The Law Arizona execution takes nearly two hours to kill prisoner

Remove this Banner Ad

and what of the wrongfully convicted?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/many-prisoners-on-death-row-are-wrongfully-convicted/
since 1973 in the US, 340 people have been wrongfully executed.
study also says 4.1% of inmates on death row are innocent.
10,000 wrongful convictions in the US every year including non capital crimes.

That is a problem with any punishment system and usually people then talk themselves into the reasoning that we should have no penalties so as to totally prevent innocent get convicted - just because something is not perfect is never be an excuse for not doing so - that reasoning is however a total excuse for continually seeking to improve our justice systems and also increase penalties for those that are found to manipulate the system or not follow correct procedures and process through investigation (which is quite often a cause).

Has anyone even considered the effect of harsher penalties on those thinking or in a position to commit a serious crime - very serious penalties do result in a drop in serious crime, there is very much proof of this in other societies. So weigh up the actual smaller number of wrongful convictions (it will decrease as the total number decreases) as well as the fact there are less victims suffering from serious crime under a regime of far more serious punishments. There would be less innocent victims (victims and wrongfully convicted) than under our present system.

Far more severe punishments = substantially less innocents convicted and substantially less victims of serious crime. Use some logic and understanding/knowledge of other societies and you will come to this conclusion. And if you haven't worked it out yet, that also means less family of those convicted also suffering as a result of their crimes, as there are less serious crimes. If you want far less serious crime the only answer is to increase penalties, but some people want a right to commit very serious crime and still (after a forever decreasing period of time of penalty) enjoy a normal life.

It is not just the direct victim of serious crime that has their life forever affected. I have very personal experience of the damage to victims and their family from the effects of serious crime and it is such a travesty that less and less regard is placed on the victim and family as each generation passes. Also consider where we are heading with the continued decreases in sentencing we are finding for serious crime.

Some aspects of Islam and Sharia law I do agree with

Last edited:
Should have taken longer than two hours so as to properly satisfy the public's bloodlust.
Peeled and rolled in salt ever 12 days.

That is a problem with any punishment system and usually people then talk themselves into the reasoning that we should have no penalties so as to totally prevent innocent get convicted -

i'm not saying it's not worth a discussion.
but my feelings are that even one person wrongfully killed by the government is too many.
innocent lives are not expendable just because they suit your cause.

very serious penalties do result in a drop in serious crime, there is very much proof of this in other societies.

in what societies? what are the punishments and what are the crime rates?

Far more severe punishments = substantially less innocents convicted

how do you know?
the justice system isn't perfect. having harsher punishments doesn't mean that there won't be just as many botched investigations.

i can see your logic.
harsher penalties means people might think twice before committing serious crimes. I'm not sure if this is the case though. would like some criminal psychologists to chime in.

Not a fan of capital punishment, but yeah; what is it with the US and convoluted methods? Just shoot em in the heart or hang.
The objective is to separate the executioner from the execution.

If it is done by a complicated machine which has a few steps between pressing the button and the administration of the dose the executioner is less affected. The poor dear.

I believe that most soldiers on a firing squad would shoot to miss - would have to check if this is myth or reality.

strong anti-WA vibes on the srp board lately
Context is everything. Simply a discussion on the domination of the right wingers and even then specifically on the SRP board.
Not anti-WA at all.

I love WA.

The objective is to separate the executioner from the execution.

If it is done by a complicated machine which has a few steps between pressing the button and the administration of the dose the executioner is less affected. The poor dear.

I believe that most soldiers on a firing squad would shoot to miss - would have to check if this is myth or reality.
I might be wrong here but I thought in a firing squad, only one shooter has a live bullet, the rest fire blanks, ensuring that nobody knows who fired the fatal shot.

I might be wrong here but I thought in a firing squad, only one shooter has a live bullet, the rest fire blanks, ensuring that nobody knows who fired the fatal shot.
Sounds like a good way to deal with people's reluctance to kill.

If the victim doesn't die, the executioner would be in trouble for missing. As they don't know if they've got the bullet the incentive is to aim at the target then comfort themselves in the knowledge that they probably didn't kill the victim.

harsher penalties means people might think twice before committing serious crimes. I'm not sure if this is the case though. would like some criminal psychologists to chime in.
I believe the research has shown that penalty is not very significant in the mind of someone deciding to commit a crime. Far more important is their perception of how likely they are to be caught.

Plus if you're talking murders and such, you have to factor in how many are done without any forethought at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can vary from all but one having live rounds, to any other configuration. If there were twelve in a firing squad, for instance, it seems unlikely they would want to depend on the accuracy or intent of only one shooter. The last thing they would want would be the embarrassment of being seen as incompetent at murdering people. Just think of how that could affect your reputation, not to mention your self esteem. Unless of course, you are in a US gaol, where nobody gives a toss how it turns out or looks.

It is interesting that the execution in question just happened to last as long as your average feature film. No point in taxing the bladders of the paying customers. My only wish is that I owned the popcorn and choctops franchises.

I believe the research has shown that penalty is not very significant in the mind of someone deciding to commit a crime. Far more important is their perception of how likely they are to be caught.

Plus if you're talking murders and such, you have to factor in how many are done without any forethought at all.
And in the case of three strikes rules, it makes criminals more desperate to avoid capture for their third crime. More police are harmed, more dangerous chases and so on.

Should have taken longer than two hours so as to properly satisfy the public's bloodlust.
Death by a thousand cuts maybe.

As for the Guillotine, it is actually not an instant death, there are documented cases of eye movement, gasping even words being said.

If you want the most humane and fastest method, then get a good high caliber hand gun, stand so the barrell is a few centimetres (even inches) from the convicted person, fire into the temple at the desired point. Death will be instant, you just have a bit of mess to clean up.

Death by a thousand cuts maybe.

As for the Guillotine, it is actually not an instant death, there are documented cases of eye movement, gasping even words being said.

If you want the most humane and fastest method, then get a good high caliber hand gun, stand so the barrell is a few centimetres (even inches) from the convicted person, fire into the temple at the desired point. Death will be instant, you just have a bit of mess to clean up.
Chinese method. Leaves most of the organs in good nick for harvesting too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back