At the bar with Spitta2Azza & Marksup (Phillyroo #482)

Remove this Banner Ad

SPITTA2AZZA

MU: Where and when did it start for you and AFL or Football in general? What are your earliest memories and why North Melbourne?

S2A: Well, my first memory of AFL can be traced back to sitting high up in the stands at the MCG with my dad and brother watching North Melbourne play Essendon. I think it was either 1999 or 2000, I was only four or five. I couldn't see any of the action being so small, so all I had was the unbelievable crowd noise. I remember getting told to boo every time an Essendon player got the ball, but I didn't know when that was seeing as I couldn't see, so I was just booing on sporadic occasions.

We went into the North Melbourne changerooms after the game. Dad knows Anthony Stevens well (coached him as a youngster) so we were able to get in. I remember getting lifted onto Stevo's shoulders and them signing my jumper.

Despite all this, I had no real interest in footy until dad signed me up to participate in the footy tipping competition at his work. Every week he would come home, call me into the kitchen and read out each game for the round and I would tell him my preference. There were two rules: I could never pick Carlton, and I always picked North.

We went to another game in 2002, I think it was the Blues against North at Etihad. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I guess that's where the interest started to really spark. The next year I started collecting footy cards and stickers that came out with the Herald Sun. There was no bigger buzz than waking up in the morning and checking the new set of cards that dad had brought home from work while getting ready for school. I would re-read my sticker book over and over, studying the eight or nine players that were featured for every team. I was amazed to learn that there were actually many more players on the team than those lucky enough to be featured on the stickers.

Why did I choose North Melbourne? Well,I didn't have a choice. Dad's a lifelong member, so it was ingrained in me. He always wanted to have a kid that shared that connection to our great game. My sister wasn't interested, and my brother got into it big time for a little while but quickly discovered other interests. I remember there was a contest with the aforementioned playing cards where the winner would win a signed jumper of their favourite team. I won, and by chance North were sending a couple of players to my school for a football clinic, so they brought the jumper to me and I got my photo taken with them in the local newspaper. I think the players were Ash Watson and Hugh Foote.

I honestly can't picture my life without football, so I have owe a lot to my old man.

MU: Wow interesting. I'm intrigued to know how your dad reacted to the Carey-Stevens saga since he had the connection to Anthony?

Also compare your feelings to the limited success we've had while you've actually followed North compared to watching and researching the history of the 90's and 70's? I bet your hanging out for us to hold up that cup again, as we all are?

S2A: To be honest I don't really know that much, I'm sure my dad would've contacted him and just let him know that he was there for him. I've spoken to Stevo many times in the past few years, even went out for lunch with him last year, and it has never been brought up.

Seeing as my support of North didn't really kick start until 2003/2004 or so, I haven't gotten use to our team being that successful. There was an Elimination Final in 2005 that I didn't even watch for some reason or another, and I think I was a bit naive when we made the Preliminary in 2007, thinking it would happen again the year after or so. I now realise how bloody hard it is to win a premiership, they don't come around very often, look at fans of the Saints and Doggies. Reading about the glory days in the 90s and 70s on here and from my dad telling me makes me very jealous of what they got to experience, and I just crave that feeling so much. The vision of Andrew Swallow and Brad Scott holding the cup aloft is something I have daydreamed about constantly.

MU: How did you enjoy this year then? Finally some success during your reign as a supporter. Were you at the two finals we won? Describe both the nights and the emotions you felt.

S2A: This year was up and down. Normally I would only get to go to two or three games per season, but I moved to Melbourne this time last year and thus upgraded my membership. I went to every game in Melbourne bar Round 3 against Port Adelaide, Round 10 against Geelong and Round 23 against Melbourne, as well as making a trip to Canberra to watch them play the Giants.

I thoroughly enjoyed being able to attend the footy most weeks, but did I enjoy the actual games themselves? Hmm. Round 1 was a disaster, had seats in the front row and everything. Round 2 was almost cringeworthy to watch. Missed the win against the Power which would've been exhilarating. Saw us get done by the Magpies at the 'G, watched us lose to the Suns, and saw us beat the Lions in a very poor game which lacked energy.

