Game Day Around the Grounds Rnds 21 - 23

Remove this Banner Ad

They're Collingwood muppets so it's easy to return fire

Just find it bizarre "supporters" barracking for a last placed finish. I find it shitful in fact.

Mate we aren't endorsing tanking or wanting the team to do poorly, we are simply mature enough to realise that we are better off dead last than marginally above...

The AFL against us tin foil hat suggests that Brisbane Lions to be handed a pre-first round national draft priority pick. Carlton will draft 2 and 3. Brisbane will draft 1, 4 (their first pick) and 5 (Leuenberger band one pick).

I don't give a damn about finishing last. We've had a horrible year regardless of where we finish. If someone gives me an option of winning 4 games and having pick 3 or winning 4 games and having picks 1 and 2, I know which I'd rather...

Ed: Again HARKER echoes my sentiments.
Anyone that is happy to accept losing will always be a loser. It should make you sick in the guts to be at the bottom of the ladder, I know it does for me.

I dunno - looked like we put the queue in the rack against the Lions but turned it on against Melbourne probably thinking the last two would be L-L for both clubs. Oops!

Its about getting the two best KPP's in the draft (with Kreuzer leaving as a FA) that's made me excited, our list is paper thin on KPP stock. It's not about celebrating a losing culture.
It has everything to do with embracing a losing culture.

No amount of high draft picks is going to help when the stench remains. Finishing last is in the record books, forever. It's worse when this is reinforced by supporters, and select people in the club. What kind of message does that bring to the players? That is not we something we should ever be striving as a club. The fact of the matter is, we can still get decent kids in the draft without having to win a spoon or sell our souls for it.

So you celebrate losing. Good for you. Welcome to 10 years ago and how well that worked out.

Hoping we aim for pick 1 next year too?

Of course not, I'm hoping we show some signs. If however, at the last round, we are going to finish 17th or 18th, yeah I'd rather finish 18th!

You need to chill out and look at things sensibly.

Just back from Byron Bay Magpies vs Tweed Heads Tigers Grand Final ... Final siren sounds, score reads Byron - 10.7.67, Tweed - 10.6.66 ... Byron premiers!! ......

3-4 mins later, goal umpires walk over to the scoreboard and alter it ....

Final score: Byron - 10.7.67, Tweed 10.8.68 .... :eek:

Anyone that is happy to accept losing will always be a loser. It should make you sick in the guts to be at the bottom of the ladder, I know it does for me.

Again talk about missing the point... I'm as upset as anyone at how this season has panned out. I just realise the difference between us finishing last and second last means nothing in the real world, they are both terrible outcomes. One of the outcomes simply gives us a better chance of improving moving forward.

Good grief. This is one reason why the club is where it's at.
I can just imagine these same people next year if we're in a similar position. "Lose lose lose! We need that one or two places higher in the draft". Then the team matures enough to do well enough to play finals, but lack that certain killer instinct and hard work ethic to go further and as a result, we're back to square one in a few years for more picks picks picks. Hmm I actually remember this happening before...

I honestly can't believe people thinking rationally about a series of events over which we had ZERO control is perceived as embracing a losing culture.

FMD...I think some people reckon the club makes all of its decisions and strategies based on the views of this board...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly can't believe people thinking rationally about a series of events over which we had ZERO control is perceived as embracing a losing culture.

FMD...I think some people reckon the club makes all of its decisions and strategies based on the views of this board...
I don't know what you're reading, but people who publicly state they want to lose games for a spot or two higher in the draft are most certainly embracing a losing culture.

I don't know what you're reading, but people who publicly state they want to lose games for a spot or two higher in the draft are most certainly embracing a losing culture.

******* lucky they're not on the board of directors then, isn't it...

It has everything to do with embracing a losing culture.

No amount of high draft picks is going to help when the stench remains. Finishing last is in the record books, forever. It's worse when this is reinforced by supporters, and select people in the club. What kind of message does that bring to the players? That is not we something we should ever be striving as a club. The fact of the matter is, we can still get decent kids in the draft without having to win a spoon or sell our souls for it.

To be fair to us (unlike in previous years) we actually didn't set out to 'tank/lose on purpose' for draft picks, we were smashed by injury, and our list is genuinely the worst in the competition after Juddy went down.

Someone has to finish last every year, and via attrition through lack of decent drafting in recent years, this is where we find ourselves.

We also were hurt by the expansion club drafts and been stiff on Free Agency compo for Betts and Waite.

We've been unlucky, more than incompetent (this time around)

They're Collingwood muppets so it's easy to return fire

Just find it bizarre "supporters" barracking for a last placed finish. I find it shitful in fact.

I missed the barracking which is lousy even if a little part of you wants another team to win. Maybe some just wanted The Dogs to lose.

If we tried our best and failed, there's little 'shame' in coming last........someone has to........but it's what you have to look forward to next year that counts.

West Coast finished last in 2010.......and were even denied the first picks thanks to GC.

I missed the barracking which is lousy even if a little part of you wants another team to win. Maybe some just wanted The Dogs to lose.

If we tried our best and failed, there's little 'shame' in coming last........someone has to........but it's what you have to look forward to next year that counts.

West Coast finished last in 2010.......and were even denied the first picks thanks to GC.

There's a difference between accepting the Spoon, and actively cheering for it. Anyone who falls into the latter should be ashamed, especially so if you were around 10 years ago.

There's a difference between accepting the Spoon, and actively cheering for it. Anyone who falls into the latter should be ashamed, especially so if you were around 10 years ago.

And then there are those of us who aren't children and realise 'the spoon' is ultimately no worse than us finishing second last. AFL one of the few sports where the fans are infatuated with romanticism and can't look at things bluntly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back