Remove this Banner Ad

Red_Emperor

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2015
Bow River
AFL Club
Essendon
Great article today

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/why-asadas-case-against-essendon-players-fell-apart-20150424-1mrc4l.html

It depends on perspective; minds can differ. On penning Hotel California in 1977, Don Henley and his brethren Eagles spawned the most over-analysed, least understood song of that decade. Where one envisions hedonism, another deciphers an allegory about Satanism; a third imagines a Californian asylum. Others can't ever seem to get past that referring to wine as a "spirit" isn't an error.

mod edit: please dont quote full articles.

Last edited by a moderator:

No doubt all the collingwood supporters will have read that before they head to the G today, and will hug the bombers supporters as brothers in a show of solidarity. Have a great day people!

McDevitt made one further observation last Monday: that for transparency, he'd welcome the fullest possible release of the AFL tribunal's findings. Which is reasonable: absent open justice, understanding core issues is ridiculously difficult. As matters stand, the judgment is locked away.

For my sins, I've spent an inordinate amount of time reviewing the lengthy reasons on which the decision to exculpate all 34 athletes is based. ASADA didn't lose a line-ball decision, or on a technicality. Rather, the inescapable conclusion is that ASADA received a proper hosing. Put simply, absent a fundamental reinvigoration of the evidence, and of certain witnesses in terms of their motivation to testify, it's inconceivable that WADA will fare better.

Regarding the second element, there was no evidence before the tribunal of Essendon's receipt of, or payment for the "TB4". Alavi himself was of exiguous assistance: he produced no compounding or dispensing records. Alavi's entire contribution was just two tax invoices, and quite possibly even they were pretend – Alavi received no payment. The tribunal concluded that the sheer inconsistency and uncertainty of the narrative – and lack of proper evidence – rendered it impossible to conclude Alavi actually compounded TB4. Further, ASADA couldn't convince the tribunal Dank received anything from Alavi in Dank's capacity as an Essendon person.

ASADA's case fell so horrendously short of the mark. Unless a visit from the magical evidence genie is impending, it is impossible to understand how WADA will do any better. To borrow the words of Tony Soprano, what's the use of an unloaded gun?

Im comfortably satisfied with this assessment
Shh! Hung over here

If this bloke is on the money then it looks good for the players regarding an appeal by WADA.
What I can't understand is why Essendon and Hird went to such lengths to squash the whole thing if the evidence was so flimsy.
I'd love to see the case go to the CAS, if only for the sake of transparency. Simply for the fact I don't trust the AFL to do the right thing.
Of course this would not be necessary if the players agree to the release of the full judgement. I'm not holding my breath on that though - it seems like every party in this whole debacle has skeletons they'd like to keep tucked away in the closet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this bloke is on the money then it looks good for the players regarding an appeal by WADA.
What I can't understand is why Essendon and Hird went to such lengths to squash the whole thing if the evidence was so flimsy.
I'd love to see the case go to the CAS, if only for the sake of transparency. Simply for the fact I don't trust the AFL to do the right thing.
Of course this would not be necessary if the players agree to the release of the full judgement. I'm not holding my breath on that though - it seems like every party in this whole debacle has skeletons they'd like to keep tucked away in the closet.
Like I've said all along. Because it was prudent

I agree from a legal standpoint point the tribunal decision was probably the correct result. But from the evidence out there is their does anyone out there have a true belief something else legitimate happened with an explanation. Not what may have happened what truely believe did happen?

probably is, got nothing to do with this case though. They were never adequately kept in the first place

You believe whatever you want, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Maybe type it in really large bold text, wont make a skerrick of difference

Remove this Banner Ad

Back