Opinion Assistant coaches 2015 (and beyond...)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was worried original rumours had is putting guys like O'Keefe in assistant coaching roles, as a development coach and assistant to the assistant it is fine and pretty much what most clubs do.

I like how quickly the message has changed.

From "contested footy" with Sanderson to "team-first" in a few weeks with Walsh.

Of course contested footy will still be important, but that small change of focus redefines a lot of things for the club.

ROK press conference was all about team and working as a unit. The whole list, every coach, every staff member.

Love it. Want to see it action.

From "contested footy" with Sanderson to "team-first" in a few weeks with Walsh.

Of course contested footy will still be important, but that small change of focus redefines a lot of things for the club.

ROK press conference was all about team and working as a unit. The whole list, every coach, every staff member.

Also happy to be rid of "sharp spike in improvement". Useless term. Elite habits and sustained performance much more attractive to the ear.

Very pleased to see O'Keefe as development coach. Seemed to really know his stuff in the presser, and he stands by Walsh's direction and values, too.

Says in a number of articles that he turned down coaching offers from other clubs to choose us, too. Looks like we're developing a much more appealing culture - like :thumbsu:

I was worried original rumours had is putting guys like O'Keefe in assistant coaching roles, as a development coach and assistant to the assistant it is fine and pretty much what most clubs do.

Truck has gone straight into a line assistant role

Just watched the assistant coaches press conferences. Teague looks like an odd character, not overly inspiring but I think Phil and himself will prove to be a good mix.

O'keefe had a great playing career but he's pretty young in terms of coaching experience. Not sure about him to be honest. Also just for the record Ryan it's 'resonated', not 'resignated' as he repeated a couple of times. Made me cringe a little bit, but just as long as he's a good communicator with the players then all is forgiven :p

O'Keefe is a development coach. I think he'll be great in that role. The guys striving to get into the senior side will lap up every word he has to say. He's come from one of the best and most respected clubs and he is known for having elite standards aiming to do everything perfectly.

He is the ideal man for a development role. If he does a good job at it and learns a lot he might get upgraded to an assistant coach role. Same path Francou has taken at Sydney.

I would have been worried if he came straight into assistant coaching role but I'm very happy with his role.

Truck has gone straight into a line assistant role

Thats true and it can work if the balance is right. I don't know who they've moved on, if any, but I think Richmond had a very experienced coaching group, also a fairly big one. I would think they are better balanced to carry a rookie coach than us.

Cmon man, I'm optimistic about the personnel changes but this is stock standard sporting rhetoric.

Excited to join this great organisation, talented team, have to train hard and work together to improve. Press conferences of incoming personnel follow a very tight script.

Seems like Essendon has become a sacked coaches haven. Have now the following panel
Hird
Thompson
Craig
Harvey
Neeld

What are people's thoughts on this line up? Too many sacked coaches or a great depth of experience.

Our only additions have been Teague and ROK. Could we have done with some more experience or does that devalue Walsh's extensive CV.

I have no strong view either way, but interested in thoughts.
Too many chiefs - will be chaos!

... but has Thompson agreed to stay on - doubt he will unless Hird is finally given the boot!

ROK looks weird in dark blue...

He practically spent all of last year as a playing development coach in the NEAFL teaching our young players and helping them progress. Time will tell how successful he will be at a new club and no longer focusing on trying to play senior footy.

Cmon man, I'm optimistic about the personnel changes but this is stock standard sporting rhetoric.

Excited to join this great organisation, talented team, have to train hard and work together to improve. Press conferences of incoming personnel follow a very tight script.

It doesn't seem stock standard rhetoric to me.

Ever since Walsh landed here everyone from the CEO to the new development coach has talked about team first football.

It may still be rhetoric but it does have a certain theme. I cant remember another club talking about a 'team-first' mentality so consistently.

No doubt they have been told to push that angle but I still cant see it as totally stock standard. Walsh has a defining philosophy, and its team first football.

Now we have to turn the script into a movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't seem stock standard rhetoric to me.