It got better after the halfway mark of the season. The Richmond game was excellent after half time, I loved watching Ben Brown make his debut against Melbourne, and the Hawthorn win was ******* sensational. However, those two losses against Carlton and the Cats in Rounds 18 and 19 really dampered my spirits. I kind of didn't care what happened after that. I was just so sick of us being so inconsistent and losing games we really should have won.

The trip to Canberra was good for me. Watching the boys play at an interstate venue made me connect with the team a bit better, and then we ended up going into the finals with four wins on the trot. I bought my ticket to the Elimination Final against Essendon on the Monday, and I think I was sick almost every morning and night in the lead-up to it with nerves.

I had work on the Saturday morning, so I was a bit edgy to say the least! Bought some drinks to enjoy while I watched the final quarter or so of the Sydney v Fremantle game that afternoon. Made the trip to the MCG with a dozen or so North supporters on the train, and we were just bouncing with nervous energy. I've never really been to the MCG that much, always gone to Etihad, but walking from Richmond station towards that stadium that night was just unbelievable.

That feeling was pretty much gone at half time of the game. I was cursing the team, and had to go outside and compose myself. Nearly contemplated just walking away and hopping on the train to go home, so poorly were we playing. I don't want that to reflect badly on me as a supporter, but gee it messes with your mind when you make the finals and then kick two goals in the first half against your bitter rival.

Went back in though, found my seat close to the first row behind the goals next to the Essendon cheersquad, and waited to watch our slow and painful death. How I came to be dancing and singing in the aisles about an hour later I still don't know, it was like a blur. I don't remember Ben Brown kicking four goals, I don't remember Drew Petrie kicking two clutch goals in 30 seconds right in front of me, but I do remember hugging every single North supporter in my vicinity and chanting 'Hearts to Hearts' on my walk back to the train station. I was completely buzzing that night. I called my dad in disbelief who was watching on the TV back home, we gave each other a quick rundown of the night like we do after every game, who we thought the better players were etc.

I'd go as far as saying it was the best night of my life. For a week anyway. Purchased my ticket for the Semi against Geelong, basically the same seats, but I was fairly calm going into this game. In fact I was so calm I was nearly late just by lounging around at home. Compare that to the previous weekend where I got there about two hours early. The first 20 minutes of the opening quarter was unreal, North at their devastating best. If you could bottle good, quality football, that would be it. However, I always had that nervousness in the pit of my stomach that the Cats would come back. Even after Ziebell kicked two in the final term and we were five goals up, I could never comfortably say 'We've won'.

I basically spent the final 10 minutes of the game with my head in my hands, not wanting to watch. Todd Goldstein's mark, again right in front of me, and the ensuing siren was probably the best moment I've ever experienced as a supporter of North. If that's what winning a Grand Final is like, count me in.

MU: Ah, goosebumps, that semi final, what a night! It's amazing how your description defines how quickly emotions change during a season, but not only that, also within minutes of a game, like those two finals.

So what are your expectations for 2015 and beyond? What players are you most excited about and give us your own crystal ball of the future?

S2A: I'm quite bullish about our prospects for this season. I think Jarrad Waite and Shaun Higgins will fit in seamlessly. But we need to win the premiership now. Boomer, Petrie, Waite and Dal Santo will be gone in the next few seasons. Hopefully in that time we pick up a marquee player (Dangerfield would be nice), but until then I am happy that the club is putting all their eggs in the one basket for that elusive premiership in the next few seasons.

I do rate our youngsters, but some of them could be a lot better than what they have shown. Shaun Atley, Ryan Bastinac, Kieran Harper, Brad McKenzie, these guys have all shown fantastic signs as footballers, but haven't progressed to that next stage for one reason or another. If they can do that, along with further progression from Ben Brown, Kayne Turner, Luke McDonald, Trent Dumont, Taylor Garner and more, there's no reason we can't continue to contend once our senior players start to drop off the perch.

