Asia could vote aust. out of AFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is nothing new it's been discussed ever since Australia joined the AFC and it's always the West Asian/gulf/Middle East/Arab whatever... countries who are pissed off that Australia is taking up one of the World Cup spots which would most likely go to one of them if Australia is booted out.

Pathetic really instead of trying to improve themselves they resort to whimpy tactics to kick out one of the regions strongest teams all because they have oil money and think it's a given right they should have a presence on the world stage. A stage they have always embarrassed themselves in, why? Because they are absolute shite at playing football!

Haven't brought enough? Well I like to see any other AFC nation make the AFC's flagship tournament as successful as Australia has this summer.
Not only is Australia a big chance to win the tournament one of our clubs has also won the ACL last season. We are making inroads and become a power in the region and the west are running scared.

Its always sour grapes with them. Nothing will come of it all talk that's all.

Last edited:
I call bullshit on this. Only days ago the AFC secretary was glowing in his praise of our hosting of the Asian Cup and how it was better than any before. Behind closed doors there probably is talk about how the AFC wished the world cup went to Australia as opposed to Qatar where it will be a shambles. This has caused a stir amongst the gulf arab nations.

So far this thread, and the comments from the following article, prove the Gulf countries right. There's only one reason why Australia wanted to get into the AFC. That is to get an easier opportunity to get in the WC. They're onto us, and they're right. Had we continually qualified through Oceania, there would've been no chance of wanting to get into the AFC. Australia benefits hugely through AFC participation, whereas we give **** all. Don't get upset. Just admit it. They're right.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...n-football-confederation-20150129-131e5g.html

So far this thread, and the comments from the following article, prove the Gulf countries right. There's only one reason why Australia wanted to get into the AFC. That is to get an easier opportunity to get in the WC. They're onto us, and they're right. Had we continually qualified through Oceania, there would've been no chance of wanting to get into the AFC. Australia benefits hugely through AFC participation, whereas we give **** all. Don't get upset. Just admit it. They're right.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...n-football-confederation-20150129-131e5g.html
We've just hosted their major competition - not sure I'd say that we give * all...

That's certainly part of it. But we also wanted a higher standard of opposition (lets face it, New Zealand is the only OFC country capable of matching us and even they aren't really that competitive) and more regular competitions and tournaments. The Asian Cup has been a roaring success here and despite our current FIFA Ranking we are experiencing the most competitive period in our history.

It's all just talk from disgruntled countries that aren't quite as competitive as we are. There is more chance of AFC & OFC merging than Australia being kicked out, FIFA never would allow it, especially as the reasoning we have contributed "nothing" to the AFC is blatantly incorrect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I call bullshit on this. Only days ago the AFC secretary was glowing in his praise of our hosting of the Asian Cup and how it was better than any before. Behind closed doors there probably is talk about how the AFC wished the world cup went to Australia as opposed to Qatar where it will be a shambles. This has caused a stir amongst the gulf arab nations.

I reckon it could be true
Asians generally don't like Australia IMHO. In a football sense. Japan, Iran, South Korea were the big fish in a small pond. They pretend they like competition but I doubt. They do not I reckon...

Now Australia champions of Asia. (Mass imo lugonogo hat rick)
WSW champions of Asian. Mvfc future champions of Asian. Put yourself on their shoes, you could see how Aussies would. Give you the shits

Last edited:
Israel is in Europe because the Arab nations refused to play them on political grounds, and kicked them out of Asia. We should take that as a very serious warning.

I know I was just being silly, But it's no more in Europe than Australia is it? Might be a bit closer by fifa still taking the piss

Personally I reckon screw the Asians. We should not be scared of them. However, I'd be lining up a trillion dollar law suit at Genova

Japan / Korea / China are on good terms with us. This is all coming from the arab nations who will never be on the same level as despite virtually unlimited cash reserves. Australia 2015 overshadowing Qatar 11 would further irritate them plus many AFC nations realise that a Qatar WC will be a joke and have most likely expressed behind closed doors their preference for Qatar to be stripped of the tournament and award it to either China / Aust / Japan / Korea.

Yep, saw that too Oz.

Asian Football Confederation (AFC) general secretary Alex Soosay said Australia, which lost out to Qatar for the 2022 World Cup, had overcome initial doubts within the body.

