Asylum seekers and other political discussion (from Reza thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

People are labelled misogynists for criticizing a woman in power who has performed poorly. Strangely enough , people are never accused of being man haters when they criticize a male politician. People are branded racists when they support a view on Asylum seekers contrary to the populist "we should allow everyone who is seeking asylum into the bosom of our nation" This is not accurate, fair or helpful. It is the most common form of response when any politically correct issue is being discussed. It is cowardly and wrong. Use arguments to defeat an opposing point of view-not labels and personal abuse.

I think people had problems with the Tea Party right wing crazies who Abbott was happy to associate himself with. If the British Labor Party stood in front of such signs when Thatcher was in power, you could bet your bottom dollar the tabloids would have gone apoplectic about thugs.

GillardWitch.jpg

Her performance shits all over almost every developed nation too in terms of surviving the GFC, just for the record.

GDP.jpg
People are branded racists when they make ridiculous sweeping statements which have no basis other than conjecture. What's cowardly and weak are people who can't support their stupid views other than to simply state they're true.

Last edited:
Just a point of accuracy, mandatory detention was established under the Keating Labor government in 1992.
Also those on boats are economic refugees not asylum seekers as they are not being persecuted in Indonesia but do not want to wait in a refugee camp to be relocated
Accuracy? Indonesia is not a signatory to the Human Rights Convention and therefore are not a refuge point for asylum seekers. As for your ridiculous generalization that these people are economic refuges, well, that just isn't backed up by facts! http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...y/pubs/BN/2012-2013/AsylumFacts#_Toc348096470

I think people had problems with the Tea Party right wing crazies who Abbott was happy to associate himself with. If the British Labor Party stood in front of such signs when Thatcher was in power, you could bet your bottom dollar the tabloids would have gone apoplectic about thugs.

View attachment 56055

Her performance shits all over almost every developed nation too in terms of surviving the GFC, just for the record.

View attachment 56057
People are branded racists when they make ridiculous sweeping statements which have no basis other than conjecture. What's cowardly and weak are people who can't support their stupid views other than to simply state they're true.

Sigh. Julia Gillard lied, broke promises and viciously attacked her opponents-just like most politicians do. The difference is that when she was criticised for doing these things the critics were immediately branded women haters or red- necked misogynists. This is clearly a sick double standard. No-one has ever shut down criticism of a male politician on the grounds that it is simply male hatred driving the criticism.This myth that floats about with regard to the abuse of Gillard being worse than anything any male politician has had to endure is simply and outrageously untrue.Tony Abbott has been vilified in a far more vicious manner -not only by the lunatic fringe in our society, but by mainstream media.

As we speak students walk around our leading universities with F..k Tony Abbott emblazoned across their shirts. No eyebrows are raised in protest. These tshirts and the slogan were devised and produced by a leading journalist at The Age and the sale of the shirts was promoted in The Age. Take your blinkers off and tell me what would happen if Andrew Bolt designed a tshirt saying F..K Julia Gillard and promoted its sale in the Herald Sun? There would be outraged articles on the promotion of rape culture, hatred of women and the White Ribbon Brigade would send in their spokesmen and women to remind us all how much we hate and revile women...blah blah. This is one small example of the hypocrisy I refer to.

I might add I have been a dyed in the wool ALP man all of my life until the last election. I chanted "We Want Gough!" at a rally in Box Hill, I proudly wore my "It's Time" tshirt and voted labor every time. I have no agenda. I simply hate hypocrisy.

As for the signs about Gillard. If you seriously believe that Abbott, Bronwyn Bishop and the other female polly whose name escapes me knew that those placards were being held up behind him then you are deluded. It clearly provided a golden opportunity for the ALP and media to sidetrack the issues, play victim and focus on the derogatory posters-which is exactly what happened. What politician would not foresee this outcome and therefore circumvent it? There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands. I would personally find that far more offensive than being called a witch or bitch. I don't doubt that they didn't know what the placards behind them said either-where is the positive outcome for the party by supporting such abuse?

To praise Gillard's performance (Didn't Rudd handle the GFC before he was stabbed in the back by Gillard?) is strange given the fact that her own cabinet members and ministers (Carr comes to mind) thought she was a disaster driven by ego and self interest. She was dumped by her own party on the eve of the election for recording some of the lowest levels of support in the ALP's history. Wow-such impressive credentials. She also did a backflip and instituted most of the Asylum seeker policies you now find so repugnant. I also note that not one of her loyal feminist sisters stepped down in protest after she was dumped.

Abbott spends time living with the indigenous people in the Northern territory every year and has done so for many years. He has three beautiful daughters and a successful marriage with a loving supportive wife. To brand him a racist or woman hater( as so many do) is simply ridiculous and rather childish.

Your graph is irrelevant. Please explain to me in the simplest language why any government would choose to commit political suicide by implementing so many unpopular cuts and taxes if it was really unnecessary? What is their motivation? I thought clinging to power was the number one objective of every government. Perhaps Abbott and Hockey are simply more honourable and altruistic than their labor counterparts.

