Roast Arrogant Yanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Each to their own Dave, I love F1, sure it has it's stupid moments and rules, but in general it's a bit like a chess game on wheels.

I agree mate. If you like then you go right ahead and enjoy it

Anyone that goes out of their way to hate a sport isn't quite there in the head IMHO.

Don't like it, fine, but hate it, is just ridiculous. Sports are past times, and meant to be there for leisure and enjoyment.

Anyone that goes out of their way to hate a sport isn't quite there in the head IMHO.

Don't like it, fine, but hate it, is just ridiculous. Sports are past times, and meant to be there for leisure and enjoyment.

I don't hate soccer, just the morons that try and cram it down my throat! It's getting to the stage that I want to throw flares into a soccer stadium!

Each to their own Dave, I love F1, sure it has it's stupid moments and rules, but in general it's a bit like a chess game on wheels.
Agree, it's as boring as watching a game of chess.:p

F1 is Boring. It's just cars going around and around

Then there's the unbelievable mechanics and science that comes together each weekend due to incredible engineers and minds....
The incredibly tight qualifying sessions where a bees dick of a second can mean the difference between poll and missing Q3.....
The rock star drivers and their conflicting personalities.....
The brilliant BBC commentary team who are a pleasure to listen to each weekend......
And finally the fact, we have had 2 brilliant Australian drivers to barrack for at the amazing locales the races take place.

But yeah.... just cars going round and round.

I LOVE BASEBALL!!!!
Got up at 3:30am the other day to watch my Angels play Texas in a spring training game.

Tradedraft they arent arrogant because they dont want to play here. Its not a baseball stadium, the surface doesnt play like a baseball stadium.
I can understand why they dont want to play here

I have started to love baseball and I am a Dodgers fan. I don't blame the players for not being excited to play here. I would be shattered if I had to go to Sydney and not to Melbourne as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have started to love baseball and I am a Dodgers fan. I don't blame the players for not being excited to play here. I would be shattered if I had to go to Sydney and not to Melbourne as well.
Dodgers fan? I can see we wont get along :D

F1 has its good points but it seriously has no relation to the average punter driving his XR6 around the Dandenongs or Blue Mountains - for a start engines are designed to such a high tolerance that a full qualifying session and the race is just about their limit, needing to be pulled down and rebuilt for the next. These machines are so far removed from everyday experience as to be almost alien lol.

I class America's cup yatch racing in the same league with the Americans getting help from NASA at one stage lol.

With cricket, you are either a fan or not - I am, having been brought up in a cricketing household.

Soccer - I have nothing against the game - but that ratbag element is worse than at just about any other professional sport. Would never go to a game.

F1 has its good points but it seriously has no relation to the average punter driving his XR6 around the Dandenongs or Blue Mountains - for a start engines are designed to such a high tolerance that a full qualifying session and the race is just about their limit, needing to be pulled down and rebuilt for the next. These machines are so far removed from everyday experience as to be almost alien lol.

I class America's cup yatch racing in the same league with the Americans getting help from NASA at one stage lol.

With cricket, you are either a fan or not - I am, having been brought up in a cricketing household.

Soccer - I have nothing against the game - but that ratbag element is worse than at just about any other professional sport. Would never go to a game.

Engines and gearboxes now have to last 6 consecutive races, and they are sealed.

Thx Smokey that at least is a step in the right direction, it had got totally out of control for a while there. :rolleyes:
What, I power package for qualification, and another for the race didn't float your boat?

For the last few years they've only been allowed 5 packages for the year, and limits on when the aero updates can be applied.

I'd rather go back to the old days and let them go crazy, thats when active suspension and the like was being tested:)

Smokey

P.S. When BMW used to make their own engines, legend has it that they used to harden the rough cast bu leaving it outside, and the engine plant workers used to urinate on them to harden them up:)

Last edited:
What, I power package for qualification, and another for the race didn't float your boat?
Not really Smoke - I understand the itch to get the ultimate horsepower from any given combination (had a custom car myself) but it just doesn't do it for me the way saloon car and motorcycle racing does.

As mentioned, you're F1 knowledge is a bit light on :(

For the last few years they've only been allowed 5 packages for the year, and limits on when the aero updates can be applied.

I'd rather go back to the old days and let them go crazy, thats when active suspension and the like was being tested:)

Smokey

P.S. When BMW used to make their own engines, legend has it that they used to harden the rough cast bu leaving it outside, and the engine plant workers used to urinate on them to harden them up:)

Whatever it takes to get that last 100th of a second :p

Agreed, lack of interest generates lack of knowledge.

Still it doesn't take an engineering degree to discover that F1 has absolutely no relevance to the common motoring experience, which was my main point.
Well, it doesn't for about 20 years, then you get your ABS, Stability control etc.

Well, it doesn't for about 20 years, then you get your ABS, Stability control etc.
Agreed that F1 gear does EVENTUALLY filter down to mere mortals lol. Rack and pinion, disc brakes etc., etc. I would be the last to deny that F1 causes a trickling upgrade of the expected basics in mortal motoring - I would strongly deny however that that is its purpose - rather it's a by product of teams and individuals contending in a sport where a few years back they had to start thinking of ways to drag the engineers back from the brink of creating a true billionaires club with the cost of unconstrained development outstripping smaller organizations competition budgets and it looked as if it may become a Ferrari V McLaren benefit.

Much the same can be said for the Motorcycle F1 which I love, although at least there is some basic relevance to normal street machines. I started following Motorcycle F1 with my elder brother and knew all about Mike Hailwood and his screaming Silver F1 Honda rockets, when I was old enough it was Agostini aboard his yellow and black Yamaha's and so I took to riding them. Did some limited track testing for a local privateer dealer and that was enough to just about whiten any mortals hair lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back