No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But do the mods expect all discussion on the subject to cease upon the announcement from WADA?

Realistically that's not gonna happen. So we take discuss into other threads, yeah?
In truth, we haven't arrived at a definite conclusion on what would happen.

As I see it, there are two routes we could take:

a) leave this open
b) close this, and let any topics worthy of further discussion spawn their own threads from posters as they arise.

What we wouldn't want is a second delusional pearlers type thread. One is enough.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'd like to hear Merv's view of the saga. He's remained strangely quiet throughout...
Half the people here won't even know who you're talking about.

Since this thread is coming to an end we should all reflect on the memorable post on this saga.

My favorite when Maddadam was found to be quoting his own article and his identity reveal, trying to past off his own gossip column as a reliable source on this topic.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
My favourites without hesitation are the posts relating to our boys being NOT GUILTY

Sweeter words never uttered in this thread

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Since this thread is coming to an end we should all reflect on the memorable post on this saga.

My favorite when Maddadam was found to be quoting his own article and his identity reveal, trying to past off his own gossip column as a reliable source on this topic.

I thought that was old mate Billy. I get them confused with there 700 old user names

I wonder if it's like bloody mary. Rory Cahill, Rory Cahill, Rory Cahill. AHHHHHHH, The Humanity.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought that was old mate Billy. I get them confused with there 700 old user names

I wonder if it's like bloody mary. Rory Cahill, Rory Cahill, Rory Cahill. AHHHHHHH, The Humanity.
Maddadam had another user name when he posted that thread, can't remember what it was but I remember that initial post of his because I was the one who called him out with using his own column as facts.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Maddadam had another user name when he posted that thread, can't remember what it was but I remember that initial post of his because I was the one who called him out with using his own column as facts.
DawofPerception I think he was at the time. Wonder why he changed his username? Absolute flog

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

a) leave this open
b) close this, and let any topics worthy of further discussion spawn their own threads from posters as they arise.

What we wouldn't want is a second delusional pearlers type thread. One is enough.

Could just leave it open and it'll get bumped occasionally by new stories.

Eventually it'll sink onto the 2nd page and beyond.

expires

Club Legend
May 20, 2014
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
But do the mods expect all discussion on the subject to cease upon the announcement from WADA?

Realistically that's not gonna happen. So we take discuss into other threads, yeah?

I to vote natural death, freedom of speech and down with the government. Allowing the thing to die because it does appeals more than euthanizing. Same difference in the end I suppose.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Asada decision to walk away makes a mockery of doping scandal investigation
Tracey Holmes
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...decision-mockery-doping-scandal-investigation

The then sports minister Lundy declared at the “blackest day” press conference, “today is about the integrity of Australian sport”. She was right. It was the day federal government politicians, a crime authority and the anti-doping authority blackened the reputations of Australian athletes. Who pays for that? Who rights the wrongs? Who gives back the two years of trauma and allegations dished out to players and coaches? Asada? No, its role in this whole saga is now over. Just ask Ben McDevitt…oh sorry , he’s not taking any more questions.

The chief of Australia’s anti-doping police on Monday retreated from his public lectern and his employers issued a press statement. “Asada CEO Ben McDevitt has today announced that he will not appeal to the AFL Anti-Doping Appeals Tribunal in respect of the findings in relation to 34 current and former Essendon players and one support person, Stephen Dank.” Beyond that, McDevitt says he has no further comment.

OK. That’s it then. All over. Back to work, boys. Not sure what all the fuss was about. Move on. Unless of course the World Anti-Doping Agency decides in 21 days time to refer it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne. But for that to happen Wada would need to find evidence that has escaped investigators here for the past two plus years.

Let’s remind ourselves of the many threats and allegations we’ve heard thus far. First, there was the press conference that became known as the “blackest day in Australian sport”. “Come forward before you get a knock at the door,” Jason Clare, Federal (Labor) Justice Minister, said on that day in January, 2013, while the Federal (Labor) Sports Minister, Kate Lundy, said, “We are well on the way to seeking out and hunting down those who will dope and cheat.”

Much of the media were more than willing to play along. Rumour, innuendo, suspicion was accepted as fact. Here is the ABC’S 7:30 programfrom 7 February, 2013: “A 12-month investigation by Australia’s top crime body has found performance-enhancing drug use is widespread in the major sporting codes, a habit fed by organised crime. Sports scientists, high-performance coaches and other staff are running the illicit programs.”