Can't contain my excitement for Turner and Garner though. Can't wait for those two to wreak havoc in the forward line for years to come.

MU: The lid is most certainly coming off, I agree that our team is probably at it's most potent level it's been since the 90s!

Now to a slighty more personal question. I know you have a journalistic background as a student and you do a wonderful job on this board with it. How do you keep a lid on your own passion, do you find it difficult to keep your own personal passion for the club to yourself when taking a more neutral perspective look as a journo and what's your future endeavours for journalism and footy?

S2A: I've been thinking about that quite a lot recently. I just don't think I could do it. I look at Anthony Hudson, who sensationally called the Nick Davis miracle against his Cats, and then again when Brisbane came from nine goals down in 2013. My number one goal is to be a broadcaster like Huddo and Sandy Roberts, and I may just have to impose a 'no North Melbourne games' rule like Eddie with Collingwood.

In writing, I find it can sometimes be difficult to hide my enthusiasm/criticism for the club. But, the cloud has a silver lining. I have a vast knowledge on all of our players, which not many in the journalistic world could lay claim to.

I'm about to begin my second year in a Bachelor of Sports Media. My passion to be a sports journalist and broadcaster burns deeply. I uprooted myself and moved 250km from friends and family to the big city by myself, so I feel a fair amount of pressure on my shoulders to not let this opportunity to study go to waste. Fortunately for me I'm slowly but surely working my way up the ranks, a few highly-regarded journalists have read my work, offered some tips and advice and given me their number. I've recently started my own blog, where everything I write goes, instead of just being stored on my computer where no one reads it. I'm already up to over 50 posts in nearly two months, so I will be hoping to have a nice e-portfolio when my course finishes and I go looking for employment.

MU: Wow, I admire your commitment, it's clearly obvious how passionate you are by the work you've done on this board.

I'd like to get your own journalistic view of North Melbourne and the relocation saga to the Gold Coast, followed by now dipping our toes in the Tasmania market. How did you feel back then and what are your feelings towards playing games in Hobart?

S2A: Heh, 2007 was not a good time for me. I guess after our low finish in 2006, everyone predicting us to win the spoon for '07 and the threat of relocating to the Gold Coast made me quite apprehensive. I remember waking up the morning after one of our practice games in the pre-season, and reading that Nathan Thompson had done his knee and would miss the season. I felt sick in the stomach. Not only was he my favourite player, he was also the only player really capable at the time of kicking a winning score for us. It isn't a nice feeling going into a season knowing you'll probably only win a handful of games in the year.

Then we lost the opening three games. We certainly weren't disgraced, but at 0-3, everyone's predictions seemed to be coming true, and we were under even more pressure to head north. I toyed with the proposition of switching clubs, as I didn't want to support an interstate side. Hawthorn was my choice. I remember in Round 3, we played the Hawks. I listened to via radio, and for a quarter I tried to support the opposition to see what it felt like. It didn't feel good. At all. So I decided to stick the season out with the Roos, and face the off-field political stuff when it came.

We ended up winning six in a row and making a Preliminary Final. My love for the game and my club shot up like never before. Again, I don't want the above to reflect poorly on me as a supporter, I was just trying to deal with the possible fate of our club the best way a 12 year old can.

The Hobart deal kind of scares me, and it kind of doesn't. I trust that, after fighting so hard to keep our club in Melbourne, our board will know not to go overboard in Tassie. Playing a few games there a year is fine, it will strengthen our membership, plus we get the chance to build a nice little home ground advantage at a beautiful stadium that I can't wait to visit this year (I just wish it was still called Bellerive). But with the new boys in charge at the head of the AFL, you just never know. I don't trust Gil for a second.

MU: I can relate to that. I remember when I was 11 or 12 and we lost to the Bulldogs by a point and they were pretty much bottom. I was crying hysterically in the back of the car about how bad we were and Mum was like "Why don't you just go for someone else then!" I remember quickly stopping crying and looked at her and thinking for a split second, "maybe i should", but there's just nothing that matches this club at the end of the day!