Last edited:

Sigh. Julia Gillard lied, broke promises and viciously attacked her opponents-just like most politicians do. The difference is that when she was criticised for doing these things the critics were immediately branded women haters or red- necked misogynists. This is clearly a sick double standard. No-one has ever shut down criticism of a male politician on the grounds that it is simply male hatred driving the criticism.This myth that floats about with regard to the abuse of Gillard being worse than anything any male politician has had to endure is simply and outrageously untrue.Tony Abbott has been vilified in a far more vicious manner -not only by the lunatic fringe in our society, but by mainstream media.

As we speak students walk around our leading universities with F..k Tony Abbott emblazoned across their shirts. No eyebrows are raised in protest. These tshirts and the slogan were devised and produced by a leading journalist at The Age and the sale of the shirts was promoted in The Age. Take your blinkers off and tell me what would happen if Andrew Bolt designed a tshirt saying F..K Julia Gillard and promoted its sale in the Herald Sun? There would be outraged articles on the promotion of rape culture, hatred of women and the White Ribbon Brigade would send in their spokesmen and women to remind us all how much we hate and revile women...blah blah. This is one small example of the hypocrisy I refer to.

I might add I have been a dyed in the wool ALP man all of my life until the last election. I chanted "We Want Gough!" at a rally in Box Hill, I proudly wore my "It's Time" tshirt and voted labor every time. I have no agenda. I simply hate hypocrisy.

As for the signs about Gillard. If you seriously believe that Abbott, Bronwyn Bishop and the other female polly whose name escapes me knew that those placards were being held up behind him then you are deluded. It clearly provided a golden opportunity for the ALP and media to sidetrack the issues, play victim and focus on the derogatory posters-which is exactly what happened. What politician would not foresee this outcome and therefore circumvent it? There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands. I would personally find that far more offensive than being called a witch or bitch. I don't doubt that they didn't know what the placards behind them said either-where is the positive outcome for the party by supporting such abuse?

To praise Gillard's performance (Didn't Rudd handle the GFC before he was stabbed in the back by Gillard?) is strange given the fact that her own cabinet members and ministers (Carr comes to mind) thought she was a disaster driven by ego and self interest. She was dumped by her own party on the eve of the election for recording some of the lowest levels of support in the ALP's history. Wow-such impressive credentials. She also did a backflip and instituted most of the Asylum seeker policies you now find so repugnant. I also note that not one of her loyal feminist sisters stepped down in protest after she was dumped.

Abbott spends time living with the indigenous people in the Northern territory every year and has done so for many years. He has three beautiful daughters and a successful marriage with a loving supportive wife. To brand him a racist or woman hater is simply ridiculous and rather childish.

As was your character assassination of Julia Gillard. Taking personal attacks out of the picture I don't think Old Spice was wrong to be concerned about the Tea Party element creeping into conservative politics and the influence of groups such as the IPA.

As was your character assassination of Julia Gillard. Taking personal attacks out of the picture I don't think Old Spice was wrong to be concerned about the Tea Party element creeping into conservative politics and the influence of groups such as the IPA.

Please quote any words I wrote which could be considered a character assassination that are not used every day of the week by journalists and the general public when assessing a politician's standing? If I said anything which is untrue with regard to Gillard, please point it out and I will apologise. What about responding to the many points I raised and supported with concrete examples rather than (once again) throwing out accusations.

There are a number of unsavory elements behind the scenes and pulling the strings in the Labor party too-does that element concern you?

This thread was created to hold posts moved across from 'The Club - Reza' thread on the main Collingwood board. Apologies if some of the logic and flow of the posts and responses has been lost in the move.

Last edited:

I'm no Labor lover, but the abuse levelled at Gillard was the worst I've experienced (even greater than Gough copped from Murdoch leading up to and subsequent to the dismissal). Abbott was given a free run by the press leading up to the election and still is (FFS have you read any of Mark Kenny's slavish adulation of Tones in the Fairfax press).
Former Liberal and now extremely entertaining blogger Andrew Elder is all over the pathetic media's "political reporting" (jmac70 and Old Spice might like this)
http://andrewelder.blogspot.com.au

Please quote any words I wrote which could be considered a character assassination that are not used every day of the week by journalists and the general public when assessing a politician's standing? If I said anything which is untrue with regard to Gillard, please point it out and I will apologise. What about responding to the many points I raised and supported with concrete examples rather than (once again) throwing out accusations.

There are a number of unsavory elements behind the scenes and pulling the strings in the Labor party too-does that element concern you?
ROFL Re-read your post!
Please provide links to the following:
1/There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands
2/Tony Abbott has been vilified in a far more vicious manner -not only by the lunatic fringe in our society, but by mainstream media. MSM/Alan Jones/Andrew Bolt et al
3/ the fact that her own cabinet members and ministers (Carr comes to mind) thought she was a disaster driven by ego and self interest.
4/As we speak students walk around our leading universities with F..k Tony Abbott emblazoned across their shirts. No eyebrows are raised in protest. These tshirts and the slogan were devised and produced by a leading journalist at The Age and the sale of the shirts was promoted in The Age. (I hope you aren't going to use Andrew Bolt as a reliable source!)

