ASIA Cup 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Greeks do it BEST :p

That's right folks Troisi is Greek! :D

10960315_10205242392873899_8569734596581325241_o.jpg

Apparently Ange and his family arrived from Greece to Australia in the 70s on a boat.

A true immigrant success story ! :)

I think its brilliant that no one really considers Ange or any Socceroos player of ethnic/Mediterranean descent a Wily Old Gamer anymore, they are all considered dinki di Aussies like vegemite :)

Australian society/culture is growing up, and i couldn't be more proud !

Got into my car yesterday and tuned into ABC radio to listen to the final two minutes of the cup by the time I got to the end of the street I was cursing. Got to my destination and I was thumping the steering wheel in delight after the Socceroos scored a goal in extra time. Just before the movie I was seeing was about to start my friend told me we had won. Great news.

Hate to break it to you but all Troisi did was tap it in, Juric did all the heavy lifting ;)

That was some serious talent getting it past the 2 Sth Korean players where he was when he was on his backside twice.
What Troisi did was akin to knocking the ball in the hole from 3 inches..... :D :D

Absolutely. It's a shame he won't get the credit he deserves for it haha.
He's been getting plenty, he owed it to us though. Most of his efforts on the night were quite selfish apart from that one.

What a great result. Went to the City game last night and there was a great vibe in the crowd.

The game has come along way here.

Who would you take out of Eriksen or Luongo?
clear.png

Ericksen of course, but that's not a particularly relevant question. Selling Luongo and buying Ericksen were not mutually exclusive events.

Luongo has just announced himself on the international stage and absolutely looks capable of developing into a top player. IIRC he was fairly highly rated by some at Tottenham, yet they sold him to Swindon Town for 400,000 pounds - a sum which looks relatively small in comparison to what he could cost a club who now comes knocking. Yeah, I reckon they'd be kicking themselves for not keeping him on the books in some capacity.

He's showed something in 3 or 4 games in Australia. Wouldn't even be on Tottenham's radar.

If it was a smaller club like a Sunderland or Swansea or something I might agree. Even if Tottenham wanted him back, they'd just buy him.

He's made a big splash here but that doesn't mean much in England.

Great result for the game in this country.

I have said before I was never brought up on this game and didn't care much for it at all until my son got involved. I was interested in Ange's post game speech where he mentioned his love for the game and how he believes it is the best game in the world. I am not here to debate that but I am really happy for those who have passionately promoted this game in Australia and the hard work they have put in to make it popular and get it accepted.

I have seen over the last 4 years at club level the people who work their backsides off because they absolutely love the sport. The efforts they put in with the kids, the programs they put together and how much they would love to see it accepted. That is all, not for it to be bigger than AFL but just for people to respect the sport.

Big congratulations to the Socceroos but more importantly I hope this does pave the way for it to be seen as a sport in this country that people can unashamedly enjoy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great result for the game in this country.

I have said before I was never brought up on this game and didn't care much for it at all until my son got involved. I was interested in Ange's post game speech where he mentioned his love for the game and how he believes it is the best game in the world.

I have seen over the last 4 years at club level the people who work their backsides off because they absolutely love the sport. The efforts they put in with the kids, the programs they put together and how much they would love to see it accepted. That is all, not for it to be bigger than AFL but just for people to respect the sport..
I was the same TL. I only got interested in the game when my son started playing as a 7yo, 14 years ago. I couldn't believe the interest back then when 100 kids turned up to try out for 3 junior teams.

It gets a bit irritating at the small minded comparisons with the AFL brand and the dismissive comments by some of the Socceroos achievements in the Asian Cup.

I love Carlton and AFL footy, and I was rapt to see Socceroos win on Sat night and the upcoming talent in Luongo, Sainsbury, Ryan and others.

I was the same TL. I only got interested in the game when my son started playing as a 7yo, 14 years ago. I couldn't believe the interest back then when 100 kids turned up to try out for 3 junior teams.

It gets a bit irritating at the small minded comparisons with the AFL brand and the dismissive comments by some of the Socceroos achievements in the Asian Cup.

I love Carlton and AFL footy, and I was rapt to see Socceroos win on Sat night and the upcoming talent in Luongo, Sainsbury, Ryan and others.

Yeah I agree.

I have an enormous amount of respect for many of these guys who came to a foreign country with a love for a sport that had little respect yet they continued to work at it because they had a pure love for the game. Takes a lot of ticker to do that in the face of adversity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back