Opinion Assistant coaches 2015 (and beyond...)

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
How come Bickley was smashed for it, then?

I did say theoretically. From my observations, our forwards exhibited terrible leading patterns, were constantly getting in each others way, and allowed the ball to escape our forward 50 far too easily. I believe those are things that reflect on their coaching.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I did say theoretically. From my observations, our forwards exhibited terrible leading patterns, were constantly getting in each others way, and allowed the ball to escape our forward 50 far too easily. I believe those are things that reflect on their coaching.
Yeah, that is true. Hopefully Teague can teach them the defensive side of being a forward, and will set up an actual structure. I certainly have faith in him, but unlike Walsh, I'm going to hold my praises and wait and see.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He has coached an entire team before - that adds to his skill set surely?
That certainly helps. Mind you, Sando has coached an entire team before, and he was lacking in all things tactical (and failed to encourage the assistants to organise forward/mid/backline set-ups).

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Huh? Where did Sando coach an entire team? He was an assistant in all of his previous roles.
What I'm suggesting is that just because Teague has coached a whole team before, it doesn't mean was - or will be - a great coach. Was he highly rated at the Northern Bullants?

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
What I'm suggesting is that just because Teague has coached a whole team before, it doesn't mean was - or will be - a great coach. Was he highly rated at the Northern Bullants?

Nothing is for certain however the it's certainly good experience to draw from

VKCrow

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I get what you mean. The theory is a coach who has spent a lot of time working with defensive patterns and tactics can then use that knowledge to teach forwards how to understand what the defenders are going to try and do to stop them. They can then utilise that knowledge to take the defenders to places where they are going to be more vulnerable and hopefully score easier against them.
In Walsh we trust.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is prefer to have a guy who is familiar with the forward role, however I also think we'll have Callinan and Podsiadly working as forward development coaches as well a lot of the time, which will hopefully make up for Teagues lack of experience.

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I anxiously await the negative responses to David Teague being our forwards coach!!!!

Didn't anyone do their research on him? He is a defender!!!! Only kicked 6 goals in 83 games!!!! What the hell is he doing coaching our forwards?!?!?!?!?

Apologies to all. This was a joke post. I don't care if a player was a forward or not. It was just that Bicks got absolutely smashed on this forum as our forward line coach because he was a midfielder at AFL level.

For what its worth I think Bickley was moved on from the Crows - not because he was a poor coach / poor forward coach but because he had been at our club for a very long time and was very influential. I think Walsh is better off starting fresh.

Those that criticize Bicks as a forward coach need to watch some of our forward movement in 2012 when we were properly structured up with Tippett/Walker.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Smack was interesting on 5aa last night. Endorsed Clarke but gave bickley a bit of a back hander in saying it was pods that taught him more about being a forward. Sort of said that bicks was not the right man to coach forwards.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems like Essendon has become a sacked coaches haven. Have now the following panel
Hird
Thompson
Craig
Harvey
Neeld

What are people's thoughts on this line up? Too many sacked coaches or a great depth of experience.

Our only additions have been Teague and ROK. Could we have done with some more experience or does that devalue Walsh's extensive CV.

I have no strong view either way, but interested in thoughts.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems like Essendon has become a sacked coaches haven. Have now the following panel
Hird
Thompson
Craig
Harvey
Neeld

What are people's thoughts on this line up? Too many sacked coaches or a great depth of experience.

Our only additions have been Teague and ROK. Could we have done with some more experience or does that devalue Walsh's extensive CV.

Is there a saying about too many sacked chefs?

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
Apologies to all. This was a joke post. I don't care if a player was a forward or not. It was just that Bicks got absolutely smashed on this forum as our forward line coach because he was a midfielder at AFL level.

For what its worth I think Bickley was moved on from the Crows - not because he was a poor coach / poor forward coach but because he had been at our club for a very long time and was very influential. I think Walsh is better off starting fresh.

Those that criticize Bicks as a forward coach need to watch some of our forward movement in 2012 when we were properly structured up with Tippett/Walker.

So our coaches don't deserve any criticism for not altering the gameplan to fit the players we had at our disposal?

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like it, all of these guys have been chosen to be a head coach at some point in their careers which shows they beat a number of other guys for that role. Now whilst some of them might have failed as head coaches, they've all head experience as assistant coaches in which they did very good jobs at prior to becoming head coaches and they're probably all better off for it as coaches with that experience.

Players are going to be getting plenty of advice from guys that know what the head coach wants given they've been in that role.

Only thing I can potentially see is a clash of personalities/ideas given you'd expect them all to be 'alpha dogs' in their own right. Again, could work very will given you'll have plenty of thinkers all thinking differently but it could also lead to some disagreements between the coaches at times.

SmegHead

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
So our coaches don't deserve any criticism for not altering the gameplan to fit the players we had at our disposal?

You'd think Bicks, after playing alongside high-marking forwards like Modra, DJarman and Burton; as well as quality crumbers like Liptak, Vardy and Bond would not go with a gameplan of "bomb it long on top of Eddie Betts" :)

I'm not as scathing of Bickley as others, but it's clear his time has come. Not many assistants would or should survive 3 coaches.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd think Bicks, after playing alongside high-marking forwards like Modra, DJarman and Burton; as well as quality crumbers like Liptak, Vardy and Bond would not go with a gameplan of "bomb it long on top of Eddie Betts" :)

I'm not as scathing of Bickley as others, but it's clear his time has come. Not many assistants would or should survive 3 coaches.

Matthew Liptak?

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just watched the assistant coaches press conferences. Teague looks like an odd character, not overly inspiring but I think Phil and himself will prove to be a good mix.

O'keefe had a great playing career but he's pretty young in terms of coaching experience. Not sure about him to be honest. Also just for the record Ryan it's 'resonated', not 'resignated' as he repeated a couple of times. Made me cringe a little bit, but just as long as he's a good communicator with the players then all is forgiven :p

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Hird
Thompson
Craig
Harvey
Neeld

Imo you need to create openings for new talent

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
O'keefe had a great playing career but he's pretty young in terms of coaching experience. Not sure about him to be honest. Also just for the record Ryan it's 'resonated', not 'resignated' as he repeated a couple of times. Made me cringe a little bit, but just as long as he's a good communicator with the players then all is forgiven :p

I think he's clipping his vowels. Not to worry, we'll get that weird NSW accent out of him soon.

Hird
Thompson
Craig
Harvey
Neeld

The Bombers team feels like the AFL equivalent of the Expendables. If they fire on all cylinders, I think it could be very good although this will be hard to know as performance will obviously be influenced by what doping sanctions are handed down.

I'm less concerned about Teague and ROK being relatively inexperienced, as I feel Walsh will be taking a strong role and overall responsibility for most coaching aspects.

Back