I could go on.

You criticize her government when in the second term she achieved AAA credit ratings, sustained economic growth despite the global downturn and kept our national debt down to be the third lowest in the OECD.

What are these broken Gillard promises, name them for me.

Please. You are equating students with placards on one day with Andrew Bolt who has a daily column in the most popular daily? You defend this idiot who said hardly anyone suffered from Chernobyl?

Abbott spends time living with the indigenous people in the Northern territory every year and has done so for many years. He has three beautiful daughters and a successful marriage with a loving supportive wife. To brand him a racist or woman hater( as so many do) is simply ridiculous and rather childish.

Your graph is irrelevant. Please explain to me in the simplest language why any government would choose to commit political suicide by implementing so many unpopular cuts and taxes if it was really unnecessary? What is their motivation? I thought clinging to power was the number one objective of every government. Perhaps Abbott and Hockey are simply more honourable and altruistic than their labor counterparts.

"There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands", "Abbott spends time living with the indigenous people", "I might add I have been a dyed in the wool ALP man". How much bullshit do you want to speak?

What are these broken Gillard promises, name them for me.

Please. You are equating students with placards on one day with Andrew Bolt who has a daily column in the most popular daily? You defend this idiot who said hardly anyone suffered from Chernobyl?

"There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands", "Abbott spends time living with the indigenous people", "I might add I have been a dyed in the wool ALP man". How much bullshit do you want to speak?

Some of Gillard's Broken promises. A quick google provided what you could have easily found if you wanted to.

Gillard LIES, LIES and tells more LIES

Ten days before the last Federal Election, Julia Gillard visited Rooty Hill and spoke to the people of Western Sydney about the promises she said were “at the heart of this election campaign”.

Two and a half years later, Julia Gillard is back in Western Sydney and she needs to explain how she got it so wrong!

As the people of Western Sydney already know, Julia Gillard says one thing before an election and then does another thing after it. Julia Gillard needs to apologise to the people of Western Sydney for the 18 promises she made in Rooty Hill and then broke.

1) Julia Gillard promised to consult on climate change and instead delivered a carbon tax.
2) Julia Gillard guaranteed a budget surplus and instead delivered more huge deficits.
3) Julia Gillard promised less debt and now we have a record $160 billion in net debt.
4) Julia Gillard promised jobs and national unemployment is now 60,000 higher than when she made the speech.
5) Julia Gillard promised to cut company tax. After the election, she scrapped the tax cut.
6) Julia Gillard promised to give an early company tax cut to small business and she scrapped that tax cut too.
7) Julia Gillard promised to give $2.1 billion for a transport link in Western Sydney (the Epping to Parramatta rail link) and now won’t provide the money for transport in Sydney.
8) Julia Gillard promised to build an NBN – over two years later, hardly anyone in Western Sydney has it and no one knows when it will be finished or what it will cost.
9) Julia Gillard promised to build 2650 Trades Training Centres in Schools – and 2409 of them have not been built.
10) Julia Gillard promised cash rewards for schools that improve and has not yet paid a cent.
11) Julia Gillard promised to keep giving children in schools computers and has since walked away from the computers in schools program.
12) Julia Gillard promised to introduce a mining tax to help pay for a company tax cut. The mining tax and the company tax cut are now in tatters.
13) Julia Gillard promised to pay bonuses to good school teachers. Not a cent has yet been paid to teachers.
14) Julia Gillard promised an automatic tax deduction of $1000. Another broken promise.
15) Julia Gillard promised to ease cost of living pressures on Western Sydney households and instead introduced a carbon tax and cut the private health insurance rebate.
16) Julia Gillard promised more money in your superannuation and instead has taken out $8 billion in Labor super taxes.
17) Julia Gillard promised to build more GP super clinics. She’s delivered only one of the 28 promised.
18) Julia Gillard said she was cutting waiting list times, but instead they have increased.

She also broke a promise to Andrew Wilkes:
JULIA GILLARD is understood to have backed away from her promise to introduce a mandatory pre-commitment scheme for using poker machines.
The Prime Minister has told the anti-pokies independent, Andrew Wilkie, she will not support an alternative proposal, backed by the senator Nick Xenophon, for maximum bet limits of $1.

Sources close to Mr Wilkie told the Herald Ms Gillard revealed the backdown in a meeting on Sunday. He is said to be ''stunned'' by her decision and is considering whether to continue to support the government.

Juliar Gillard's word is not worth anything, and keeps her promises only if forced to.

Some of Gillard's Broken promises. A quick google provided what you could have easily found if you wanted to.

Gillard LIES, LIES and tells more LIES

Ten days before the last Federal Election, Julia Gillard visited Rooty Hill and spoke to the people of Western Sydney about the promises she said were “at the heart of this election campaign”.

Two and a half years later, Julia Gillard is back in Western Sydney and she needs to explain how she got it so wrong!

As the people of Western Sydney already know, Julia Gillard says one thing before an election and then does another thing after it. Julia Gillard needs to apologise to the people of Western Sydney for the 18 promises she made in Rooty Hill and then broke.

