Opinion Assistant coaches 2015 (and beyond...)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the entire club right now, what coach has any form of senior coaching experience in the AFL?

Walsh - nope
Campo - nope
Bickley - 5 games
Clarke - nope
Nobel - nope
Younie - nope
Milburn - nope

Now, lets look at Port.

Hinkley, Voss, and Peter Rohde has some. That's 3 people in their box who has coaches at senior AFL level before. Yet we have no one in the entire club.

That may not mean much to anyone else and may just look like another negative comment about the club but it means lot to me as it's just another indication of where this club is at and how far we have failed. I think we are viewed as a very poor destination to players and coaches and that will not help us.

I agree its somewhat of a concern, personally, from what I've gathered/heard in the media, I'd be quite interested in drafting in McCartney from the Bulldogs, by the sounds he struggled with the aspects of managing a full list, similar to Sando, however is supposedly really good at developing and working with some of the younger players and could provide some of that senior experience in the coaches box.

Personally, I actually like that Walsh has had the confidence to come out and say he doesn't need someone to hold his hand, it suggests that he actually feels ready for the gig and I think the fact that he has 15-20 years of coaching experience, at 3 different clubs for decent amounts of time, suggests he's probably right. Unlike Sanderson who played the majority of his career at 1 club, spent 1 year coaching at another club and went back to the club he played most of his career at. All he really knew was Geelong.

As soon as Bailey got suspended, we should have found someone to fill that role, we could then keep both when Bailey came back, IMO our coaching staff were grossly understaffed and under qualified compared to other coaching panels.

Was Rohde even in the box? He's the GM of football.

Half the clubs don't have any former head coaches in their box.

When Hawks appointed Clarkson, did they have any Head coach experience in the box?
What about Geelong?
What about Sydney?

I accept our box is extremely lacking in experience, but being a former head coach isn't the only way to bring that in.

OK im always wrong but the coaching panel will get a full clean out apart from campo IMO

What is peoples views on how far we will replace the coaching panel?

Question 2 can anyone tell me how we can recruit assistants from other clubs that are contracted? NBA if im correct can trade picks for coaches.

Sounds like there may be a few who are "discarded". Sounded like David Teague wasn't offered a new job by the Saints and he'll be coming aboard soon. ROK already in the bag? That'd round out the main line coaches if Milburn stays. Then next year you can get in early on finding a new ruck coach (Lade) and a new midfield coach if Campo doesn't cut it.

As for recruiting contracted assistants, I believe we can approach, but clubs don't usually release them unless it's for a head coaching gig (See Stuart Dew a year or so ago when he was going to get Goodwins gig).

Sounds like we're hanging out to announce the panel all at once.

I tend to agree that Bickley and Milburn will be gone, possibly Clarke too. By all reports Campo is staying, although I'm hoping he's shifted into more of a midfield development role, giving us a clean slate of line assistants, plus a senior assistant/tactical assistant, whatever you want to call it.

From what we've heard, it does sound like ROK and Teague have gigs, possibly Scott Burns too and I wouldn't mind grabbing one of McCartney or McKenna.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Rohde even in the box? He's the GM of football.

Half the clubs don't have any former head coaches in their box.

When Hawks appointed Clarkson, did they have any Head coach experience in the box?
What about Geelong?
What about Sydney?

I accept our box is extremely lacking in experience, but being a former head coach isn't the only way to bring that in.
Rhode has retired.

Apart from bomber Thompson, all other senior assistants are failed senior coaches. How many other teams with senior coaches have won a premiership in the last 5-8 years?
Are they really that much of an advantage?

Well Sauce has his own private coach in Clarke as we dont have another ruckman on our list......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back