OK, so last question mate, bit of a generic one that you've asked everyone else, but it seems good to get to know a bit about everyone. What's the world got for Spitta2Azza outside of Football and Journalism. Any lady interests? What are your other interests?

S2A: Was that the one at Manuka where Brad Johnson fell over the ball in the goalsquare and it managed to hit his boot? **** that game, **** Brad Johnson, **** the Western Bulldogs. Bad memories of that day.

I like to think I'm a pretty interesting character but reality is I'm about as entertaining as a potato. I come from a small country town in Victoria (same place as Stevo) of about 200 people. I did quite poorly in my VCE exams in 2012, due to the sudden passing of my sister two weeks before the English one, so my head wasn't quite in the right space. Still managed to get into a Bachelor of Business at La Trobe. Did that for half a year, didn't like it at all, and quit after seeing a Bachelor of Sports Media advertised in the paper in Melbourne. Will never regret trying the Business course as I made some wicked friends.

Got into the Sports Media degree and moved to the big sticks pretty much one year ago. Has taken me some time to adjust living amongst millions of people compared to hundreds back home, but I think I am all good now. I work part-time at Woolworths, and when I'm not at work I'm either at home playing Xbox with my best mate who I live with, or writing stuff about footy to go on my blog (link to blog is in my sig).

Am very steady with my girlfriend, approaching the four year mark with her in April. Have all but converted her from a Collingwood supporter to North, she's buying a membership this year and can name quite a few of our players, not bad for a Kiwi!

I used to play sport on the weekends all throughout the year. Footy in winter, tennis during summer, but having moved to Melbourne I am yet to find a club for either sport. Tennis in particular is a sport I really want to get back into. I play half forward when I'm chasing the Sherrin, haven't done anything worthwhile in my eight or nine years of playing, although I won the leading goalkicker award as a 14 year old.

I try to drive up home to see family whenever I can, which can be difficult with my work and uni schedule. Often catch up with uni/school mates while I'm home and have a drink. Other than that, that's probably me in a nutshell!

MU: Yep that's the one, I literally lost my absolute f****** s***.

Hardly potato lifestyle, sounds like you’re on the track to having it all sorted. It was a pleasure interviewing you mate. I'll let you get back to your XBOX ;)
0clip_image002.png
FIFA 15 I hope!

HEARTS TO HEARTS

S2A: First off, what made you support our great club?

H2H: This is a roundabout story, so stay with me. I grew up in Sydney, the child of Scottish and Welsh parents, so we followed rugby union and soccer more than Australian sports - every week I went with my dad to watch our local union team, Eastwood. Then I got more into league as I went through school. In Sydney then (1970s) following a team just meant you said you liked them and you watched them on tv if you didn't have anything else on. So my best friend in primary school took me to an actual live game and I naturally went with her team, Canterbury Bankstown, and "followed" them for a few years.

Jump forward to 1992 - I had moved to Melbourne a couple of years earlier, knowing no-one, and it had become very apparent that choosing a football team would give me entry into a whole new level of conversation and society. I was living in Flemington, after time living in Elwood and Fitzroy, so I thought it was between Saints, Lions, Dogs and North Melbourne. I only picked North because they wore the same colours as Canterbury and Eastwood. Random but blessed decision. And I will happily spend the rest of my life earning the right to enjoy the success I saw in my first decade of support.

S2A: Interesting. Funny how life can work like that.

So it sounds like you jumped on the North bandwagon at a very good time. What were the 1996 and 1999 Grand Finals like for you? Who did you watch them with, and how did you celebrate?

H2H: It's a snapshot of how my life changed in between those matches. I watched the 1996 GF at home on TV. I didn't know anyone who was a member of any club, I hadn't joined up, I had no idea how to get a ticket. I enjoyed it but I think I did some ironing while the game was on, that's where my head was in those days. Still a Sydney-style fan.