So how does that description stack up with the facts? The biggest target was the Essendon Football Club in the AFL. Coaches and support staff were demonised and had their reputations trashed publicly. Players were named and also dragged through the mud. All before a single charge had been laid – or as it turns out, enough evidence gathered to force a single charge.

On 31 March of this year, the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal found 34 past and present Essendon players not guilty of taking banned substances. Not a single one. The findings prompted McDevitt to claim what happened at Essendon was “a disgrace”.

“Let’s make this clear, this was not a supplements program, this was an injections regime,” he declared, bringing back to life another out-of-context statement made somewhere in the turmoil of this saga, that of, “a pharmacologically experimental regime”. This was a direct reference to the Switkowski report, an internal study into governance at Essendon carried out by leading business figure Dr Ziggy Switkowski. Rarely cited is another part of that report, where Switkowski himself concedes knowledge of supplements was way outside his sphere of knowledge and that’s not what he was reporting on anyway.

Then, on Friday just gone, the same Anti-Doping Tribunal released its findings into the sports scientist Dank, the alleged mastermind of this “doping regime”. Of 34 charges levelled against Dank, 24 were dismissed.

The remaining 10 upheld are an interesting mish-mash of also-rans: two relate to baseball (which I, like many, wasn’t aware the AFL had jurisdiction over); one relates to the Medical Rejuvenation Clinic – a legal business Mr Dank had ties to (again, something I was unaware the AFL had jurisdiction over); three concern support personnel at clubs that were not Essendon or NRL club Cronulla (and involved the individuals being given a supplement they were legally allowed to take); two of them involve “attempting to traffic” and “assisting with trafficking” supplements to a support person at Essendon (again, that legally, they were entitled to have).

And, then, these two – which do relate to Essendon and potentially the players: attempting to traffic and assisting in trafficking to Essendon FC ‘Humanofort’ – a supplement alleged, by Asada, to contain a cocktail of banned substances.

The only problem is this – the Therapeutics Good Administration conducted testing on the Humanofort product and found there to be no banned substances, from a human consumption perspective. You and I can visit a number of supplement stores or health food shops and buy it in either powder or tablet form. While that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is a permitted substance for athletes (as the rules are different to the general public and are even different between sports), in my view it’s a good indicator that there isn’t anything nefarious in Humanofort.

Needless to say, Dank is appealing the findings. Asada is not. Monday’s events are telling. The then sports minister Lundy declared at the “blackest day” press conference, “today is about the integrity of Australian sport”. She was right. It was the day federal government politicians, a crime authority and the anti-doping authority blackened the reputations of Australian athletes. Who pays for that? Who rights the wrongs? Who gives back the two years of trauma and allegations dished out to players and coaches? Asada? No, its role in this whole saga is now over. Just ask Ben McDevitt…oh sorry , he’s not taking any more questions.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
How else do you get multiple North supporters.

Much like them buying multiple memberships and swiping them to boost crowd numbers.

s**t club.
did lol
although the real reason is that he made a complete fool of himself and wanted to fly under the radar again.

expires

Club Legend
May 20, 2014
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Asada decision to walk away makes a mockery of doping scandal investigation
Tracey Holmes
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...decision-mockery-doping-scandal-investigation

The then sports minister Lundy declared at the “blackest day” press conference, “today is about the integrity of Australian sport”. She was right. It was the day federal government politicians, a crime authority and the anti-doping authority blackened the reputations of Australian athletes. Who pays for that? Who rights the wrongs? Who gives back the two years of trauma and allegations dished out to players and coaches? Asada? No, its role in this whole saga is now over. Just ask Ben McDevitt…oh sorry , he’s not taking any more questions.

Who rights the wrong? The club just has to Nelson Mandella it.

Keep this open. Its one of the few places where we have had a chance to discuss. Been therapeutic-like at times. Repercussions will be ongoing so why close it?
Because it's tacky and I hate it.

a) leave this open

Personally I'd leave it open for a bit. Will still be discussion around it.

However if you find it making its way to page 2.....
Forposterity.png

My favorite when Maddadam was found to be quoting his own article and his identity was revealed, trying to past off his own gossip column as a reliable source on this topic.

When he got outed and the moderaters had to filter Rory to 'Wayne Carey'.

That was a good day

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing

a) leave this open

For what it's worth I've already changed my mind. Was all for closing it at completion of WADA. But let's wait and see what happens elsewhere first if we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back