ASIAN CUP QUARTER FINALS THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC should look to absorb OFC, get Kazakhstan back & convince Egypt to join the AFC with their close ties to the middle east.
Egypt are a part of the African continent. The Middle-East are a part of Asia.

Egypt are a part of the African continent. The Middle-East are a part of Asia.

They are but a small part of Egypt is on the Asian continent and they have much closer ties to middle east (asia) than the rest of Africa. Plenty of benefits for Egypt (the Champions league is far better for example). Would strengthen AFC massively if they were convinced to join.

They are but a small part of Egypt is on the Asian continent and they have much closer ties to middle east (asia) than the rest of Africa.
They're officially part of the African continent. They can't be part of the AFC.

They're officially part of the African continent. They can't be part of the AFC.

There's nothing stopping any country from moving. Kazakhstan are officially part of the Asian continent and moved to Europe. Australia is not "part of the Asian continent".

With all the money involved in Asia I don't think it's impossible that Egypt are convinced to move confederations.

AFC should look to absorb OFC, get Kazakhstan back & convince Egypt to join the AFC with their close ties to the middle east.
If you absorb Egypt into the AFC then why not all of the other Maghrebi arab nations such as Libya, Algeria, Mauritania, Tunisia and Morocco? Just because North Africa was colonised by arabs during the early islamic invasions of and subsequent destruction of the Byzantine Empire doesn't make them any less part of the African continent today. Australia should be playing in Europe due to our ties with the UK otherwise.

Why did Kazakstan ever join UEFA?

Mostly so their clubs could play in the Europa league. Personally, I think they would be better off in AFC and could be convinced to return.

Imagine this Asian Cup if you replace Palestine, North Korea & Kuwait with Egypt / New Zealand & Kazakhstan. You'd then have 16 decent teams.

Mostly so their clubs could play in the Europa league. Personally, I think they would be better off in AFC and could be convinced to return.

Imagine this Asian Cup if you replace Palestine, North Korea & Kuwait with Egypt / New Zealand & Kazakhstan. You'd then have 16 decent teams.

Harsh on North Korea, they're decent, remember they qualified for South Africa 2010 finishing 2nd in their group. I reckon they'd be 50/50 with NZ and favourites over Kazakstan (unless they played in Astana).

If you absorb Egypt into the AFC then why not all of the other Maghrebi arab nations such as Libya, Algeria, Mauritania, Tunisia and Morocco? Just because North Africa was colonised by arabs during the early islamic invasions of the byzantine empire doesn't make them any less part of the African continent today. Australia should be playing in Europe due to our ties with the UK otherwise.

Part of Egypt is on the Asian continent. None of the other mentioned countries are part of the Asian continent.

If travel & time zones weren't an issue we probably would be playing in UEFA.

Part of Egypt is on the Asian continent. None of the other mentioned countries are part of the Asian continent.

If travel & time zones weren't an issue we probably would be playing in UEFA.
A very small part of Egypt (the Sinai) is and they only have the peninsula due to Israel giving it to them in a peace treaty. Spain have territory in Africa (Melilla and Ceuta), why aren't they considered for Africa? Outside of any political intransigence (Israel in Asia for example), tectonic plate boundaries should dictate what country plays in what confederation. Kazakhstan in UEFA for example is ridiculous. In terms of Oceania and Australia, they should be absorbed into Asia as a whole as part of the AAOFC (Asian Australian Oceania Football Confederation).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very small part of Egypt (the Sinai) is and they only have the peninsula due to Israel giving it to them in a peace treaty. Spain have territory in Africa (Melilla and Ceuta), why aren't they considered for Africa? Outside of any political intransigence (Israel in Asia for example), tectonic plate boundaries should dictate what country plays in what confederation.

If they wanted to join Africa they'd be accepted straight away. Spain would never leave UEFA though.

I believe French Guiana are part of North American confederation despite being located in South America.

If they wanted to join Africa they'd be accepted straight away. Spain would never leave UEFA though.

I believe French Guiana are part of North American confederation despite being located in South America.
Absolutely, as are Suriname. Why? I'm not sure.

At least we don't have a stupid scenario like in the NFL where the Dallas Cowboys play in the NFC East division despite being a city in Texas.

Uh, all three of them are ranked higher than NZ...

Absolutely, as are Suriname. Why? I'm not sure.

Don't forget Guyana. Plus the islands of Aruba and Trinidad & Tobago. They're just off Venezuela's coast.

Don't forget Guyana. Plus the islands of Aruba and Trinidad & Tobago. They're just off Venezuela's coast.
Absolutely, probably culturally these countries are closer to the Caribbean than South America. If we're deciding by culture though, Uzbekistan should be in Europe as are all of the Asian countries just south of the Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia etc.).

im azn looking (you can get confirmation too from SonOfReep and pantskyle ). but born here. ergo i consider myself australian.

where would you have us play?

asia is the closest thingo that provides us with good competition.

interestingly i had a similar conversation with a group of football fans recently too. 50% of them english. they reckon we should be playing in a new confederation made up of british commonwealth countries only. one of them even listed:

england
scotland
eire
wales
norf ireland
canada
new zealand

i asked about others like india, south africa, islands of the west indies, some of the african countries too. he wasnt too happy about that.

Is that so England might actually win something?

Yes but could you imagine Israel playing against AFC sides? There'd be major wars.

reckon theres already underlying tension between countries of the mid east. there always will be. but players have shown amazing respect of mutual nature this tournament

reckon theres already underlying tension between countries of the mid east. there always will be. but players have shown amazing respect of mutual nature this tournament

A fair few middle eastern/asian countries don't recognize Israel as a nation and don't let in anyone with an Israeli passport/anyone who's traveled to Israel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back