Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe if he retires now his spot becomes vacant and he will not be entitled to any settlement and his salary from next year's contract also becomes void. However if there is a negotiated settlement, whatever the negotiated payout is. may or may not be included in the TPP for this year, depends if there is room. Considering we are not paying 100% of the TPP there should be no problems with the club negotiating an amicable agreement with Ash.
Ash would not retire because he risks loosing a lot of money. Even if he plays the remainder of his contract in the reserves it is financially beneficial to Ash just to stay on the list. However a generous payout this year would be beneficial to both parties. Opens up a spot on the list for us and he gets to retire with dignity and respect.
This is a perfect example why our club should only sign players on a single year contracts with players aged 29 and over.

I'm not ready for Ash to retire yet. I haven't my fill of saying that he's been "big around the ground" just yet.

But seriously, I think it would be best if he sees his contract out next year, to try to ameliorate the inevitable experience-drain with the possibility of Goose, Black and Brown all hanging them up soon.

After kicking 6 goals today you are spot on.

No reason why he shouldn't play on next year. Experienced, can play either end.

Couldn't agree more chopper. Is contracted and others have said, just offers a bit of experience around the place particularly if Black and Brown do decide to pull the pin. He just offers a bit of flexibility and I personally see no reason why he wouldn't and shouldn't go on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those not aware, this is a contest where players are challenged to kick the ball to hit a picnic blanket, with a carton of beer (?) if a player gets it into a basket placed on the blanket. I don't think it has been achieved all summer.

FWIW, Ash's field kicking has probably been underrated throughout his career. In 2009, some of his kicking coming out of the back half was elite.

For those not aware, this is a contest where players are challenged to kick the ball to hit a picnic blanket, with a carton of beer (?) if a player gets it into a basket placed on the blanket. I don't think it has been achieved all summer.

FWIW, Ash's field kicking has probably been underrated throughout his career. In 2009, some of his kicking coming out of the back half was elite.

Where he should stay if he wasn't so lazy.

Ash has been a stand-out this pre-season; the best I've seen from him. Really reinforced that he is one of the most talented players on our list. He's always had that talent, but the effort hasn't always been there in previous years. While he's an old dog and won't be picking up any new tricks, here's hoping he can find some consistency this year. More of last game's form would make our forward lineI a lot more potent.

Ash has been a stand-out this pre-season; the best I've seen from him. Really reinforced that he is one of the most talented players on our list. He's always had that talent, but the effort hasn't always been there in previous years. While he's an old dog and won't be picking up any new tricks, here's hoping he can find some consistency this year. More of last game's form would make our forward lineI a lot more potent.

More of his Geelong games spread out to all 22, and he'd be a deadset AA Forward.

Link to the above article: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s-kicking-skills/story-fnia3y5g-1226818981559

PLAYING for his future has turned Brisbane veteran Ash McGrath into a basket case.

The 30-year-old is in the final year of his contract at the Gabba but the 208-gamer has weaved some magic on the training paddock to prove the old dog has some new tricks.

All pre-season, Lions players have unsuccessfully been trying to land a Sherrin into a picnic basket from 40 metres at the club's weekly skills sessions.

McGrath piloted the football into the wicker basket twice in the space of three minutes at training this week to stun his teammates and coaching staff.

Miracles on grass are not new to the 2003 premiership player who kicked the winning goal after the siren in his 200th senior match against Geelong at the Gabba in Round 13 last year.

The WA product hopes there are many more magical memories before he hangs up the boots.

"It's a big year for me. It will be interesting to see where my career goes but I'd like to go around again after this year,'' McGrath said.

"It obviously depends on the footy club and whether or not they see me in their plans for another year but if my form holds up and I can keep making a contribution then we'll just have to see how it pans out.''

With a new game plan, Ash playing forward might cash in big. Ash has always lead well and found space up forward, if we can get away from the bombing, I think he would bob up more and his game apoear more consistent. Could easily kick 30 goals for the year, along with Staker, Mcguane and Green. That many goals from our smalls would be a great outcome.

Think Ash knows he has to battle for his spot in his last few years, and is putting in the hard yards. Ive never heard so much talk about him during preseason before, either training or being in good prac match form.

Nice to hear,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back