By 1999 I had completely changed my approach, and had hooked up with my now partner (I have a feeling that my ex's lack of understanding after the 1998 GF was the nail in the coffin). I had given up on getting a ticket as I was just a regular club member, but at my partner's insistence we drove into the MCG to join the queue just in case. And I got my ticket, near the fence, just near the cheer squad. It was magic. I especially remember Winston Abraham strolling in to kick a goal in the second half. Celebrated with fellow supporters over the the tennis centre that night and again at Arden St the next day.

If I get to another flag I hope I'll have at least one of my sons with me too, and that would be perfection.

S2A: That sounds magical. Imagine rocking up at the MCG these days to get a ticket for Grand Final day. Good luck with that.

What was life like for a North Melbourne supporter living close to the club in the 90s? Did you get to Arden Street much for training?

H2H: Occasionally I dropped in - but because my time living there was with my disinterested ex, I didn't make the most of it. I've been much more often since, even though I now have to make a special trip from the eastern suburbs! I was a regular swimmer at the pool after it was built at Arden St, so I saw a bit of the ground and players during those visits - sadly for me, it wasn't because they were swimming too...

S2A: Eastern suburbs represent! It is quite a trip to get to training, I know that feeling.

Who were some of your favourite players during those glory years? And what about now?

H2H: Corey was my favourite. Loved John Blakey too. I appreciated the quiet achiever types in a team of stars. Carey was amazing, and we had so many wonderful players, but Corey McKernan in full flight was and remains the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on a football field.

These days I enjoy it all. I love to watch Boomer running and bouncing, a pinpoint Wells kick, a crazy LT goal, a Ben10 fend or handpass. But if I was going to embarrass myself by wearing a player badge at my advanced age, it would probably be Jack.

My jumper from the 90s actually has 35 on the back and John Longmire's signature. I liked him a lot too and was very emotional about him playing in the 99 GF - plus I was 35 year old when I went to the the GF, so it seemed appropriate.

S2A: Good choices.

You mentioned your children earlier. Are they into footy as much as you are?

H2H: My eight year old loves it - plays for Ashy Redbacks, watches matches on TV, goes to games, plays kick to kick in the park and at school. He used to come with me a fair bit but is going through a stage of barracking for Collingwood only. Sigh. My 13 year old is a North member and comes with me occasionally - if he can bring his DS and I buy him food - but otherwise he's not fussed about footy at all (plays tennis a lot, which is fine too).

S2A: You've still got a few years to change those black stripes back to blue.

How many games do you get to each year?

(P.S. we must live fairly close together, I'm a couple of minutes from Ashy)

H2H: You and me and the Toeses should car pool.

I go to every Melbourne game that North plays, and usually a few Pies games too. Every year we say we'll cut back so it doesn't take over, and then it does again.

S2A: I think 2015 will be a year when you will want to be at every game possible.

Can you explain your most proudest moment as a North Melbourne supporter, excluding the two premierships?

H2H: The finals this year against * and Geelong were very special. I was very proud to be there and cheer those wins. The first game of 2002, beating Port over there after the Unpleasantness made me so proud, even though I wasn't there in person - unbelievable spirit.

But as a moment, the one where I had to pull over in the car and weep as I heard that the anti-relocation forces had won the vote is hard to go past. I didn't do a lot compared to so many others in that fight, but I had nailed my colours to the mast and been part of it in a small way and the feeling of winning that battle was unbelievable.

S2A: Awesome. Your passion is very clear.

How have you viewed the off-season? Thoughts on Levi's departure, and the arrival of Higgins and Waite?

H2H: I was sorry to lose Levi as it had been great to see him finally get into gear this season, but that's life - and at least he stays in my family! I'm pretty excited to see what Higgins brings, as I've seen him play some smashing games over the years (often against the Pies) and he seems ready to roar. Waite is a nice to have - might be a good get, it was nice for him to choose North, and frankly it was worth getting him just so he never plays against us again.

