No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
This point is correct.

Though, it didn't stop Hird from having influence over the operation.
To be expected.

As per most organisations:
All project team members may have some influence on a project because projects are collaborative work. Some members may have more influence than others. It doesn't make Employee A responsible if Employee X does not perform their role as requested, even if the project idea was conceived by Employee A. It also doesn't make Employee A responsible for managing Employee X, that is determined by organisational structure.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
I don't think we could have done everything upfront, such as presenting documents, correspondence etc. That's where leaking has its uses.

Yes and good leaking would see us throw a bone to all media outlets. Let Chip have some, Holmes have some, pick someone from Fairfax (Conolly and Quayle are too obvious considering they're Essendon supporters who aren't normally involved in muck raking), someone from SBS and feed Hardie snippets to write something in the Conversation.

It means that no organisation "picks a side" against us. Caro's rubbish would look worse for her if Perik or Nail where writing stuff on the same page that looked a lot better for us. When it's paper vs paper both sides go a little further to prove their point and as a result Caro has been writing things where facts are drowned in mayo so that she can stick it to News Ltd as much as her hatred of Hird and the club post Beverly Knights. If it was a fight with someone in her office their boss would be expecting a more conciliatory tone.

still off-topic. my two year old son absolutely loves your avatar. Last night he was on my lap as I was posting (I know, I know, father of the year amirite) and going "cat! cat!" at your avatar. 'twas very cute.
Did he make any comment when he saw your av?

scottmclaren

All Australian
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I have admiration for Hird because I believe he is one of the few that want to reveal the truth of everything that has gone on.

Others want to persecute people and the club based on nothing but hearsay. They subvert, divert and reduce the truth to a pharmacological experipent.

I believe Essendon people are owed the truth and should be demanding it. I understand if you want to sweep it under the carpet and start fresh and pretend this never happened, but I won't be doing this.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
The NRL has learnt from the AFL f**k up. Its gone to ground and when quizzed by any journo it just says "the investigation is ongoing"

Plus all the NRL journo foamers are having a field day picking apart the AFL over this, no need to mention cronulla

Yeah from what ive heard where the Vic media is very keen to pull teams to pieces and analyse scandals (coaches who should be sacked,players who should retire, DRUGZ etc) the NSW media focus on all negative things about AFL and mostly good things about NRL.

I have to disagree there, the NRL media is basically a bunch of gossip mags hanging on the next fued between players, the next coach to be sacked, the next player to wee on his face, or assault someone etc.

I think NSW winning the origin has had an impact on the Cronulla investigation - I suspect there is pressure from the NRL, and through the Fed Govt, to not suspend the NSW Captain straight after a historic series victory. We may well see something more happen 2 weeks from finals - long enough to have the public get past origin but early enough it doesn't impact too much on finals (Cronulla will get the spoon).

What I agree with though is that the whole thing has been treated as a largely confidential investigation, which it is supposed to be!

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
The by-line on FSN this morning just said that the players agreed with the decision about Hird as they don't want distractions coming up to finals. Not sure whether that is verbatim or misrepresentation as I also refuse to give AFL media the clicks.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
tl;dr for people who don't read articles from the AFL website (don't want to give them the clicks, and don't trust any article published by the AFL anyway) ?

Echoed Bomber's thoughts basically saying we can't wait to have him back but rather do without the distraction (caused by media circus) leading into September.

For me, if that is what the majority of the players want, then any other opinions on the matter are completely irrelevant.

cymarak

Go Gators !
Aug 7, 2009
Over it. All of it.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
49ers, Gators
The by-line on FSN this morning just said that the players agreed with the decision about Hird as they don't want distractions coming up to finals.
The players may simply think that Hird himself won't be a distraction (at least not a negative one), but the resulting media circus might be.

bomberman500

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ravens, Thunder, Orioles, Man Utd
I have to disagree there, the NRL media is basically a bunch of gossip mags hanging on the next fued between players, the next coach to be sacked, the next player to wee on his face, or assault someone etc.

I think NSW winning the origin has had an impact on the Cronulla investigation - I suspect there is pressure from the NRL, and through the Fed Govt, to not suspend the NSW Captain straight after a historic series victory. We may well see something more happen 2 weeks from finals - long enough to have the public get past origin but early enough it doesn't impact too much on finals (Cronulla will get the spoon).

