Mav looks ready to have a great year.

The only real weakness I see is our forward line. If Gilbo stays fit, I think defensively we'll be ok now that Fish is back.

We know what we'll get from the seniors. We need our non-existant middle tier to really step up to that mid-tier level asap. And we need eli, Dunstan and Billings to carry on from last year.

Otherwise, it's going to be a long season again.

The key is the development or lack of, of the kids in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you break it down, it is difficult to predict. Sure, we can go on preseason form, but is it really aguide given that games are experimental.

The season can go either way. It all depends on injuries and how quickly players develop.

Guys like wright, webster, newnes and a few others should be ready to step up. Then you have the older guys. I don't expect much rom last year's recruits. Saad will provide another hard body and experience.

The aces in the pack will be if Minch, Marks, Acres and a few others can stay on the park.

Our mids are developing, and Mav looks ready to have a great year.

The only real weakness I see is our forward line. If Gilbo stays fit, I think defensively we'll be ok now that Fish is back.

We know what we'll get from the seniors. We need our non-existant middle tier to really step up to that mid-tier level asap. And we need eli, Dunstan and Billings to carry on from last year.

Otherwise, it's going to be a long season again.

The key is the development or lack of, of the kids in 2015.
Think you might've missed the news but looks like Markworth will be out for the year.

Yes. Really.

2018 is the next year we may win a few games.
2019 top 8
2020 -2025 flags possible

Stick with us. We'll get there.

We ain't winning more than 6 games, just can't see it happening. Pencil us in for 3 wins I reckon. We will be neck-and-neck with the Dees for the spoon and it may come down to percentage. 2016 will see us marginally improve as a side but see some significant individual improvement. That's my guessing.

We ain't winning more than 6 games, just can't see it happening. Pencil us in for 3 wins I reckon. We will be neck-and-neck with the Dees for the spoon and it may come down to percentage. 2016 will see us marginally improve as a side but see some significant individual improvement. That's my guessing.

I still say the Dogs and Collingwood will struggle too. The Dogs have lost Griffen, Giansiracusa, Libba, Higgins, Cooney and Jones and have a few others go that hadn't come on. That's a massive hole to fill for any team and the bulk of their team are kids. Even highly rated kids are going to struggle once the season goes on.

Pretty ordinary looking Carlton lineup named to play Richmond. While I'm not convinced that they're in the running for the spoon it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. Some nice names in the midfield but that's it.

So, statement for discussion:

"The wooden spoon will be pretty much decided in Round 1, because if we can't beat the Giants at home, we won't be able to beat enough other teams to get off the bottom."

Thoughts? Reflections?

My prediction is GWS will be lucky to get a top 5 pick this year. Blues, Dogs, Dees, Eagles and obviously us look rather ordinary. I see some big floggings this year and we won't be the only team on the receiving end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My prediction is GWS will be lucky to get a top 5 pick this year. Blues, Dogs, Dees, Eagles and obviously us look rather ordinary. I see some big floggings this year and we won't be the only team on the receiving end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Roo plays and we can't win against GWS then I would say we are going to struggle to get another win. Melbourne would be the other one we would have a good chance of beating. And the odd chance we pull a Freo-2014-like performance out of our ass again at some point. But yeah, round 1 is going to be huge for our confidence and morale.

How do people forget that the Bulldogs now have a less experienced side then we do? A very high spooner probability right there.

Look at it this way, who wins the contest.. Tom Boyd or Hugh Goddard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back