Asus Gaming Rig-Scorptec.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha you're not the only one to suggest water cooling.:p But yeah I am considering it since it took me longer than it should have to swap the parts over, ****in CPU cooler is a bitch to put on plus one of the screws is stuck to the cooler which made it fun in the reinstall process.

In terms of temps I am finding it great, atm on idle i am sitting on an average of 24C and when I stress test it I only see a max of ~55C.
prime?

Anyone delidding their Ivy/Haswell cpu for 20deg celcius lower temps? ;)

Don't know if I'd have the balls or not......

Hardcore? Definitely!

Basically forcefully removing the copper IHS (integrated Heat Spreader) off the chip to replace the el-cheapo TIM Intel use. This was changed after Sandy as a cost cutting measure to replace the thermally superior fluxless soldering for Sandy's IHS.

Tools required:
Razorblade or hammer and vice.

images

Anyone delidding their Ivy/Haswell cpu for 20deg celcius lower temps? ;)

Don't know if I'd have the balls or not......

Hardcore? Definitely!

Basically forcefully removing the copper IHS (integrated Heat Spreader) off the chip to replace the el-cheapo TIM Intel use. This was changed after Sandy as a cost cutting measure to replace the thermally superior fluxless soldering for Sandy's IHS.

Tools required:
Razorblade or hammer and vice.

images
nope. Never...not game enough. But i sit on 4.6hz and never go above 65c anyway.

Mmm not at the moment. Maybe in a few years.

I have been modding the BIOS on my GTX 670, trying to get it to boost higher clocks.

Mmm not at the moment. Maybe in a few years.

I have been modding the BIOS on my GTX 670, trying to get it to boost higher clocks.
what have you been getting? both of mine sit happily at 1241hz. Bios is another thing I am loathe to mess with if there is no problems.

what have you been getting? both of mine sit happily at 1241hz. Bios is another thing I am loathe to mess with if there is no problems.
Well so far I've managed to get it stable at 1215.0MHz from 1094.5MHz (stock boost) using GPU-Z rendering test, Metro 2033 benchmark and 3DMark11 benchmark tools.

Well so far I've managed to get it stable at 1215.0MHz from 1094.5MHz (stock boost) using GPU-Z rendering test, Metro 2033 benchmark and 3DMark11 benchmark tools.
1215 is good. Anything over 1200 is good. It's the silicon lottery. Every GPU is slightly diiferent. I've seen people with 670's over 1300 stock cooling. At these levels we get small FPS improvements per 13hz we go up. What 670 do you have?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

buhump..whats doing? Anyone made good on their threats? With the 700 models from NVIDIA, and the middle finger 200(x) series from AMD, I was keen to see we y'all are at?. I looked long and hard at the 780 for a while, but the 670 sli kept money in my pocket. Then AMD released the 280x, and my fingers loosened a little. Intel 4000 models..damn, can't i just enjoy a computer for 6 months? Phew..back catalogue of games keeps me true.

My current fav, Dead Space 3. Yes, it's a port, but, do a little digging, and settings, and it looks like this..

deadspace3_2013_10_30_16_58_34_422.jpg

yeah..love technology. pS4 can kiss it.

No upgrades for me. Only just got back into gaming and haven't had any issues yet.

TF2 runs great, Dota2 runs great, next up L4D2 as I just picked it up from the steam Halloween sale.

I'm sure I'll get to the more intensive stuff and I'll start to feel the age of my system.

i3 2225, 8GB 1866 GSkill, 768MB GTX460, Asus z77 mobo.

I think not having a 1GB+ vid card is what will slow me down. Then I'll upgrade to i5/i7 some day if the cpu gives me trouble.

I wasn't planning on any major upgrades anytime soon, but I think I've made a horrible mistake in purchasing Battlefield 4 :eek:

I've gotta wait a couple of days for my internet to roll over before I finish downloading it, but it sounds like it kills most PCs. With any luck I'll be able to get by with another 8gb ram and some CPU overclocking.

i5-2500k, 8gb, SLI 560ti's

So far so good :thumbsu: Thought it was thrashing my machine at first, but it turns out there are some ******* shocking servers out there, and you really need the latest video drivers.

