Arsenal FC: Out of control

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Arsenal took an important step forward this year. Arsene finally realised that spending money can be a good thing for a football club.

But it can't just be a one off thing. Arsenal need strengthening all over - better depth, better starters.

I think a cup and 4th place will make it a pretty decent season and I reckon they'll get both. But they've got to continue to improve, continue to spend.

As for the death of the club title, I didnt have a problem with it. For a while Arsenal was more an accounting entity than a sporting entity. For a club like Arsenal they should be looking to push for the title each year just as Man United, and now Chelsea and City do.

No they aren't. In every big game Wenger has been outsmarted due to him not even looking at the other teams strengths.

Even at full strength Arsenal had bad losses.

They aren't what? I don't think you read my post properly.

I'm not saying they'd definitely win the league with less injury severity/duration and a world class striker, but they would've had a much better season and would probably be second.

Total days out (bolded are cruicial players, I'll make the unbolded backup players):

Ramsey - 104 days
Walcott - 155 days
Podolski - 115 days

Vermaelen - 142 days
Sanogo - 172 days
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 145 days

Then there's the lesser, but still a long time

Wilshere - 31 days
Cazorla - 32 days
Sagna - 34 days
Arteta - 66 days

I can't be bothered looking up the others, but those are some very good players out for a long time.

I still think Arsenal would of dropped away to fourth. Ramsey was starting to look tired before injury. So was Ozil. Podolski who is very overrated would be an impact sub if everyone was fit.

Sanogo was not injured he was sent to France to build up his strength because he was too weak to play in the EPL.

You are going to get injuries at some point as well. The problem is that Walcott, Ramsey and Ozil have no replacements in the squad. Kos, Per, Sagna and Gibbs have no quality back ups as well.

Walcott was obviously a big loss because he brings pace, which Arsenal otherwise lacks. Ramsey going down when he was in such top form was pretty unlucky but a club like Arsenal would hope to have the depth to at least go some way to being able to cover for injuries.

Ozil is obviously a very good player, but his signing smacked more of an "appease the fans with a big name" type of move than one that was desperately needed given Arsenal's surfeit of attacking midfielders. Surely, Arsenal's bigger priorities at the time were (and still are) a defensive midfielder and, perhaps most strikingly, a quality striker.

They also seem to lack resilience and leadership - when things go bad, they go really bad.

The acquisition of Ozil just temporarily masked yet another failure of a transfer window for Arsenal.

2 free players, including an injured 20 year old from France's second division, was unacceptable by Wenger when we've had glaring deficiencies in DM and the striker's position. Wenger has ignored these issues for a considerable amount of time and its no wonder we get trounced in the big games that matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mou was never going to send him yo you guys, it was West Ham or nothing and Demba wanted Arsenal. So he stayed

Regardless, he had ample time to bring in players and only managed one world class player in Ozil and a French 2nd division player who is very raw in Sanogo.

should have sealed the deal straight away. higuain was yours but wenger started a fantasy chase for suarez.

If it wasn't a world cup year I'm not so certain Liverpool would of been as resolved as they were to ignore the buy-out clause on Suarez. (Provided it existed)

Regardless, he had ample time to bring in players and only managed one world class player in Ozil and a French 2nd division player who is very raw in Sanogo.

If it wasn't a world cup year I'm not so certain Liverpool would of been as resolved as they were to ignore the buy-out clause on Suarez. (Provided it existed)

there was a clause but it was just a clause to negotiate. it didn't specify that suarez could end the contract if a transfer fee of 40,000,000 pounds or more was paid which was clarified by the pfa. wenger should have signed higuain on the spot and bought ozil at the same time, could have negotiated a deal with real.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back