1) Julia Gillard promised to consult on climate change and instead delivered a carbon tax.
2) Julia Gillard guaranteed a budget surplus and instead delivered more huge deficits.
3) Julia Gillard promised less debt and now we have a record $160 billion in net debt.
4) Julia Gillard promised jobs and national unemployment is now 60,000 higher than when she made the speech.
5) Julia Gillard promised to cut company tax. After the election, she scrapped the tax cut.
6) Julia Gillard promised to give an early company tax cut to small business and she scrapped that tax cut too.
7) Julia Gillard promised to give $2.1 billion for a transport link in Western Sydney (the Epping to Parramatta rail link) and now won’t provide the money for transport in Sydney.
8) Julia Gillard promised to build an NBN – over two years later, hardly anyone in Western Sydney has it and no one knows when it will be finished or what it will cost.
9) Julia Gillard promised to build 2650 Trades Training Centres in Schools – and 2409 of them have not been built.
10) Julia Gillard promised cash rewards for schools that improve and has not yet paid a cent.
11) Julia Gillard promised to keep giving children in schools computers and has since walked away from the computers in schools program.
12) Julia Gillard promised to introduce a mining tax to help pay for a company tax cut. The mining tax and the company tax cut are now in tatters.
13) Julia Gillard promised to pay bonuses to good school teachers. Not a cent has yet been paid to teachers.
14) Julia Gillard promised an automatic tax deduction of $1000. Another broken promise.
15) Julia Gillard promised to ease cost of living pressures on Western Sydney households and instead introduced a carbon tax and cut the private health insurance rebate.
16) Julia Gillard promised more money in your superannuation and instead has taken out $8 billion in Labor super taxes.
17) Julia Gillard promised to build more GP super clinics. She’s delivered only one of the 28 promised.
18) Julia Gillard said she was cutting waiting list times, but instead they have increased.

She also broke a promise to Andrew Wilkes:
JULIA GILLARD is understood to have backed away from her promise to introduce a mandatory pre-commitment scheme for using poker machines.
The Prime Minister has told the anti-pokies independent, Andrew Wilkie, she will not support an alternative proposal, backed by the senator Nick Xenophon, for maximum bet limits of $1.

Sources close to Mr Wilkie told the Herald Ms Gillard revealed the backdown in a meeting on Sunday. He is said to be ''stunned'' by her decision and is considering whether to continue to support the government.

Juliar Gillard's word is not worth anything, and keeps her promises only if forced to.

Are you having a pull mate, honestly?

Come back to us when you have quotes, not the random dross from some malcontents webpage.

As for your casual dismissal of students carrying placards or wearing shirts with foul abusive slogans or threats of violence against Abbott-you are once again ignoring my point. If students had walked around campus wearing shirts which said derogatory things about Gillard it would have been front page news, with our leading feminists screeching "misogynists!" and explaining how this is all proof of our hatred and disdain for women in power. Only a blind bigot would deny this truth. We have all the evidence required to prove this very point. There has been no outrage expressed about the vile abuse directed at Abbott other than that expressed by the man you brand an idiot. Yet whole books have been written on the "unprecedented abuse of Gillard" It makes a former leftie want to weep.

As for you suggesting I am lying about my past allegiances- I'll say it again. Labor ALL of my life until the last election. A once proud owner of ALP tshirts and a classic green "It's TIme" tshirt. I loved that song sung by all the tv celebs. Do you know it?

Unlike you I don't support a political party like I support my footy team. That would be childish and ignorant. I judge people on their merits. I was delighted when Gillard replaced Rudd. I was even more delighted when she was stabbed in the back by Bill Shorten. My changed loyalties had everything to do with her lies and her many disastrous policies and nothing to do with her gender.

Can I ask you why her own party dumped her if she had performed as admirably as you seem to believe? It makes no sense.

Are you having a pull mate, honestly?

Come back to us when you have quotes, not the random dross from some malcontents webpage.

Refute them. Tear apart whatever has been invented by a malcontent. Where is this malcontent wrong?

How about, "There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead." That's a good starting point.

Throw in her complete backflip on the pokies promise with Andrew Wilkes. Another broken promise which apparently "stunned" Wilkes.

I hope Julia doesn't get into hot water over that slush fund scandal that is currently before a Royal Commission. A women of the highest integrity is our Julia!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROFL Re-read your post!
Please provide links to the following:
1/There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands
2/Tony Abbott has been vilified in a far more vicious manner -not only by the lunatic fringe in our society, but by mainstream media. MSM/Alan Jones/Andrew Bolt et al
3/ the fact that her own cabinet members and ministers (Carr comes to mind) thought she was a disaster driven by ego and self interest.
4/As we speak students walk around our leading universities with F..k Tony Abbott emblazoned across their shirts. No eyebrows are raised in protest. These tshirts and the slogan were devised and produced by a leading journalist at The Age and the sale of the shirts was promoted in The Age. (I hope you aren't going to use Andrew Bolt as a reliable source!)

I could go on.