What I agree with though is that the whole thing has been treated as a largely confidential investigation, which it is supposed to be!
I didn't mean to imply the NSW media were ignoring the issue, I'm simply saying they're not going for the throat Caro style.
While they obviously don't ignore big things that happen in league they will take a stab at the AFL when they can. Phil "Buzz" Rothfield and Rebecca Wilson have penned their fair share of anti AFL/Essendon articles.

Caro's best attempt at having a go at league is yet another one of her anti-hird/essendon articles where she mentions Cronulla in a passing comment

The Essendon website version

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-07-30/myers-players-look-forward-to-hirds-return

Myers: Players look forward to Hird's return
Ben Guthrie July 30, 2014 8:52 AM
20140730_myers_p.png

RELATED
Essendon midfielder David Myers says the players fully support the club's decision to delay James Hird's return to the coaches box until next season.

Hird will now focus purely on the 2015 season when his suspension expires on August 25 as he works on preparations for the upcoming pre-season, list management and recruiting.

Myers said he and his teammates were eagerly anticipating the prospect of playing under Hird next year, but he believes the board's stance is the right one.

"The main thing with that is that we didn't want any distractions heading into the finals," Myers said.

"As players we're looking forward to having Hirdy coming back and we want him back.

"But I think the board decided it would be in the best interests of us that there would be no distractions leading into September."

Essendon is positioned seventh on the ladder and Myers said it was imperative the Bombers maintained their intensity, given what is at stake, in this Friday night's crucial clash against the Sydney Swans at the SCG.

North Melbourne, Essendon, Adelaide, Collingwood and Gold Coast are now duking it out for the remaining three spots in the top eight.

"It's pretty tight down the bottom end of the eight, so we've got to keep winning games because you could easily drop out if you have a bad couple of weeks," Myers said.

The 25-year-old believes 2014 has been his most consistent season to date, with his role taking on even greater significance in the absence of Jobe Watson through a hip injury.

At the end of last year, Myers signed a two-year contract extension to remain at Essendon until the end of 2016.

Before he committed to the Bombers it is understood Melbourne and St Kilda made a play for him, via a potential trade, at the end of last year.

Although Myers is not set to become a free agent until his existing contract expires in 2016, he had some interesting comments on the concept of free agency.

"I think it's a good thing for players," Myers said.

"You can be out of the game quite quickly if things go badly, so to have the flexibility to be able to move and have a bit more control over your destiny is not a bad thing for a player.

"But you don't want it to get to where the NRL is, where you have guys saying they're leaving mid-season. I think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and good leaking would see us throw a bone to all media outlets. Let Chip have some, Holmes have some, pick someone from Fairfax (Conolly and Quayle are too obvious considering they're Essendon supporters who aren't normally involved in muck raking), someone from SBS and feed Hardie snippets to write something in the Conversation.

It means that no organisation "picks a side" against us. Caro's rubbish would look worse for her if Perik or Nail where writing stuff on the same page that looked a lot better for us. When it's paper vs paper both sides go a little further to prove their point and as a result Caro has been writing things where facts are drowned in mayo so that she can stick it to News Ltd as much as her hatred of Hird and the club post Beverly Knights. If it was a fight with someone in her office their boss would be expecting a more conciliatory tone.

Fairfax already picked their side. That's how you respond to that issue. Certainly leak to Holmes, Le Grand etc.

cymarak

Go Gators !
Aug 7, 2009
Over it. All of it.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
49ers, Gators
I didn't mean to imply the NSW media were ignoring the issue, I'm simply saying they're not going for the throat Caro style.
While they obviously don't ignore big things that happen in league they will take a stab at the AFL when they can. Phil "Buzz" Rothfield and Rebecca Wilson have penned their fair share of anti AFL/Essendon articles.

Caro's best attempt at having a go at league is yet another one of her anti-hird/essendon articles where she mentions Cronulla in a passing comment
My impression is that the NRL community in general is a bit insecure about 'only' being #2 in Australian sport, whereas the AFL community doesn't really care enough about the NRL to worry much about trying to discredit it.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I thought someone was having me on when they told me yesterday Caro had trolled us yet again.

She is ABSOLUTELY ****ING OBSESSED!!

PR manager linked to Labour, The AFL, and Essendon, you'd wonder if they had a PR managed outcome for this where did Essendon sit in that chain, both Labour and the AFL had used them extensively.

She was behind the Tracy mother ads that attacked workchoices while Howard was in govenment.

Some guessing for sure, but leaves you wondering a little.
So what you're saying is, she's a good Labour man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back