Ever since Walsh landed here everyone from the CEO to the new development coach has talked about team first football.

It may still be rhetoric but it does have a certain theme. I cant remember another club talking about a 'team-first' mentality so consistently.

No doubt they have been told to push that angle but I still cant see it as totally stock standard. Walsh has a defining philosophy, and its team first football.

Now we have to turn the script into a movie.
Very salient post.

The media in this city latch on to any quotes, and Rucci in particular will ride you with it forever - your words are your defining mark.

Sando never really got that and consequently lumped us with a swag of embarrassing and unwanted tags

The Sando spike
One kick from a GF
The top 4 team in 2013
The best midfield in the comp
A forward line the envy of the comp
Etc etc

From this point on we will only be defined as team first - hopefully

Apparently we offered the director of coaching role to Sumich. I know, Walsh said he doesn't want a senior assistant, but does anyone know if we are still pursuing someone for this role?

mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/peter-sumich-and-simon-lloyd-could-depart-fremantle-being-targeted-by-rival-afl-clubs/story-fndv8h5w-1227109306612

Very salient post.

The media in this city latch on to any quotes, and Rucci in particular will ride you with it forever - your words are your defining mark.

Sando never really got that and consequently lumped us with a swag of embarrassing and unwanted tags

The Sando spike
One kick from a GF
The top 4 team in 2013
The best midfield in the comp
A forward line the envy of the comp
Etc etc

From this point on we will only be defined as team first - hopefully

Not sure what was wrong with the Sando Spike.

He came in and took over a side that had finished 11th and 14th over the previous two years. In his first press conference he said that he expected a 'rapid return to form' and that the team would be vastly improve. He predicted a spike and he delivered.

I am not sure how a coach can be criticized for predicting a big increase in performance and then delivering this performance?

No matter what you say - the media will either turn any rhetoric against you (if you are losing) or use your rhetoric as an explanation as to why you are successful (if you are winning).

Agree 100%. 99% percent of new coaches are replacing an old coach that had very obvious flaws (hence they got sacked).

Its very easy to sound good at the incoming press conference. This is our new strategy and everyone loves it because its different and new is better.

Everyone loved what Ayres said after Shaw, what Craig said after Ayers, what Sando said after Craig.

The proof will be in the pudding.

So our coaches don't deserve any criticism for not altering the gameplan to fit the players we had at our disposal?

I don't care who you are. Sheedy, Malthouse, Blight combined couldn't have gotten our forwardline working in 2013.

In 2012 - Walker, Callinan and Tippo combined for 141 goals.

In 2013 - Walker and Tippett were replaced with a combination of Jenkins, SMack, Otten and Johnston. Callinan played 6 games for 8 goals.

It is absolutely impossible for a forwardline to replace two elite key forwards in the space of one preseason.

Agree 100%. 99% percent of new coaches are replacing an old coach that had very obvious flaws (hence they got sacked).

Its very easy to sound good at the incoming press conference. This is our new strategy and everyone loves it because its different and new is better.

Everyone loved what Ayres said after Shaw, what Craig said after Ayers, what Sando said after Craig.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Ayres replaced Blight ;) plus I can't say I ever remember liking what Ayres said.

Not sure what was wrong with the Sando Spike.

He came in and took over a side that had finished 11th and 14th over the previous two years. In his first press conference he said that he expected a 'rapid return to form' and that the team would be vastly improve. He predicted a spike and he delivered.

I am not sure how a coach can be criticized for predicting a big increase in performance and then delivering this performance?

No matter what you say - the media will either turn any rhetoric against you (if you are losing) or use your rhetoric as an explanation as to why you are successful (if you are winning).
The "spike" dosent speak to permanent change resulting in sustained success.

It's semantics I know, but right now the club line will be easier to deliver as it relates to establishment of the basics.

Agreed TexFactor ... the big difference I am hearing is nothing is related to results.

"Do you think the Crows will make the 8?", "Will there be a spike" - we respond with "We want to set elite standards and team-first attitudes".
Get the structure & processes right & the results should look after themselves...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back