You criticize her government when in the second term she achieved AAA credit ratings, sustained economic growth despite the global downturn and kept our national debt down to be the third lowest in the OECD.

http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/the_meeting_place/7521
FAbbott.gif

Carr says Gillard was selfish to cling to Labor leadership
Mr Carr, who switched his support to Kevin Rudd just before the leadership ballot which ousted Ms Gillard, says Ms Gillard was selfish to cling to the Labor leadership for as long as she did.

Photo: Bob Carr switched his support to Kevin Rudd just before the leadership ballot which ousted Julia Gillard (AAP: Alan Porritt)

"Before the final leadership challenge I thought if someone had presented me with appalling [polling] figures about the state government in New South Wales [when Mr Carr was premier of that state] that said you're now a significant barrier to the government's re-election, I would've said, 'look fine, I've done my best, it ain't working, I'll pull out', and apart from anything else I won't be the one indicted with the responsibility on the Sunday after [the] election," he said.

"We all wanted Julia to work. Even after my disagreement in October/November 2012 on matters relating to Palestinian status and the Middle East, I was still committed to her.

"But by the time we decided in our wisdom as a cabinet to go to war with the newspapers, I thought the very viability of social democracy in Australia, of a viable Australian Labor Party, was now at stake.

"So with some reluctance and with respect for her, but real doubts about her political judgement, I moved into the Rudd camp."

F..K Abbott Shirts
According to the Age, profits from columnist Clementine Ford’s Abbott-hating t-shirts would be donated to needy organisations:
The T-shirts are ethically produced, printed in Melbourne and Ford is going to direct profits to towards just three organisations that she says will be worse off under an Abbott government: The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, The Aboriginal Legal Service and The Council for Single Mothers and Their Children. Note: not a “portion” of profits. Not a “percentage” of profits. Just profits – by implication, all of them. But Ford herself now writes:
This is for all the pro-Abbott folks out there who hate my t-shirts. I’ve made around $4500 in profit in two days … Some profits going to charity though! The Age didn’t run any such qualification in its free ad for Ford’s ethical garments. How much might “some” be? Two-thirds? Half? A quarter? Try even lower. At her t-shirt sales site, charitable Clementine has lately added this:
UPDATE: Due to the success of the project, I’ve chosen to direct part of the profits to three organisations who’ll suffer under Abbott’s government. At least 20% of all profit So, from profits to date, that’s a lousy $300 each to the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, the Aboriginal Legal Service and the Council for Single Mothers and Their Children, while privileged Clementine pockets a handy $3600 – including, no doubt, some cash from gullible buyers who believed the Age‘s line about profit donations.
UPDATE. Fairfax’s free ad, as it originally appeared:
As an antidote to the crushing reality of Post-Abbott world she’s created some cathartic t-shirts with slogans that include (NSFW)‘F**k Abbott’ and (SFW) ‘Abbott is not my Prime Minister’ that can bought online. That promotion has since been stealthily edited:
As an antidote to the crushing reality of a Post-Abbott world she’s created some cathartic T-shirts with slogans

I'll provide more when I have the time. I'm off to bed.

And only Julia received abuse in her time in power. Unprecedented wasn't it? Proof of our hatred of powerful women.

Other reporters, notably the West Australian’s correspondent, Andrew Probyn, sneered and lectured such rude locals. Former ACTU boss Greg Combet was shocked, I tell you, shocked:
Climate Change Minister Greg Combet later told parliament that Mr Abbott should be ashamed to associate himself with the sentiments on display.

“The decision by the leader of the opposition to associate himself with the placards we saw today, the messages that have been provided and the groups that have participated, is unbefitting of the leader of a major political party in this country,” he said.

It was as if Combet had never seen the 1996 ACTU demonstration in Canberra against the Howard Government’s workplace laws, in which unionist fought police and smashed their way into Parliament House.

It was as if no one had ever seen rude signs and anger at a rally before, or nasty things said about a Prime Minister. It was as if Brown and Combet and that great army of Left-leaning reporters had never seen, say, these anti-Howard protests:

how4_thumb.jpg

how8_thumb.jpg

how5_thumb.jpg

how1_thumb.jpg

how3_thumb.jpg

how7_thumb.jpg

And then there was the Howard stripper booked for a birthday party for Bob Hawke,

And never - not once - did Bob Brown feel moved to write a letter of apology to anyone. Rarely did Canberra journalists let the extremists of all those protests I’ve picture dominate their coverage or characterisation of a protest.

Hypocrites.

UPDATE

Did anyone on Channel 9, whose political reporters are now tut-tutting over the word “bitch”, protest at this riper word that their own organisation had put in the mouth of “John Howard”?

What about this-at an official ALP function?

Or this on ABC tv?

Then there’s been the calls - on a Facebook page created from an office at the Geelong Trades Hall - for Abbott to be assassinated:
kill11d_thumb.png

There was the banner at the same-sex marriage rally in Brisbane showing Abbott being hanged:

hacfng_thumb.jpg

Much of the abuse of Abbott is brutal, threatening, crude ... and too often licensed by the Leftist media:

Abbott hadn’t even been sworn in before a new Facebook site - “Tony Abbott - Worst PM in Australian History” - savaged him as “a misogynist, sexist, homophobic pr---, a bully, a racist, a liar ...”. It has 170,000 “likes"…

The ABC’s Q & A website left up a tweet about performing a sexual act on Abbott and The Drum vilified him as a religious bigot who denied evolution and wanted to “score points against the ‘feminazis’ and ‘NTTAWWTs’ “.

