Opinion Are we really that far behind the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its worth considering that in the Suns 4th year they had the following experieced players - Ablett, Harbrow, Rischitelli, Broughton, Warnock & Tom Murphy.
While in our 4th year - Ward, Griffen, Mumford, Shaw, Patfull, Scully, Davis, Palmer. As great as Ablett is I know which group of players I would rather.

Up until to now in each corresponding year were been a couple of wins behind the suns and have to say I think '15 is the year we change that and I really think if our top end younger players improve as much as we think they will then I can't see us doing any worse then matching the suns 10 wins from there 4th season.

My goals were:
Year 1) 2 wins
Year 2) 4 wins
Year 3) 6 wins

I didn't factor in 2nd year syndrome...

10 games HAS to be our goal in 2015. And if we win 10 games, Callan Ward will win the Brownlow, back him now at $101 while you can...

My goals were:
Year 1) 2 wins. Year 2) 4 wins.Year 3) 6 wins
10 games HAS to be our goal in 2015. And if we win 10 games, Callan Ward will win the Brownlow, back him now at $101 while you can...
I think most of the 2nd year syndrome was Cameron going off the boil - lost 40 goals.
8-12 wins this year.

My goals were:
Year 1) 2 wins
Year 2) 4 wins
Year 3) 6 wins

Griff and Mummy would be having bad a year for Cal to get enough votes in 2015. With an emerging blue chip mid-field, Cal is not the sort of player who will gather enough votes. Much more likely to win a Norm Smith like a Hodge.

I think most of the 2nd year syndrome was Cameron going off the boil - lost 40 goals.
8-12 wins this year.

Injuries at the back and in the middle with no obvious back-up were problems in 2nd year. Cornes didn't play, Davis had back injuries, Gilham didn't meet expectations and kids still growing. Brogan and Giles had to do ruck work and Brogan wasn't always fit.

Cameron had the forward 50 pretty much for himself; we just didn't get the ball to him as much as we'd liked or stop the others from scoring.

I would like to know what happened to their NEAFL team. Ours finished top in home and away; they were stone motherless last.

In terms of depth, that's a poor sign.

We have the standard list of 38, I think you guys still have 50. That and our long term injury list really hamstrung us this year.

We have the standard list of 38, I think you guys still have 50. That and our long term injury list really hamstrung us this year.

We actually just went with a main list of 46 guys + 1 rookie while you guys had 38 + 6 rookies so in the context of fielding a neafl side the gap wasn't that big but to be fair you guys were hit hard with injuries but still you shouldn't go winless for a season. And surely Fraser is gone as coach

Gold Coast will turn five next season and is unlikely to be flag-ready until 2017; GWS is another 12 months or more behind the rising Suns.

This was Jake Niall's view in yesterday's Age.

But I don't agree we are 12 months behind the Suns. I think they're far more dependent on Gary Ablett than they'd care to admit.

We're not reliant on any single player, let alone someone who is arguably the competitions best player. There was something very compelling about us towards the end of the season, when we had so many big names out and were more than competitive.

With an exciting trade period on the way, I think we can make really big strides next year.

Thoughts?

I don't think we're 12 months behind either, it would not surprise me to see us end up very close to level pegging with the Suns.

Their top mids are brilliant, but ours run deeper, and our key position players are easily on par, if not better (althouth the absence of the General will hurt us).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back