Ashes 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, last night pretty much set the team, I'd think. Harris isn't playing the first Test if he wasn't fit to play this tour game. Mitch Marsh must play ahead of Watson. Watto just confirmed what we have known for years, that he can play some nice shots and score some runs but he isn't all that good at not getting out.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
M. Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

I suppose Harris will come in, if fit, for whichever bowler doesn't perform in the first test or more likely first two. I doubt Neville will play unless Haddin is injured or retires mid-series as Australia go up 3-0. S. Marsh might be some chance to come in at some point as well. Don't see Siddle playing unless there are two other quicks unavailable.

If it does turn out to be a hotter drier English Summer then although it means that 5 full days are more likely to be available for each match it will also mean that conditions are great for batting. Neither nation really has a spinner capable of exploiting the conditions to the point of being able to grenade toss a whole lineup out. I think it will also make Hazlewood a lot more important as he is perhaps the least reliant on favourable conditions of all our bowlers.

There's one spinner in division 1 with more than 20 wickets, Jeetan Petal. The only two in division 2 that have 20+ are Zafar Ansari (who seems to be an A/R) and Kerrigan.

Well, last night pretty much set the team, I'd think. Harris isn't playing the first Test if he wasn't fit to play this tour game. Mitch Marsh must play ahead of Watson. Watto just confirmed what we have known for years, that he can play some nice shots and score some runs but he isn't all that good at not getting out.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
M. Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

I suppose Harris will come in, if fit, for whichever bowler doesn't perform in the first test or more likely first two. I doubt Neville will play unless Haddin is injured or retires mid-series as Australia go up 3-0. S. Marsh might be some chance to come in at some point as well. Don't see Siddle playing unless there are two other quicks unavailable.

If it does turn out to be a hotter drier English Summer then although it means that 5 full days are more likely to be available for each match it will also mean that conditions are great for batting. Neither nation really has a spinner capable of exploiting the conditions to the point of being able to grenade toss a whole lineup out. I think it will also make Hazlewood a lot more important as he is perhaps the least reliant on favourable conditions of all our bowlers.

If Watson bowls well in this match, he'll be picked for at least the first test as he's scored runs in both tour matches. Obviously not as much as Mitch Marsh but still he's not failed.

There's one spinner in division 1 with more than 20 wickets, Jeetan Petal. The only two in division 2 that have 20+ are Zafar Ansari (who seems to be an A/R) and Kerrigan.

Patel is a Kiwi, isn't he? I wouldn't be too worried about any of them. Rashid is promising but I don't see him having much impact this series.

Patel is a Kiwi, isn't he? I wouldn't be too worried about any of them. Rashid is promising but I don't see him having much impact this series.
Yep. He's become sort of a county pro for Warwickshire, and is 35.

What they really need to do is get by with Ali for the next year and a bit, and tell Rashid and Borthwick to focus solely on their bowling and give the spinner spot to the better player after next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minor matter I know - but why is Siddle batting ahead of Lyon

He's little more than a net bowler on this tour and Lyon needs the batting practice

Yes, it's odd. I'm suspicious of it, though it might be just because Lyon was in the toilet or something when Haze got out. Clarke will want to declare fairly soon as rain has interrupted play.

Don't know if anyone else is listening but the comms BBC Essex stream think they are off the air but if you turn your volume up can clearly be heard discussing 'cultural' differences between Aus and England.

Jim Maxwell just said "If the Scots get in control, you lot are really ****ed." I hope no-one tells them they can be heard. Damn, I think they have just been informed.

Question... the Ashes are on Foxtel, right? ....right?!
I went looking for it in the tv guide (or foxtel planner) and I couldn't find it.
I'm almost 100% certain it will be shown on foxtel, just thought I'd ask if anyone knew. Hope like hell it's not just on nine/gem.

Question... the Ashes are on Foxtel, right? ....right?!
I went looking for it in the tv guide (or foxtel planner) and I couldn't find it.
I'm almost 100% certain it will be shown on foxtel, just thought I'd ask if anyone knew. Hope like hell it's not just on nine/gem.
Pretty sure 9 have the exclusive rights and are putting it on GEM for HD
Means we have to put up with Ch9 commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Back