Arise, Sir Prince Phillip!

Remove this Banner Ad

I laughed.
Realised it was serious.
I laughed. Also cried a little.

But, Abbot is not to blame here. Oh no, Rudd and Gillard are the ones to blame for these shenanigans. If not for them, Abbot would be nothing than a Latham style footnote in political history. ..

I would have given it to James Hird.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195T en utilisant Tapatalk

itd be interesting to see who has the most gaffes between tones & phil
Abbott wins this hands down.

When you look more closely at what are called gaffs by Prince Phillip you realise that he has a very dry sense of humour and a lot of what he says are comments most people think but just don't have the guts to say.

I know by convention the Queen pretty much acts as a rubber stamp for these sort of things, but surely her majesty should have asked Prince Phillip not to accept.

Tony is a complete imbecile for putting Prince Phillip's name up. If you're going to start handing out Australian Knighthoods to members of the Royal Family (in of itself a stupid idea given their level of actual involvement with Australia) surely you don't start with Prince Phillip.

I don't really have a problem with Australian Knighthoods I see it a a great way of honouring a person and has more prestige to it than just a couple of letters after their name but this is stupid and if we are to keep them the nominations have to be done by an independent committee and not the PM.
The Queen probably thought that if you're stupid enough to do this then don't complain when you get booted out of the PMs office by your own party.

thought shorten bringing up the Republic was stupidly handing Abbott a distraction, maybe he knew something we didn't.
The best thing Shorten can do with the Republic debate is bury it in a lead box in the middle of Woomera and put a guard on it to make sure it doesn't rise again. It went to a referendum was lost, let it go as it will only give the Libs a distraction and something to use against him. Prince Phillip was a blessing for Shorten as the press just by-passed his gaff for Abbott's car crash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But, Abbot is not to blame here. Oh no, Rudd and Gillard are the ones to blame for these shenanigans. If not for them, Abbot would be nothing than a Latham style footnote in political history. ..

It would be an interesting campaign.

Labor were so inept, they forced you to vote for Tony Abbott as PM. This time, don't let Labor force you into making yet another mistake. Cut out the middle man .... Vote 1 LNP.

After the initial surprise, I have had a bit of time to think about this. Admitting that I am not a fan of Knighthoods and Dames but the choice of Phil is surprising.
If it was to go to a Royal, I think Charles would have been a much better choice and he has closer ties to Australia, he works hard for many more relevant causes. I think that the award would have been easier to explain.
But Phil? Knew some police that followed him around on his many visits and the occasions they had to turn a blind eye to some of his 'home' visits.
Wouldn't have been my first choice.
Hear Andrews on radio talking this morning supporting Abbot's decision. Boring old men.

After the initial surprise, I have had a bit of time to think about this. Admitting that I am not a fan of Knighthoods and Dames but the choice of Phil is surprising.
If it was to go to a Royal, I think Charles would have been a much better choice and he has closer ties to Australia, he works hard for many more relevant causes. I think that the award would have been easier to explain.
But Phil? Knew some police that followed him around on his many visits and the occasions they had to turn a blind eye to some of his 'home' visits.
Wouldn't have been my first choice.
Hear Andrews on radio talking this morning supporting Abbot's decision. Boring old men.
Charles already has one. William would have been the more sensible choice.

Theres a cautionary tale for would be republicans in this story.

Aussies can warm to or tolerate an Idea involving a title or position for a hypothetical person, whether it be a knight or a president.

Its just when you put an actual persons face in that position. If we did approve a republic, well jack up in this fashion once a person is nomitated.
This is amply demonstrated by tonys choices. im not a big tony fan, the best thing I can think of is hes not John Howard. Im a bit meh about the choice of ol phil. Knighthoods are part of the monarchy thing so what did we expect ? Rolfs off the menu.

Even imagining a president eddie or president malcolm will be enough to put us off, even more so when we see their expenses claims

When you look more closely at what are called gaffs by Prince Phillip you realise that he has a very dry sense of humour and a lot of what he says are comments most people think but just don't have the guts to say.

He's a racist dinosaur whose lived his life in a consequence-free bubble because he was never going to be fired from his job of being the monarch's husband.

Theres a cautionary tale for would be republicans in this story.

Aussies can warm to or tolerate an Idea involving a title or position for a hypothetical person, whether it be a knight or a president.

Its just when you put an actual persons face in that position. If we did approve a republic, well jack up in this fashion once a person is nomitated.
This is amply demonstrated by tonys choices. im not a big tony fan, the best thing I can think of is hes not John Howard. Im a bit meh about the choice of ol phil. Knighthoods are part of the monarchy thing so what did we expect ? Rolfs off the menu.

Even imagining a president eddie or president malcolm will be enough to put us off, even more so when we see their expenses claims

I don't think that's the issue at all.

The issue is that Tony is still a genuine citizen of the British Commonwealth and a good and loyal subject of the Queen, ahead of being an Australian. He still identifies himself in that way. It's this belief and this attitude that has attracted widespread derision and disbelief, it is not the personalities involved. There is no cautionary tale for republicans here, it is a boost to republicanism that this attitude to being a British subject ahead of being an Australian citizen is exposed to ridicule and seen as being decades out of date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back