Meanwhile, Catherine Deveny, a Guardian writer, boasted on Twitter how her teenage son hated Abbott, and published a photograph of his profanity-strewed poster.

And there’s the inevitable Leftist extremist, hounding Abbott in the streets shouting violent abuse:

Had these things been done to Julia Gillard, would we have heard the end of it? If media organisations do not rein in this violent hatred, will they inspire deeds they will one dark day claim to bitterly regret?

But if nothing else, let’s just end that self-serving and self-pitying myth of the Left:

Anne Summers was one of many Gillard enthusiasts who claimed no prime minister had suffered such abuse:

It is ironic that this should be the case, given the initial rapture that greeted Gillard’s elevation to the top job, yet there can be no doubting that Australia’s first woman prime minister has had to endure levels of vitriol never before seen in federal politics.
John McTernan, Gillard’s communications director, ran with that victim story of unprecedented abuse:

Gillard has faced serial abuse as a woman on a scale I believe is unprecedented in modern politics. I know that the phrase “The Iron Lady” was coined by the Russians as an insult to Margaret Thatcher, but it became a mark of their admiration. That negative, corrosive, anti-woman rhetoric that Gillard endured for so long has damaged Australian politics, and public opinion.

Nothing, but nothing that Gillard ever faced comes close to the vitriol and abuse now being hurled by the Left at Abbott.

But how silent the media is now that the target is a Liberal.

Good night.

Last edited:
I was more talking about the welter of facts about Gillard. There were 18 you listed. I hope you didn't waste too much time on that T-Shirt project as an old Labor man. And btw I love that 'F*ck Tony Abbott' T-shirt, thanks for digging it up for me.

I didn't need Gillard to tell me that Abbott didn't consider females to be equal to males. Too obvious.

re the signs behind Abbott, when he first started speaking they weren't there, the signs moved in behind him however they did make for a great shot for the media. Further he did not to disassociate himself from them.

History will show that Gillard was a better PM than this muppet will ever be.

associate himself with the sentiments on display.

Carr says Gillard was selfish to cling to Labor leadership
Mr Carr, who switched his support to Kevin Rudd just before the leadership ballot which ousted Ms Gillard, says Ms Gillard was selfish to cling to the Labor leadership for as long as she did.

Photo: Bob Carr switched his support to Kevin Rudd just before the leadership ballot which ousted Julia Gillard (AAP: Alan Porritt)

"Before the final leadership challenge I thought if someone had presented me with appalling [polling] figures about the state government in New South Wales [when Mr Carr was premier of that state] that said you're now a significant barrier to the government's re-election, I would've said, 'look fine, I've done my best, it ain't working, I'll pull out', and apart from anything else I won't be the one indicted with the responsibility on the Sunday after [the] election," he said.

"We all wanted Julia to work. Even after my disagreement in October/November 2012 on matters relating to Palestinian status and the Middle East, I was still committed to her.

"But by the time we decided in our wisdom as a cabinet to go to war with the newspapers, I thought the very viability of social democracy in Australia, of a viable Australian Labor Party, was now at stake.

"So with some reluctance and with respect for her, but real doubts about her political judgement, I moved into the Rudd camp."
kill11d_thumb.png

Good night.

1/There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands Where are these politicians?
3/ the fact that her own cabinet members and ministers (Carr comes to mind) thought she was a disaster driven by ego and self interest. Again I ask who are all these ministers and cabinet members who said she was a disaster
4/As we speak students walk around our leading universities with F..k Tony Abbott emblazoned across their shirts. No eyebrows are raised in protest. These tshirts and the slogan were devised and produced by a leading journalist at The Age and the sale of the shirts was promoted in The Age. (I hope you aren't going to use Andrew Bolt as a reliable source!)ROFL You used Andrew Bolt!

PS The $160 billion debt figure is a fantasy. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-06/has-the-government-doubled-the-budget-deficit/5423392

1/There are photos of Labor politicians standing in front of placards branding Howard and Nazi and child killer with blood on his hands Where are these politicians?
3/ the fact that her own cabinet members and ministers (Carr comes to mind) thought she was a disaster driven by ego and self interest. Again I ask who are all these ministers and cabinet members who said she was a disaster
4/As we speak students walk around our leading universities with F..k Tony Abbott emblazoned across their shirts. No eyebrows are raised in protest. These tshirts and the slogan were devised and produced by a leading journalist at The Age and the sale of the shirts was promoted in The Age. (I hope you aren't going to use Andrew Bolt as a reliable source!)ROFL You used Andrew Bolt!

