Skate/Surf/Extreme ASP World Tour

PastiesPeake

All Australian
Jul 14, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone catch the Teahupoo contest. Absolutely epic. Described as the best surfing contest of all time.

Most of the Aussie contigent in the running for the world title were knocked out early including Burrow, Parko and Mick.

Macca81

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Maylands
AFL Club
West Coast
the womens race for the world title is heating up. Really hoping Sally Fitzgibbons can take it out, despite Steph Gilmore being in great form and breathing down her neck

Macca81

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Maylands
AFL Club
West Coast
well it seems like the demographic that visits bigfooty doesnt cross over much with surfing lol. Anyway we have a trifecta in the womens world title race with Steph, Sally and Tyler all in contention with only 1 event left. And today Mick Fanning brought himself right back into world title contention and with just Pipeline to go there could be some exciting heats!

Anyone else watching?

PastiesPeake

All Australian
Jul 14, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone else watching?

Yep, I am all over it. What a season it has been. Perfect chance for Fanning to sneak in another title before J.J. Florence wins the next 20.

As for the ladies, well that's anyone's guess. I am on the Tyler Wright bandwagon this year. Just think she is a little more progressive than her rivals at the minute.

Pipe is going to be epic!!

frotherr_

Debutant
Mar 5, 2015
Phillip Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Football Club
How good was Pipe! Julian Wilson surfed insanely!
Disappointed today with Snapper being called off again but they're calling a swell is on the way so they extended the waiting period. What even is everyone most excited for? I froth off Bells, Trestles and Pipe.

PastiesPeake

All Australian
Jul 14, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Snapper is by far, the worst contest of the year (followed by Brazil). Never any waves.

I just hope there are waves at Margs this year

PastiesPeake

All Australian
Jul 14, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty underwhelming Bells so far. Hopefully Mick or Parko can ring the bell again.

The Brazillian contingent are looking the goods though with Telodo eliminating Slater.

PastiesPeake

All Australian
Jul 14, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He has done it!! White Lightning has won his 4th bells equaling Mark Richards and Slater as the most prolific winner of the bell.

Awesome final too. Scores tied, Fanning wins with the highest single wave score.

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
Snapper is by far, the worst contest of the year (followed by Brazil). Never any waves.

I just hope there are waves at Margs this year

Margies is pumping.

Great seeing Jay Davies absolutely shredding. I reckon he is a chance to go all the way especially if the finals are at the box.

PastiesPeake

All Australian
Jul 14, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This is the epitome of a surfing contest. The winner would have had to have tamed The Box, which was absolutely pumping as well as 20ft+ main break.

Big chance for Taj here, although JJ is still in it.

Pity to see the Brazillians running scared...

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
This is the epitome of a surfing contest. The winner would have had to have tamed The Box, which was absolutely pumping as well as 20ft+ main break.

Big chance for Taj here, although JJ is still in it.

Pity to see the Brazillians running scared...

John John's to lose here. Hope to see him win and get his world title run under way. Head and shoulders the best surfer in the world right now.

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
Pretty poor event usually.

Slater looked in great form last night. Medina my tip for the win though.

frotherr_

Debutant
Mar 5, 2015
Phillip Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Football Club
Whats wrong with Rio? Pumping beach breaks, insane atmosphere from the energetic crowd, the ASP World Tour pumping revenue into an underdeveloped country and helping people? I think its a great event, shows us progressive surfing as well as big wave surfing in heavy barrels. My tip is Toledo, Medina or De Souza. It'd be hard for a Brazilian not to win it considering all the support they're receiving. JJF too

Absolutely pumped for this one. Forecast looks epic!

Me too. I think there's six contestants who can mathematically win the world title. Interestingly, 3 of them are Australians and the other three are Brazilian. Obviously Mick Fanning is in the best spot seeing as he is currently the rank leader with the most points.

Pipeline always puts up a good show. I don't really want Medina to win it though.

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure if anyone else just watched that, but what a FKKN joke!
After fanning continually was matched up against much better surfers (while being seeded no.1), he still made the semi, scored a very good 7.5 barrel, only to be robbed of the world title and triple crown in the last 30 seconds by the bullshit judges, who scored a single air (with a poor messy landing) as a 6.5 on a 2ft wave to their golden child Medina.

After listening to the commentators bang on and on about the fact only barrels count at Pipe, they quickly changed their tune as soon as the score came in.. Does my head in how contradicting they can be to appease their bosses.

No doubt WSL was very keen on the world title going to Brazil, since it's by far their biggest growing market.

And just to demonstrate, once again, their ineptitude at doing basic mathematic calculations, it took 5 minutes before they also realised that due to their bullshit judges, that Medina has also won the triple crown.

God the whole thing is an armature operation. And even a poor one at that.

"You can't script this"?

I very much beg to differ.

Sue Ridgepipe

Debutant
Nov 9, 2015
Commode Abode
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Bull F1, EPL Spurs, NBA Spurs
I don't think I have ever been as gutted over the result of a sporting event than this.

Mick surfed rings around Adriano the entire ******* event and gets screwed by his unbelievably soft draw.

After everything Mick has been through this year, and the agony he must have endured during this event, his performance and the way he handled himself was nothing short of heroic.

Was a big fan before Pipe, now a devoted fan for life.

Back