Home & Garden Are you a DIY person?

Are you a handy person?

• Yes

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is that depending upon the age of the car, jumper leads as we used in the 90's and before can have the potential to cause damage to the electrics/computers of the cars.
Only if you connect them up the wrong way. If you have a modern car, then presumably your manual is still in the glove box. Most people can follow instructions.

I can change a tyre (forced to learn after getting a flat during a driving lesson lol), change the coolant/oil/replace filters etc on my car, hang a shelf/picture etc without too many problems. With my dad for advice could probably do more than that, he built a deck/pergola at my parents house (metal framing so he does welding as well) and is a big car guy. No problems with changing tap washers or whatever either.

I'm pretty tight with money so having these skills is necessary IMHO. I wouldn't build furniture or anything for the reasons Caesar mentioned. Dad made me a dining room table that's pretty excellent though.

I can change a tyre (forced to learn after getting a flat during a driving lesson lol), change the coolant/oil/replace filters etc on my car, hang a shelf/picture etc without too many problems. With my dad for advice could probably do more than that, he built a deck/pergola at my parents house (metal framing so he does welding as well) and is a big car guy. No problems with changing tap washers or whatever either.

I'm pretty tight with money so having these skills is necessary IMHO. I wouldn't build furniture or anything for the reasons Caesar mentioned. Dad made me a dining room table that's pretty excellent though.
That's the secret I reckon, know a little DIY yourself, and know someone who is really talented at it.

A lot, ok, maybe a few, people grow up without a dad around, these days it ain't so bad with the internet, but even as much as 10 years ago, people growing up had no access to knowledge that easily to learn. That's the basket I was in anyway. The killer is you put in for apprenticeships and the like, willing to learn, but they would always go to the kids and applicants who had already been taught a fair bit and had a solid knowledge base about what they were applying for.

The old employment catch 22. Must have experience, but no one is wanting to give any out.

Yup I consider myself pretty handy, have graduated to the stage of re seating taps.

Produst moment was fixing the oven first time it went it cost me $250 and took the guy 5 minutes, last time found the bllody part for $30 did it myself thereby saving $220 that could be spent on more manly pursuits such as drinking beer

Is flat packs counted? ;)

If I can assemble a book shelf and some drawers from IKEA (which I have- took me bloody ages, but 8 years later, they are both still standing), the answer to that question is a definite "no".

I am pretty hopeless- can only put petrol in my car, no interest in gardening, or anything else around the house. My coordinator gave me a lovely plant for Easter before the holidays started, but I ended up giving it away to another workmate. I kill stuff, so it was for the greater good. :$

Was probably the least handy person ever until we moved into our new house about 2 months ago. Then when things came up that needed to be done I just did a bit of googling and learnt as I went along, feels way better to do things yourself (as long as you do it right of course).

In saying that my misses grew up on a farm so she's way more handy than me :oops:

Youtube is brilliant for DIY. Even something like replacing a mixer tap is very easy once you understand what's involved, and a 3 minute Youtube clip will show you that. You could watch a 3 minute Youtube clip then DIY in 10 minutes, or you could call a plumber and pay them $100 to turn up plus however much time they charge you to do it...

I renovated by bathroom a while back. I did all the measurements and design in Sketchup (free download), bought all the fixtures, fittings, tiles etc., stripped out the old one, got a plumber mate in to move the taps and install the bath and vanity then re-tiled it with the help of my old boy. Material cost was about $3-4,000 and it looks great. To get a contractor in to do it would've cost $10-15k, so if you're on a budget a few DIY skills can be very handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youtube is brilliant for DIY. Even something like replacing a mixer tap is very easy once you understand what's involved, and a 3 minute Youtube clip will show you that. You could watch a 3 minute Youtube clip then DIY in 10 minutes, or you could call a plumber and pay them $100 to turn up plus however much time they charge you to do it...

I renovated by bathroom a while back. I did all the measurements and design in Sketchup (free download), bought all the fixtures, fittings, tiles etc., stripped out the old one, got a plumber mate in to move the taps and install the bath and vanity then re-tiled it with the help of my old boy. Material cost was about $3-4,000 and it looks great. To get a contractor in to do it would've cost $10-15k, so if you're on a budget a few DIY skills can be very handy.
Laid turf in the backyard recently based entirely on a ten minute YouTube tutorial. It's come up a treat.

Was probably the least handy person ever until we moved into our new house about 2 months ago. Then when things came up that needed to be done I just did a bit of googling and learnt as I went along, feels way better to do things yourself (as long as you do it right of course).

In saying that my misses grew up on a farm so she's way more handy than me :oops:

Who needs to be a handy man when the missus can change the doorknob you broke :p

Typical of a lot of blokes that age. Would rather be looking in the farking mirror doing their hair, shopping at the mall, manscaping, taking selfies, or drinking craft beer.

A lot of young blokes really need to harden the * up.

IMO, it's mainly thanks to sitting on their laptops and gaming. Well that's the case with my mates anyway. Can build me a computer or fix my PS3 if need be but couldn't change my tyre of my life depended on it.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised by the amount of people who can't do the small things. I thought things like changing a tyre, basic mechanics or plumbing was pretty standard.

Water travels downhill, all there is to it. :p*

*i know there's more to it as my fathers a plumber :p

Edit: can't fix bold on my phone

Typical of a lot of blokes that age. Would rather be looking in the farking mirror doing their hair, shopping at the mall, manscaping, taking selfies, or drinking craft beer.

A lot of young blokes really need to harden the * up.

Bit of a generalisation, a lot of current generation tradies and apprentices do all of those things.

I wouldn't be a massive DIY person. I can get by on the basics. Chipped my wall a few weeks ago and after a post on here and a quick google search i was able to get that sorted no drama's. I sure as * can change a tyre. I don't even know if that would be considered DIY. That is basic life skill 101.

Just about anything electronic i can work out. If not I'll most likely be able to work it out with a bit of help from old Googs.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised by the amount of people who can't do the small things. I thought things like changing a tyre, basic mechanics or plumbing was pretty standard.

surprised it has never been made compulsory to learn how to do it before you can drive on your own.

Back