Roast Article - Pies don't deserve to play Anzac Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne City & Tottenham
Earlier today I came across one of the worst and most ill-thought-out articles I've ever read, offering an argument as to why Collingwood should not play on Anzac Day.

The tone is bitter, the article really doesn't care much for the ANZAC cause but more for the fact that the writer's team, Melbourne, don't get to play despite tradition supposedly suggesting they should be there.

Collingwood was from the other side of the tracks. With the other so-called working class clubs – Richmond, Fitzroy and Carlton – it played on during the war years despite calls from politicians and the press for the competition to disband.

Furthermore, Collingwood seemed reluctant to answer the call. In total only 16 Collingwood players served, the lowest tally by far of the four clubs.

Compared to Melbourne, the Pies did not pull their wartime weight. The Demons stood out of the competition for three years and, aside from the defunct University, had greatest number of war dead, 16 in all.

Full article: http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2014/04/22/magpies-deserve-play-anzac-day/

Anzac day is a day of remembrance for the diggers. Fighting over this sort of stuff is trivial. If Melbourne or any club wants a clash on Anzac day, how about they get some competent administrators in and push forward an argument to the AFL. Each year its the same boring rhetoric. St Kilda, Sydney, Freo and North are now playing on Anzac day so instead it's no longer exclusive. This bloke would be better off refocusing his energies of research and complaining to the Directors of Melbourne FC instead of whinging all the way through an article which shows the utmost disrespect to the actual day itself.

Writing a response to the article is 'Kill for Collingwood' author Richard Stremski and it's fair to say he rips the previous article to pieces.

Collingwood officials were adamant that, as a working class suburb and club, they would play on, given that no other sport was abandoned.

There was certainly criticism. Much of it came from people like Lawrence Adamson, the headmaster at Wesley College, who said that the fittest should go off to fight for the weak, not play football. Yet these players contributed to the war efforts in other ways.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2014/04/23/pies-right-to-anzac-day/

Actually none of the current Collingwood team has fought in any international conflicts, it's just a disgrace really. All Collingwood and Essendon senior listed players must be forced to do a minimum 3 years service before they can debut.

But seriously, what publication even is "the new daily"?

Melbourne would disgrace the memory of the ANZACS with their soft gutless loser performances. How can someone seriously suggest that this pathetic excuse for a football team/club should be chosen to do ANZAC day justice?

If we ever have a theme game to commemorate the French and their soldiers contributions to allied war efforts then yeah... Melbourne should get the gig for sure...

Melbourne would disgrace the memory of the ANZACS with their soft gutless loser performances. How can someone seriously suggest that this pathetic excuse for a football team/club should be chosen to do ANZAC day justice?

If we ever have a theme game to commemorate the French and their soldiers contributions to allied war efforts then yeah... Melbourne should get the gig for sure...

There must be a suitable war available....you've only got a few years before you're too old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There must be a suitable war available....you've only got a few years before you're too old
Mayor Quimby could do the pre game speech... "We, the Melbourne Football Club, are gathered here today to honor and commemorate our European ally who fought so poorly and surrendered so readily"

Anzac Day games would be a privilege to watch every year, we could all see Melbourne lose by 15 goals every time. :drunk:
You might be onto something here actually.. but taking it to the next logical step..I think Melbourne would be the perfect club to represent the Germans and should be made to wear little tin helmets and that way when they inevitably lose by 15 goals everyone is really happy with the outcome and the reflective accuracy of the game as a commemoration....

Mayor Quimby could do the pre game speech... "We, the Melbourne Football Club, are gathered here today to honor and commemorate our European ally who fought so poorly and surrendered so readily"

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25776836

6. Gallipoli was fought by Australians and New Zealanders
_72344916_anzac-day.jpg
Australians and New Zealanders mark Anzac Day in Gallipoli, 2011
Far more British soldiers fought on the Gallipoli peninsula than Australians and New Zealanders put together.

The UK lost four or five times as many men in the brutal campaign as its imperial Anzac contingents. The French also lost more men than the Australians.

The Aussies and Kiwis commemorate Gallipoli ardently, and understandably so, as their casualties do represent terrible losses both as a proportion of their forces committed and of their small populations.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25776836

6. Gallipoli was fought by Australians and New Zealanders
_72344916_anzac-day.jpg
Australians and New Zealanders mark Anzac Day in Gallipoli, 2011
Far more British soldiers fought on the Gallipoli peninsula than Australians and New Zealanders put together.

The UK lost four or five times as many men in the brutal campaign as its imperial Anzac contingents. The French also lost more men than the Australians.

The Aussies and Kiwis commemorate Gallipoli ardently, and understandably so, as their casualties do represent terrible losses both as a proportion of their forces committed and of their small populations.
Thanks for the rivetingly pointless reply...

Ugh...... FFS.

It's staying exactly the way it is, no matter what some random flog has to say about it every year.

Suck it up ya whining peasants - the Anzac Day Clash is here to stay; Bombers and Pies.

sorry about that... i thought it made a fairly simple point... i'll know better next time
I lack your intelligence.. so please just spell it out for me... BBC articles are way beyond my level of intellectual understanding... so if you could dumb it down for me and tell me the point you were making that'd be great...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back