Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally disagree with your assessment of Green. He is only a cub at this stage and he has shown enormous defensive energy and an uncanny ability to find the goals...love him in the team and believe he has been our best small forward option since the days of McRae.

Defensive energy - tick
Uncanny ability to find goals ??? 17 goals in 14 games. It's an okay return, but he still needs to find more consistency in games. Goes missing sometimes.

Defensive energy - tick
Uncanny ability to find goals ??? 17 goals in 14 games. It's an okay return, but he still needs to find more consistency in games. Goes missing sometimes.

You do seem to have unrealistic expectations for small forwards. Averaging a goal a game or better is pretty good for a small forward.

You do seem to have unrealistic expectations for small forwards. Averaging a goal a game or better is pretty good for a small forward.

I guess I am a bit harsh on Green. No point in lowering standards, if he can get the average up to around 1.5-2 goals a game it would be a good return.

I guess I am a bit harsh on Green. No point in lowering standards, if he can get the average up to around 1.5-2 goals a game it would be a good return.

Milne, one of the best small forwards of all time averages two goals a game. So a "good return" requires them to be one of the best ever to play his position? Our best small forward, McRae, averaged 1.2. Betts, probably the second best small forward currently, averages 1.5.

Using http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/whos-the-best-small-forward/story-e6frf9jf-1225855799088 as a list of the best in the last 30 years:

Brad Johnson, 1.46
Jeff Farmer, 1.93
Phillip Matera, 2.17
Stephen Milne, 2.09
Nathan Brown, 1.59
Phil Krakouer, 1.59

1.5-2 goals is "best of all time" air. I'm not convinced that's realistic.

Betts the second best small forward currently? Based on what form?

Jeff Garlett 1.76
Michael Walters 1.95
Luke Breust 1.75
Lindsay Thomas 1.57
Ahmed Saad 1.55
Mark Lecras 2.30

Realistic enough?

Betts the second best small forward currently? Based on what form?

Jeff Garlett 1.76
Michael Walters 1.95
Luke Breust 1.75
Lindsay Thomas 1.57
Ahmed Saad 1.55
Mark Lecras 2.30

Realistic enough?

Based on form over the last five years. LeCras plays as a marking forward more than your average small forward which is why I excluded him. Thomas again would be one of the best. The others are ok, and fair enough, but over one goal a game is still a good small forward.

Based on form over the last five years. LeCras plays as a marking forward more than your average small forward which is why I excluded him. Thomas again would be one of the best. The others are ok, and fair enough, but over one goal a game is still a good small forward.

I think you will find the most teams have small forwards averaging a goal a game. If you want to be a bit more lenient, maybe a 1.3+ target for Green.

Oh really. Didn't sound that way during commentary, more like a decision based on if his body can hold up or not.

I'd say form would be the greater worry. Must be a bit humiliating for someone like him to have to play a few weeks of NEAFL for form reasons. Dylan is right though, he signed a 2 year deal last season to memory so he's got at least one left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia's International Rules squad: Tony Armstrong (Sydney), Harley Bennell (Gold Coast), Eddie Betts (Carlton), Shaun Burgoyne (Hawthorn), Allen Christensen (Geelong), Aaron Davey (Melbourne), Alwyn Davey (Essendon), Courtenay Dempsey (Essendon), Shane Edwards (Richmond), Lance Franklin (Hawthorn), Adam Goodes (Sydney), Curtly Hampton (Greater Western Sydney), Bradley Hill (Hawthorn), Josh Hill (West Coast), Stephen Hill (Fremantle), Leroy Jetta (Essendon), Lewis Jetta (Sydney), Michael Johnson (Fremantle), Andrew Krakouer (Collingwood), Nathan Lovett-Murray (Essendon), Brandon Matera (Gold Coast), Ash McGrath (Brisbane), Steven Motlop (Geelong), Danyle Pearce (Fremantle), Patrick Ryder (Essendon), Mathew Stokes (Geelong), Lindsay Thomas (North Melbourne), Travis Varcoe (Geelong), Andrew Walker (Carlton), Michael Walters (Fremantle), Sharrod Wellingham (West Coast), Daniel Wells (North Melbourne), Chris Yarran (Carlton).

To me, McGrath is on the verge. I watched him when he got dropped to the 2's and he was very impressive. Obviously didn't want to be playing at that level.

However, since regaining his spot at the top he has obviously been less than impressive. Let's face it- he is overweight and at his age this is a handicap he can ill afford.

If he is to see out his contract he will need to make every post a winner.

Personally, I hope he gives it away at season's end. Go out on an impressive record as a first 18 player. Cannot see a new coach having any sentimentality,& Ash's poor games are coming too often now.

Thanx for the memories Ash.

Is contracted; and if the club forces him out as is customary at the Lions, demand his final year be paid out in full.
A mentoring role in the reserves would be a great way to make a contribution. I am envisaging something akin to the way Voss managed Buchanan.

McGrath in Indigenous squad

Lions veteran Ash McGrath has been named in the 33-man Indigenous Australian Rules team which will play in the 2013 International Rules Series against Ireland.

McGrath, who has previously represented the Indigenous All-Stars previously, is now set to represent his country for the first time if selected in the final 21-man team.

He could even potentially line up against Lions teammate Pearce Hanley, should Hanley be selected in Ireland's squad.
McGrath_Celebrate-hero.jpg

Sincerely hopes he gets a nod for what could be (outside his premiership medallion) a crowning moment of his career.

well if he retired this season wouldnt his contract for next year be void creating a list spot?

I don't believe so but I haven't got a source on that. Contract remains valid, club and player have an agreement they will not play any games. Otherwise we would see injured players having their contracts paid out to replace them on the list.

I don't believe so but I haven't got a source on that. Contract remains valid, club and player have an agreement they will not play any games. Otherwise we would see injured players having their contracts paid out to replace them on the list.

If he were not to go on and elected some form of settlement or wanted to go, but the new coach/club wanted to delist him, that pay out/salary would be included under next years salary cap.

Yeah that's what I was getting at, he would also retain his spot on the playing list too.

He wouldn't retain his spot on the playing list if he retires or was delisted at the end of the year. We would regain that spot but the retirement settlement (I'm not sure of the standard contract details here) or the balance of his contract (if delisted) would count towards next year's salary cap.

Actually if he retires at the end of this year and we have sufficient salary cap, I'm also pretty sure that we can accelerate any retirement settlement into being against this year's salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back