"I think holding a World Cup in Australia, definitely, they have the mettle, they have the confidence, they have the infrastructure," Soosay said.

"They have everything here to host. I think it will be a remarkable World Cup here if Australia host the World Cup."

Not sure I'd agree with that to be honest. Hypothetically even if we were securing regular WC qualification through Oceania, Asia would still present a far more attractive WC qualification process for us than Oceania. The chance to regularly play better quality opposition, the associated commercial benefits of playing higher profile matches and being part of a confederation with more 'relevance' than Oceania (no disrespect intended to the current OFC nations).

Yes we probably joined the AFC for the possibility of increasing our chances of WC qualification (granted the AFC are given more spots. Further to that - some have even suggested too many spots for a WC) but I doubt it was the sole reason we jumped to Asia. There are significant benefits to playing in Asia both from a national team and a domestic league perspective; which is ultimately (IMO) in the best interests of the code's development in Australia.

As for giving 'nothing' back. They don't need to look too far past how successful the Asian Cup has been here in Australia. It's on track to hit the 600k mark for match attendances - which would put it third as the highest total attendance at an Asian Cup tournament (behind China in 2004 and Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia in 2007).

Further to that, as the article you posted mentioned we're 5th in the entire confederation (despite having a relatively small population) for broadcast rights. From a playing perspective, you could argue it would also enhance the development of those nations to be playing matches against us; both in a competitive sense but also due to our style of play tending to be more physical and closer to the European nations.

Yep, saw that too Oz.

Asian Football Confederation (AFC) general secretary Alex Soosay said Australia, which lost out to Qatar for the 2022 World Cup, had overcome initial doubts within the body.

"I think holding a World Cup in Australia, definitely, they have the mettle, they have the confidence, they have the infrastructure," Soosay said.

"They have everything here to host. I think it will be a remarkable World Cup here if Australia host the World Cup."

Not sure I'd agree with that to be honest. Hypothetically even if we were securing regular WC qualification through Oceania, Asia would still present a far more attractive WC qualification process for us than Oceania. The chance to regularly play better quality opposition, the associated commercial benefits of playing higher profile matches and being part of a confederation with more 'relevance' than Oceania (no disrespect intended to the current OFC nations).

Yes we probably joined the AFC for the possibility of increasing our chances of WC qualification (granted the AFC are given more spots. Further to that - some have even suggested too many spots for a WC) but I doubt it was the sole reason we jumped to Asia. There are significant benefits to playing in Asia both from a national team and a domestic league perspective; which is ultimately (IMO) in the best interests of the code's development in Australia.

As for giving 'nothing' back. They don't need to look too far past how successful the Asian Cup has been here in Australia. It's on track to hit the 600k mark for match attendances - which would put it third as the highest total attendance at an Asian Cup tournament (behind China in 2004 and Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia in 2007).

Further to that, as the article you posted mentioned we're 5th in the entire confederation (despite having a relatively small population) for broadcast rights. From a playing perspective, you could argue it would also enhance the development of those nations to be playing matches against us; both in a competitive sense but also due to our style of play tending to be more physical and closer to the European nations.

How can you possible believe a word the corrupt half wits spout?

The worse thing about leaving Asian, would be the Asian champions league. Something the aleague was absolutely crying out for

How can you possible believe a word the corrupt half wits spout?

The worse thing about leaving Asian, would be the Asian champions league. Something the aleague was absolutely crying out for

While I do have concerns about the integrity of FIFA like most others, I think its a bit unfair to just assume every official is corrupt. On Alex Soosay specifically, admittedly I don't know a great deal about him but reading up on him, he seems like a decent administrator (former player/coach) and doesn't appear to have any black marks against his name.

Leaving the AFC would be a blow but I personally can't see it happening even if there are grumblings of discontent from a few nations.

The gulf nations, namely Bahrain/Kuwait/Saudi Arabia and the other oil countries have essentially been whining about Australia joining the AFC and trying to get us kicked out for the decade its been since we joined. It's nothing new here.

There's a big split noticeable to anyone between the East and the West, with Japan/China/Korea and Bahrain/Saudi Arabia/Kuwait.

The reality is that there's a higher chance of Oceania being absorbed by the AFC then of us being kicked out of AFC.

The arab countries should focus on improving their football teams rather then trying to buy their way into the world cup to get spanked 10-0 by the likes of Germany.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back