PS The $160 billion debt figure is a fantasy. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-06/has-the-government-doubled-the-budget-deficit/5423392

You can't refute FACTS based upon the person who presents them That is insane. Prove the facts wrong. I may hate a person but if they tell me Monday is a day of the week, I can't dismiss their statement. :rolleyes:

The list of demands is shrinking by the day. Anything to say about the wealth of information I have provided? I would suggest that a logical deduction to be made from the fact that Gillard was dumped by her own party in favour of another dumped hack was that they thought she was a disaster about to lead them to electoral annihilation. Perhaps you think it was because they hated red heads or they are all closet misogynists-even the women. Care to provide a reason? I provided proof of Carr's claims. Any comment? I gave you countless examples of the vicious abuse meted out to conservative male politicians-far worse than anything Gillard endured. Any comments?

Hilarious-you have the nerve to provide a link from the rabidly pro left ABC as a source and deride my use of Bolt. That's funny.

Last edited:
I didn't need Gillard to tell me that Abbott didn't consider females to be equal to males. Too obvious.

re the signs behind Abbott, when he first started speaking they weren't there, the signs moved in behind him however they did make for a great shot for the media. Further he did not to disassociate himself from them.

History will show that Gillard was a better PM than this muppet will ever be.

My lord-you are in denial. She was an absolute disaster. She had the good will of the whole country behind her when she became PM. We were so misogynistic that we even ignored the fact that she knifed Rudd in the back to gain that position and then lied and lied about having any knowledge of a move against Rudd. Even the great Bob Hawke was mercilessly grilled over his knifing of Bill Hayden She had pages devoted to her ascendancy in The Age and Herald Sun. She had a 20 page pictorial in the Women's Weekly. Everything was in her favour. Fast forward a couple of years-she is polling the lowest levels in the party's history, presides over the most divided, hate filled party in memory and is dumped by her own party because they fear political annihilation.

If history remembers her kindly, history has dementia.

I was more talking about the welter of facts about Gillard. There were 18 you listed. I hope you didn't waste too much time on that T-Shirt project as an old Labor man. And btw I love that 'F*ck Tony Abbott' T-shirt, thanks for digging it up for me.

Why don't you just post a pic of someone waving a white flag? That's what you done. You proved my point too! ;)

My lord-you are in denial. She was an absolute disaster. She had the good will of the whole country behind her when she became PM. We were so misogynistic that we even ignored the fact that she knifed Rudd in the back to gain that position and then lied and lied about having any knowledge of a move against Rudd. Even the great Bob Hawke was mercilessly grilled over his knifing of Bill Hayden She had pages devoted to her ascendancy in The Age and Herald Sun. She had a 20 page pictorial in the Women's Weekly. Everything was in her favour. Fast forward a couple of years-she is polling the lowest levels in the party's history, presides over the most divided, hate filled party in memory and is dumped by her own party because they fear political annihilation.

If history remembers her kindly, history has dementia.
Seems Murdoch has you fooled.

Why didn't Bob Brown apologise for standing in front of these vile posters suggesting The Libs were the "Killing party" and that we don't know what really happened on 9/11. More lefty hypocrisy!

5 April 2011
55322-16x9-340x191.jpg

Banners, BDS, and Bob Brown's hypocrisy
319 Comments

Glenn Milne

On July 1 the Greens assume the balance of power in the Senate in their own right, and as each day passes, Bob Brown and the Greens are being treated more and more as a conventional political party – one at the heart of power in the Gillard minority government - rather than a saintly social movement.

The scrutiny will get tougher after a photograph surfaced showing Bob Brown addressing an anti-Iraq war rally framed by a protester wielding a banner promoting an anti-Semitic website which promotes the idea that 9/11 was a Jewish-US plot to harden global opinion against the Arab world.

On his other side is another poster which declares: “Lib-Nats: Coalition of the Killing”. Under normal circumstances, Brown could be forgiven for claiming to be ignorant of these inflammatory signs. Except that these are not normal circumstances. After the heat of ‘Bitchgate’ Brown is open to a charge of rank hypocrisy.

When Tony Abbott recently appeared at a Parliament House anti-carbon tax rally with a placard held behind him describing Julia Gillard as “Bob Brown’s Bitch” – a reference to the fact Brown’s support props up the Labor Government - Brown climbed aboard his high horse. With much fanfare the Greens Leader wrote to the Prime Minister taking it upon himself to apologise on behalf of Green voters for the signage and to demand that the Opposition Leader also apologise.

The League of Rights and Pauline Hanson also attended the anti-carbon tax rally. A fact which Gillard then used to mount a sustained attack on Abbott accusing him of consorting with “racist” and “sexist” as well as “extreme” elements dwelling on the fringes of society.

Well, how else now to describe Brown’s fellow travellers?

Take the whatreallyhappened.com “Thought of the Day” for April 4; "As for the final result of the Messianic revolution it will always be the same... the nations will be converted to Judaism and will obey the law, or else they will be destroyed, and the Jews will be the masters of the world." (G. Batault, Le probleme juif, p. 135; The Secret Powers Behind Revolution, by Vicomte Leon de Poncins, pp. 203204)

Or this: “As the Arab revolutions continue throughout North Africa and the Middle East, Attorney and Author Jeff Gates has explained the Zionist-Mossad war on our consciousness.”