I'm all updated but still having crashes after 10 mins or so. It all seems like a bit of a lottery ATM. Also, BF4 is better on W8.1 and if you have an i7, turning off hyperthreading will help, but that is just stuff I have read, i haven't tried it. By what I have read DICE have tried to make it lower PC friendly, but in doing so, have made high end PC's a bit gimpy, Just have to keep patching and waiting for stability.

buhump..whats doing? Anyone made good on their threats? With the 700 models from NVIDIA, and the middle finger 200(x) series from AMD, I was keen to see we y'all are at?. I looked long and hard at the 780 for a while, but the 670 sli kept money in my pocket. Then AMD released the 280x, and my fingers loosened a little. Intel 4000 models..damn, can't i just enjoy a computer for 6 months? Phew..back catalogue of games keeps me true.

Been eying off a video card upgrade for a few months, keep holding off from pulling the trigger. I had a GTX 460 in my old pc, whacked in a GTX 560Ti in the computer i built at Scorptec (i would have gone with a 680 or Titan back then but i wanted to make the pc cost $1,000 less lol).

Last few months i've gone from considering the GTX Titan, 680, 670. When the 700 series came out i then reconsidered a 670 (because of the price reduction), but ultimately thought i could have peace of mind, make up a video card fund and put some $$ away each week and buy the time i build up enough money, it won't feel like i have wasted $700 in one hit (technically i still am, but if i put aside money for it, instead of blowing it instantly i feel better haha).

With the 780Ti coming out soon i'll be looking at buying one within the next month (depending on stock levels of course).

I found a good trick too for those playing BF 4 with muti core. I used this:
http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

and it forces your cpu to use all it's core all the time. I tried it and just did 20 mins flawless online. It's a clean link and easy to use. You can also enable parking once your finished, but it requires a cold start every time you use it.

Been eying off a video card upgrade for a few months, keep holding off from pulling the trigger. I had a GTX 460 in my old pc, whacked in a GTX 560Ti in the computer i built at Scorptec (i would have gone with a 680 or Titan back then but i wanted to make the pc cost $1,000 less lol).

Last few months i've gone from considering the GTX Titan, 680, 670. When the 700 series came out i then reconsidered a 670 (because of the price reduction), but ultimately thought i could have peace of mind, make up a video card fund and put some $$ away each week and buy the time i build up enough money, it won't feel like i have wasted $700 in one hit (technically i still am, but if i put aside money for it, instead of blowing it instantly i feel better haha).

With the 780Ti coming out soon i'll be looking at buying one within the next month (depending on stock levels of course).
i considered a 780 and with the prices coming down, it is tempting, but a 670 sli actually outperforms a single 780, ATM anyway. If i had 2 gb cards I may have already jumped but with 4 gb, no need just yet. When i see 780ti for sub 600 AU$, i will sli 2!

Is there any point to SLI two cards when i'd only be using a single monitor ?

I've done the dual monitor setup previously at work and home, it's nice to an extent but i'm more comfortable using a single monitor. At the resolution i game at (either 1152 x 720 or 1280 x 720) there's probably not much point in buying the most powerful video card now when a slightly lower model would be fine for someone like me. But in a "punches chest" kind of way i want the most FPS possible in games regardless of the resolution i play on.

The case i have (Fractal R3) is cramped enough as it is, adding a second card the temperature would run through the roof lol.

I've done the dual monitor setup previously at work and home, it's nice to an extent but i'm more comfortable using a single monitor. At the resolution i game at (either 1152 x 720 or 1280 x 720) there's probably not much point in buying the most powerful video card now when a slightly lower model would be fine for someone like me. But in a "punches chest" kind of way i want the most FPS possible in games regardless of the resolution i play on.

The case i have (Fractal R3) is cramped enough as it is, adding a second card the temperature would run through the roof lol.

Yep, it's a very effective way of significantly increasing your performance. The cards are linked via a bridge inside the PC so it's completely unrelated to the number of monitors you have. I picked up a 2nd hand 560ti ($100) a few months ago and the difference has been massive.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_560_ti_sli_review,5.html

I've done the dual monitor setup previously at work and home, it's nice to an extent but i'm more comfortable using a single monitor. At the resolution i game at (either 1152 x 720 or 1280 x 720, c'mon son.) there's probably not much point in buying the most powerful video card now when a slightly lower model would be fine for someone like me. But in a "punches chest" kind of way i want the most FPS possible in games regardless of the resolution i play on.

i have a single 2560x1440p and the extra vram is needed, sli has nothing to do with the number of monitors.. T 1080p, probably not needed, but 1080p with is sli is still worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back