Ashes 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly some rumours that what Cook says go's in the England camp. Sure the same could be said about Clarke though
It was suggested that Strauss banning KP was down to Cook laying down an ultimatum of "if he plays, i don't"

Sounds like a load of regurgitated wank.

Every impression of Cook given by Pietersen himself was that he was a lackey or company yes man.

Compton was treated poorly, but this is the supposed reason:

That he probably will not is largely due to a misunderstanding. Having taken a blow in the 2013 Headingley Test against New Zealand, Compton was sent for a scan and, while chatting to a doctor, was informed that he probably had a cracked rib. When the scans were analysed, however, he was shown to have suffered nothing more than deep bruising and it was alleged by the team management that he had shirked his fielding duties as he did not want to put himself in the firing line. Compton was offended, words were exchanged and he has never been selected since. It is two years since the selectors even spoke to him about a possible recall.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/902591.html

I really feel that County cricket has a lot to do with this. The system is such that there are too many sides for the talent so it is spread thinner thus weakening the competition. You need a strong domestic competition to allow players to come in better prepared. The stronger counties also top up with elite foreign players which also stifles development of younger players.

What the ECB need to do is try and work out some sort of way of getting their elite young talent to player the English winter overseas. Think of the boost to a career that a 21 year-old would get from a season or two in Australia or South Africa playing FC, would be a massive boost. Even if you got some to NZ it would help as they'd get more cricket into them and the flow on would help NZ cricket as you'd more true FC players into the system there.

I think they've got more problems with their quicks. There is a massive amount of games per year for the County teams, how the bowlers are supposed to keep up proper quick bowling is beyond me.

I think they've got more problems with their quicks. There is a massive amount of games per year for the County teams, how the bowlers are supposed to keep up proper quick bowling is beyond me.
Agree to a point, what is really hurting bowling stocks is all the short form of the game and the need for bowlers to be able to bat. It means that instead of focusing on becoming the next Anderson they want to become like Broad was in his early career, a bowler who can bat.

Agree to a point, what is really hurting bowling stocks is all the short form of the game and the need for bowlers to be able to bat. It means that instead of focusing on becoming the next Anderson they want to become like Broad was in his early career, a bowler who can bat.

That's not going to change though. Not many true Muralis or McGraths about these days.

Funny how most bowlers fancy themselves for the all-rounder tag but not so many batsmen do.

That's not going to change though. Not many true Muralis or McGraths about these days.

Funny how most bowlers fancy themselves for the all-rounder tag but not so many batsmen do.
This makes sense though. Every bowler must bat. If a number 11 averages 15 instead of 5, a middle order player can afford to average 40 instead of 50. If a batsman is an average part timer, they don't bring nearly as much extra value to the team

Interesting to note that Nevill is currently behind the stumps in the tour game against Derbyshire- are the selectors perhaps signalling intent?

Sorry, but I think you need to look at their domestic fixture before making a statement like that.

They play absolutely SFA white ball cricket. One T20 game a week throughout the year and tonight they will play the first 50 over games of the season which is a slightly longer version of what we have here now (goes for roughly a month).

Week in and week out they are playing red ball cricket - possibly too much and too close together resulting in thoroughbreds developing into pack horses.

Serious question - If The Ashes are about "win now", rather than developing for the future, then wouldn't it be logical to pick a bloke who has vast experience and great success in English conditions, eg. Steve Magoffin? Or is it just "assumed" or somehow "known" that he'd somehow not cut it against England in England, despite having success bowling against English players in English conditions?

Magoffin's bowling numbers in the County Championship (all Division One) from 2012-Present - 1,899 overs, 523 maidens, 5,023 runs, 246 wickets (12 5-fers) - 20.42 average, 2.65 economy rate, 46.32 strike rate.

I guess I'm not really strongly arguing that Magoffin deserves to be in ahead of our current Test players, just moreso wondering why these sort of performances (experience and playing to the conditions) rarely seem to see a player come under consideration. If he was putting up those sort of numbers in Sheffield Shield, people would be screaming for him to be in the Test side (or maybe not, purely due to his age).

Well if he's playing and bowling well against the best England has to offer in Division One of the County Championship (has been top 5 in wickets taken from every season from 2012-present, including the current one), surely stepping up to play them in Test cricket isn't that much of a jump?

Again, not necessarily saying that Magoffin should be there, just find it odd that it's not even a consideration.

CricInfo writers now asking the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back