Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 24, 2004
The Dom
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
HŠK Zrinjski Mostar
I seriously believe this bloke's not up to AFL standard, I'd rather have a Jake Batchelor in his place who at least has a red hot go for you and he's got a big strong body plus he can bash and crash bigger opponents than himself whereas Astbury to me seems to be a clumsy type of player under pressure who doesn't have the size nor the strength to out muscle much bigger opponents.

Batchelor has done very little at his time with the RFC.

His perceived efforts are now reaching mythic proportions; feels like the cult of Hird in some respects!

Batchelor would be a gun half back flanker if he got the opportunity imo, good kick, good runner and good hands. Not a player you'd want to play in a one on one

Not sure he'll get the opportunity with us as there are heaps ahead of him for that role. We'll probably part ways

Batchelor does nothing of the sort. Astbury is miles ahead of him - 7cm taller and about 14kgs heavier.
Yes is Astbury is taller but not much heavier 87 kilos to 92 kilos not 14 kilos difference.

Rance, Chaplin, FRAWLEY, Grimes, Morris and Houli.

Now that's a good backline assuming Grimes can stay fit and gets to his best.
Not paying extreme overs for a guy who has done nothing in years. I'd rather back Astbury who has been good lately.

Not paying extreme overs for a guy who has done nothing in years. I'd rather back Astbury who has been good lately.

Think you are underestimating him. You try playing your best football at that shambles club.

And who said anything at paying overs. Frawley is a free agent he could choose success over money.

Batchelor 188cm & 88kg
Astbury 195cm & 95kg

Tell me again how Batchelor has the big strong body and Astbury doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Astbury is currently playing his best football, allowing grimes to take all the time he needs to recover. He has deserved his spot on his form, yet there are still haters.
Some people will just never be satisfied??
He was very disappointing first round but I'm still willing to give him few rounds to prove himself, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Batchelor 188cm & 88kg
Astbury 195cm & 95kg

Astbury just looks skinier because he is taller. Those extra 7kg would be in height and not muscle. Hence why he looks leaner.

Batchelor 188cm & 88kg
Astbury 195cm & 95kg

Batchelor has a bigger frame for his size that's why he can bash and crash, astbury looks underweight to me for his height and body type.

Astbury made a couple of mistakes, he was most certainly not alone, but he also had some fantastic moments and for me was better than Rance and Chappy.
One of them cost us a goal and wasn't he the one against melbourne that kicked the ground instead of the ball which resulted in turnover and also a goal?

If we're focusing on NAB Challenge then can I bring up how he was one of the BOG against Essendon?
Didn't really get to see him play that game due to the poor telecast that day but you'll see what I mean as the season progresses. I'll will be watching him very closely on thursday night.

I would be lining Astbury up against Rance or Chappy rather than Batch.
Different types etc...

I have a % in me that believes given a fair run as a genuine HBF, Batchelor can be part of a finals winning back-line.

We are still tinkering with our backline and the insistence to blood youngsters like Ellis and Vlastuin along with the folly of Martin going back there has IMO disrupted the opportunity to settle on a line-up.

Astbury is currently playing his best football, allowing grimes to take all the time he needs to recover. He has deserved his spot on his form, yet there are still haters.
Some people will just never be satisfied??

Astbury's "best football" is still below the level required.

In saying that I'm not sure there's many other options right not unless Grimes is fit. That's always a bit if.

I would be lining Astbury up against Rance or Chappy rather than Batch.
Different types etc...

I have a % in me that believes given a fair run as a genuine HBF, Batchelor can be part of a finals winning back-line.

We are still tinkering with our backline and the insistence to blood youngsters like Ellis and Vlastuin along with the folly of Martin going back there has IMO disrupted the opportunity to settle on a line-up.

As a few guys have mentioned in this thread so far, Batch could actually be a very good player of the HBF if given the chance. The problem has been that he is always played out of position, always having to man a KPP. Sometimes that has worked but others he has been butchered by a much larger opponent.
Anyway on the topic of Astbury, I am not his biggest fan but the club do rate him so he must be doing something right. Until Grimes is fit I am happy for him to be playing and show he is a capable AFL footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back