The site also records a “flash mob” in downtown Chicago in the following terms: “The demonstration was organised to mark the Boycott Divestment and Sanctions Global Day of Action, an annual event designed to call attention to the movement to boycott the apartheid policies of Israel. Demonstrators performed an original song called 'BDS', a parody of 'ABC' by the Jackson Five.”

“BDS” is precisely the movement NSW Green senator elect Lee Rhiannon has publicly backed in comments to the New Matilda website in the wake of the anti-Israeli controversy that helped sink the Greens candidate in Marrickville, Fiona Byrne.

And then there’s this virulent doozy on the “whatreallyhappened” website:

One of the main objectives… World Zionism wanted to achieve from 9/11 was to convince the American people that the enemies of Israel, namely the Arabs & Islamic nations, are also the enemies of the United States and that Israel and the US have essentially the same interests. The purpose was of course to convince Americans to go to war against the Muslims who were to be blamed for the attack and scapegoated for this Jewish crime. This would benefit Israel a great deal, as well as the international Jewish bankers who thrive off of wars and conflicts. This is how the parasite moves the host in the direction it wants, a direction which provides the parasite with none of the work and none of the risk, but all of the benefit. You can see this Jewish agenda being played out clearly in the mainstream media broadcasts on the very day of 9/11 and in the weeks that followed.

Oh yes, And there’s also the absurd claim that Israel has provided Moamar Gaddafi with “50,000 mercenaries”. Bizarrely these racist conspiratorial rants are interspersed with ads for herbal teas and, tonics, and would you believe it, solar panels! Apparently these along with truly vicious views of Israel and Jews are standard fare for Greens supporters.

Choice company for Bob Brown to be keeping on a public platform. But that’s the problem when your own party embraces extreme anti-Israel policies.

Now, Coalition Senate Leader, Eric Abetz has written to Brown, demanding he apologise in the same way he demanded Abbott do.

Here’s something of what he wrote to Brown:

Dear Senator Brown,

Recently my attention was drawn to your letter, in which you apologised to Prime Minister Gillard – “on behalf of the many people of Australia who think differently” - for the wording on some banners at the recent No Carbon Tax rally - and in which you also said you hoped Mr Abbott apologised.

In following this issue my attention has also been drawn to footage of you speaking at a 2003 anti-war rally, in which you stood, in almost the same spot as Mr Abbott, in front of banners, which said:

• Libs/Nats – Coalition of the Killing
  • Why? – whatreallyhappened.com
This latter banner promotes a particularly repugnant, conspiracist, anti-Semitic website – which argues that the September 11 terrorist attacks were a US-Israeli conspiracy. Moreover, the banner clearly suggests that the reason for the invasion of Iraq can be found at this website.

The subject headings on this website give you the drift – US Government Treason, Fake Terror, Lie of the Century, Waco, JFK, Killing Jesus’ Family.

But not even this can distract from whatreallyhappened.com’s vile anti-Semitism, categorised under such headings as Israel’s whores in Congress.

My concern about your apparent association with these sorts of vile and loopy ideas has only increased since your statement and vote against a motion in the Senate on Wednesday which acknowledged that Israel is a legitimate and democratic state and a good friend of Australia and denounced the boycott of Israel by Marrickville Council and which condemned any expansion of it.

In this connection I note an aap report today that, at a media conference in Sydney’s Inner West today, the NSW Greens have denied the Greens support a boycott of Israeli products (beyond that adopted by Marrickville Council).

This is totally implausible given your position, and that of senator-elect Lee Rhiannon, who at the NSW Greens’ state conference in December 2010 pushed through a proposal for Australians and the Australian Government to:

“Boycott Israeli goods, trading and military arrangements, and sporting, cultural and academic events as a contribution to the struggle to end Israel’s occupation and colonisation of Palestinian territory, the siege of Gaza and imprisonment of 1.5 million people and Israel’s institution of a system of apartheid.”

In conclusion - notwithstanding the effluxion of time – it would be hypocritical of you not to apologise and publicly disassociate yourself from this appalling banner and also from the NSW Greens’ “wacko” attempts to impose boycotts against Israel.

Yours sincerely,

Eric Abetz.

Abetz is following through too. When Parliament resumes he plans to again put to the Senate the motion condemning the Greens Marrickville Council for embracing a boycott of Israel. It will be identical to the one referred to in his letter; put to the Upper House by Liberal Senator Mitch Fifield on March 23 at the height of the NSW election campaign.

Then Brown insisted that the Green’s opposition to the motion be explicitly recorded in the Hansard record.

It will be interesting to see how he responds this time around. An apology for his hypocrisy concerning Abbott and his association with explicitly anti-Semitic groups and a reversal of his opposition to the condemnation of the Marrickville Greens extreme position would be appropriate.

Glenn Milne has been covering Canberra politics for more than two decades.

What in the world can I post that wouldn't have you come back bleating? Better to let you spill your ill-informed opinion than get into slagging match.

You can bow to the facts and say you got it wrong. You could respond in a logical, coherent manner to the many points I have raised. I provided reasons for my belief and the belief of many others that she was a disaster. Were any of them false?

Any way-Go Pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back