Ashes 2015, Third Test - England v Australia - Day 2, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They assumed slotting Voges in would work the same as Rogers, he'd slot in and do a job. His failures however have shown he's just a state player who has never been quite good enough for the next level. Rogers deserved to be in the side long before he finally got a proper go whereas Voges has never really been in a position aside from the summer just been where he's demanded selection.

Those calling for Klinger would be in for the same disappointment. Averages 38 at FC level and is certainly not Test standard, more chance of failing then Voges.

As Ian Healy correctly said last night. White ball cricket is different to red ball. Batsmen dictate the way a bowler plays. If they are attacking you fire in more yorkers. If they are defending you throw in more enticing balls up and it happens a lot quicker than test match cricket. Starc is like the Warner of bowling. Doesn't have the temperament to play tests. He's all over the shop and doesn't know what is coming out of his hand, but unlike Johnson who is the same, doesn't have the fire spitting short ball.

How can you be singling out Warner when we have Clarke and Voges in the side? Warner has played some good innings (while not match saving) in games where we've suffered heavy defeats. (Hobart, Cardiff, here and his hundred in the UAE). Temperament or not I'd rather he was batting when we are in a poor position rather then some of the others.

Pretty good Slax ,But would have thought Anderson was more than a 6 ? He set the game up for the poms with a six for, plus got Warner in the 2nd digs .
Actually debated Anderson in my mind a fair bit, I ended marking him down as he got injured and couldn't fulfil his role as the leader of the attack.

Marsh at 5 with the plan to shift him to opener once Rogers retires would be the go IMO. Once the Ashes is over Rogers and Clarke will be departing so we need to find 2 middle order batsmen.

So how about we leave Marsh at 5 where he is better. This Marsh as opener thing is weird, he is a middle order bat. We have Joe Burns and Cameron Bancroft who are openers.

Unfortunately we're not in a position to get to 300

Honestly I feel 150-170 is a decent target...now whether we can get there is another thing...but see off Broad and don't gift wrap Finn more wickets in the first hour, you never know.

Actually debated Anderson in my mind a fair bit, I ended marking him down as he got injured and couldn't fulfil his role as the leader of the attack.

Can I say I don't mind Anderson's score. Probably maybe a 7 but the one I feel is harsh is Broad. He is at least an 8 maybe 8.5. Handy 31 with the bat in a low scoring game and continually beat the bat, and gets the prized wicket of Rogers.

Clarke looks done, but we have no choice but to hope that he can somehow turn it around. Voges is highly unlikely to get another chance. When you bring in a player at his age, you at least expect a cool head. He hasn't dealt with the pressure in this match, that's for sure. Was picking him in the Windies overly conservative? Based on current evidence, maybe it was the wrong call. Burns, Handscomb, Lynn, Maddinson, Ferguson... whoever. Picking in form players in understandable. But at some point, you have to take a chance on someone with more than a couple of years left at best.
M Marsh looked promising in the UAE, but is still yet to prove that he's a better batsman than ******* Watto. Does not play well in pressure situations. It's understandable, but he's yet to prove he's a test quality batsman. Far too loose.
They assumed slotting Voges in would work the same as Rogers, he'd slot in and do a job. His failures however have shown he's just a state player who has never been quite good enough for the next level. Rogers deserved to be in the side long before he finally got a proper go whereas Voges has never really been in a position aside from the summer just been where he's demanded selection.

Those calling for Klinger would be in for the same disappointment. Averages 38 at FC level and is certainly not Test standard, more chance of failing then Voges.
Rogers is the exception rather than the rule. It's hard enough for guys who have being playing test cricket for 10+ years to maintain the standard required at 35+, it's a big ask to assume someone is going to be able to make the step up at that age .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee you're tough. Overall he is the reason they are in this position
My rankings are for day 2 only, I do them for each day and will do one after the match is competed. For that one he is sitting on about an 8/10 with Finn just pipping him for Man of Match for mine if things go as expected tonight.

Unfortunately we're not in a position to get to 300

got to stay positive! anything can happen. 3 days of rain, all their bowlers injured (ok maybe we would still get out anyway), maiden double-tons, bowl them out for 50. i have hazlewood down for a gutsy little 60. lyon for a swashbuckling 40 until he chips another one to mid on as is his wont. starc a curtly spell of 7-1.

My rankings are for day 2 only, I do them for each day and will do one after the match is competed. For that one he is sitting on about an 8/10 with Finn just pipping him for Man of Match for mine if things go as expected tonight.

Anderson is at least a 9/10 for the match, and I disagree on the MOTM. What happens in the 2nd dig means little. The 1st innings won the match- Anderson.

Joe Burns, did nothing wrong, should be on this tour.

I know. He can bat anywhere so the selectors will need to decide where they think he is best suited. I really hope he gets picked. I got his test number tattooed on my arse FFS. #441

I know. He can bat anywhere so the selectors will need to decide where they think he is best suited. I really hope he gets picked. I got his test number tattooed on my arse FFS. #441

The visual of that is a bit...um disturbing lol.

I sort of am tossing and turning over Burns. My view is that we have a few openers. What we don't have is THAT many middle order bats, thus him at 4 or 5 is probably best for the team.

We are similar to England in that our team is very dependent on certain players firing and the conditions being right.

For us making runs its top 3 or bust, bowling wise the issues are nowhere near as problematic, but Starc should definitely be better.

For England they need the ball swinging, but their batting has nearly as many issues as ours.

Hindsight says we should of bowled first, be interesting to see how it would of turned out if we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back