The older I get, the more zen I am about football. Even after only twenty-odd years of following North, I feel deeply that players come and go, but the club and supporters are bound together forever. I'll cheer whoever is out there in the royal blue and white and back them to the hilt.

S2A: Good point re Waite.

Now I'd just like to ask a bit about your personal life, if you're willing to answer. You mentioned growing up in Sydney, how was that? And what sparked the move to Melbourne? What do you do (or done) for a living? What are some of your personal interests, outside of football?

H2H: Growing up in Sydney was great. My brother still lives there and my mum and my sister and all her family live down the coast a bit in Gerringong (great beachside town, which is completely fantastic for us too). I moved down here after I finally finished uni to work for BHP. I was an archivist but I moved pretty quickly into corporate affairs and for over 14 years I've been a freelance corporate writer, editor and proofreader.

Outside of football I focus on my family - lots of kids' school and sport - and I like walking, gardening, generally relaxing and keeping pretty quiet. You were polite enough not to ask but I'm 51 now so keeping myself and everyone in the family healthy and happy is basically what my life is about.

S2A: Sounds like a good life! Thanks for your time Hearts to hearts, fascinating insight.

H2H: Pleasure chatting - hope we can catch up in person during the year as we enjoy North's successes.

H2H: My eight year old loves it - plays for Ashy Redbacks
I've got a couple of mates that play there in the colts team.

Good club that one.

Anyway, I feel like after getting to know everyone on here in this thread, we should all meet up at a pub or bar before a game next season :thumbsu:

This is such a great thread. It really is a fascinating insight to people that were effectively only profiles on the internet that may as well have belonged to robots. It's a great way to get past the anonymous nature of the internet and forums.

The first game of 2002, beating Port over there after the Unpleasantness made me so proud, even though I wasn't there in person - unbelievable spirit.

This thread is just so great because everyone can relate to so much that others say.

I was an 8 year old attending this game. Since I live in SA, it was basically an unwritten rule that I would be taken to every game we played in Adelaide. When I saw you raise it as one of your best moments as a supporter, I thought back and realised I was way too young to understand the magnitude of what that win meant, but now I can clearly remember the elation Roos fans felt that night at the ground, although there weren't many of us. For me it was just another great win that I was lucky enough to see.

S2A:
(P.S. we must live fairly close together, I'm a couple of minutes from Ashy)

H2H: You and me and the Toeses should car pool.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Done! I'll turf the kids' booster seats out of the rear of the Stang tomorrow.

Top stuff again guy and gal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll be a good sports reporter S2A, just don't be Caro type ;)
Or Robbo, or McAvaney, Or Dwayne Russell, or Tony Shaw, or Brereton, or Healy, or Ralph, or Harvey, or Smith, or Harley. Christ there's some terrible journo's/broadcasters in this industry. If this thread's anything to go by S2A will surely break that trend.

Have to Agree S2A so level headed for someone half my age... Can see him going a Long Way.....

Good stuff Spitz2azza and marksup for putting the hand up.

Hats off to you Spitz, moving to a big city by yourself at a young age is a major step and it seems like you've done it with ease. I did it recently but had the mrs with me...could only imagine how hard it would be alone.

Lunch with Stevens...damn you to hell. Was my favourite player along with Allison. My whole junior football career i wore #10 because of the great man!

Good luck with your future studies and media work. Your determination will drive you far.

Good stuff Spitz2azza and marksup for putting the hand up..

No worries mate, since this thread is so popular. I'm happy to keep working with Spitta2Azza (if he's okay with that of course) to pump out as many interviews as possible, since it helps my endeavors for future sports journalism also. As was mentioned before on this thread, everyone has a story to tell and it'd be good to hear from everyone.

No worries mate, since this thread is so popular. I'm happy to keep working with Spitta2Azza (if he's okay with that of course) to pump out as many interviews as possible, since it helps my endeavors for future sports journalism also. As was mentioned before on this thread, everyone has a story to tell and it'd be good to hear from everyone.
You want to hear about zondors exploits at tender touch? :stern look

Yes by all means mate, would make this job a lot easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back