Astbury

Remove this Banner Ad

He certainly didn't look intimidated by cloke and pretty much wore him like a second skin. I'm very much starting to see why the coaches wanted to persist with David. Good on him ,it's been a long road for him & Griff. Great to see !!

One of our best this year. Has gotten a lot stronger

Yep Mt06.. what is he 23ish? Give him this year and another preseason (no major injuries) and watch him start to monster some of the games KPF....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is amazing how players like this got overlooked time and time again... When he hits his 50 game mark, which should be the end of this season, he will be on his way to becoming one of the better KPD's in the AFL. Maybe not a superstar but a player capable of containing the games big forwards, and ruckman.

It is amazing how players like this got overlooked time and time again... When he hits his 50 game mark, which should be the end of this season, he will be on his way to becoming one of the better KPD's in the AFL. Maybe not a superstar but a player capable of containing the games big forwards, and ruckman.
To be fair we wanted to play him, hence no 12, but injury has restricted him.

I know that Cloke is out of form so some will downplay Astbury's effort on the weekend, but we haven't had a key defender with such strength in the contest for bloody ages. The fact he was (more than) breaking even in the clinches against Cloke, who I rate as pretty much the strongest forward in the comp was fantastic to see.

I can't wait for Rance to return because between these two I reckon we have an answer to every key forward in the comp.

I know that Cloke is out of form so some will downplay Astbury's effort on the weekend, but we haven't had a key defender with such strength in the contest for bloody ages. The fact he was (more than) breaking even in the clinches against Cloke, who I rate as pretty much the strongest forward in the comp was fantastic to see.

I can't wait for Rance to return because between these two I reckon we have an answer to every key forward in the comp.
Cloke was out of form last year too. :p Astbury was great. Only issue will be whether there is a match-up for him each week. Should be ok if our team defence is better against sides like the Dogs. Can't wait to see him take out Petrie.

Yep agree TT ... I posted something similar a few weeks back & said I thought the club was grooming David as the the man to fill Chappy's shoes but bigger stronger type of backline general...Fingers crossed for David (injury wise) :thumbsu:

Cloke was out of form last year too. :p Astbury was great. Only issue will be whether there is a match-up for him each week. Should be ok if our team defence is better against sides like the Dogs. Can't wait to see him take out Petrie.

Spot on.

Rance has done an outstanding job on some of the comp's best forwards (Buddy, Pav, Goodes, N.Riewoldt etc) but looks lost on some of the genuine man-mountains (Cloke, Petrie, hell even Kosi and Hampson in the past). The fact that every team is resting their rucks forward at the moment means I don't think Dave will ever be short an opponent.

The backline is beginning to look a bit more balanced.

We just need to get back to the point where Chaplin doesn't need to be accountable and can start playing decent footy again. :p

Fair dos. I've been into him about his pace for a long time. And I think it's still a problem. But, gee, after seeing Cloke murder us a few times in the past, it's nice to see us having a gur big enough to stand him.

I think there may be games when there isn't a match-up for him - in those cases the coaching panel have to see if they want to still play him - he gets burnt when the ball hits the ground.

But, yes, play him on Hawkins, Daniher, Tippett - the big lumps. Not on Riewoldt, Darling, Pav or anybody who moves.

Fair dos. I've been into him about his pace for a long time. And I think it's still a problem. But, gee, after seeing Cloke murder us a few times in the past, it's nice to see us having a gur big enough to stand him.

I think there may be games when there isn't a match-up for him - in those cases the coaching panel have to see if they want to still play him - he gets burnt when the ball hits the ground.

But, yes, play him on Hawkins, Daniher, Tippett - the big lumps. Not on Riewoldt, Darling, Pav or anybody who moves.
I think his speed will get better as he completes more preseasons of which he hasn't done.

he is the defender to take the strong monsters we have been looking for. Rance for the more agile forwards like reiwoldt, astbury for the slowe stronger ones like cloke

:thumbsu:.....Agree !!I could see the club playing both David & Rancer together or swaping them in the key role depending on the KPF match up or bringing in a smaller flank when David is not quick enough to go with the smaller half forward. But I think Alex can defenately play the half back for speed and nearly always out mark his opponent as well as be the 3rd man up to help David if necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back