At the bar with Spitta2Azza & Marksup (Phillyroo #482)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm nearly done with my interview with TPA. Does someone want to nominate another poster next. There is some quality stuff coming out of here, I'm motivated to get as many done as possible so I might get a few going at the one time.

Only forwards or Maddam.

I'm nearly done with my interview with TPA. Does someone want to nominate another poster next. There is some quality stuff coming out of here, I'm motivated to get as many done as possible so I might get a few going at the one time.

I know he is pretty busy these days but I'm pretty sure a giantroo interview would be a good read.

I know he is pretty busy these days but I'm pretty sure a giantroo interview would be a good read.
Likewise you Arden.

And Kimbo, Passmore, Ryz, TOD etc.

Likewise you Arden.

And Kimbo, Passmore, Ryz, TOD etc.

Yep, more of everything!

tumblr_m4n5xc6Fbc1qza49co1_1280.png

The other dean, King Corey, Luvthekangas, Heaps of Fun, Wild Bill, Jlind78 (more book info)...the list goes on.

Get cracking Marksup! :thumbsu:

1-Crack-That-Whip.gif
Well that answers any questions remaining about you Brett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TennisPlayerAndy

MU: Hey mate, let’s get this underway shall we!

What are you first memories of football and the AFL, but more importantly when did your love begin for the North Melbourne Football club?

TPA: Hey hey, well my first memories of football are of our Rd 2 1990 game against Richmond. The game where Longmire kicked 14. I watched it on VHS and almost burnt the tape I watched it that many times. The first game I remember attending was a Friday night game, also against Richmond in 1995. By the time we had sat down, Richmond had five goals on the board and we were never in the hunt. I was pretty shattered we were soundly beaten and struggled to understand why we didnt crush them like we had done previously.

MU: Wow that 1990 game was before my time, is the tape still running alright? Might have to have a look!

Was there any particular reason for why it was North, and also give us your rundown of personal experiences with our two flags, but also if you can, the prelim loss to Geelong in 94 and of course the 98 loss to Crows. I've looked back at both and I feel gutted watching them despite being 1 and 5 at the time of them happening, so would love an insight as to how it felt as a more seasoned supporter.

TPA: Well, I didn't really have a choice. My dad's side of the family are all North. Dad's Aunty used to live a stones throw away from Arden St so my grandpa and my father used to visit her and then walk to the footy. My mum barracks for Hawthorn and tried to sway either my brother or I, but we stayed strong.

First the flags.

96 is a little fuzzy. I was only eight, but I do remember feeling as though we'd lose as things were looking pretty bleak right up until a Paul Kelly pass fell agonizingly short of Plugger. From then on the game turned our way and a cameo performance from Glen Freeborn launched us to a most fantastic victory. My dad was fairly emotional as his father had passed away in 1992 so this was the first flag we'd won without him being there, but he was stoked he could share the joy with my brother and I.

By 99 I was 11, I played in the little league during our prelim and got to wear 18. I was beside myself. On GF day we went around to my uncles house to watch the game with the rest of my extended family. There was an air of confidence that we'd take home the silverware thanks to Essendon's choke job the week before. The game was pretty close but a Corey McKernan goal from the centre square blew the game apart. When Carey went into the middle, we completely wrestled control of the game and I'll always remember Carey's one handed mark in the final quarter and Steven Silvani's face had the look of a man defeated. I was lucky enough to get a few signatures and photos at the subsequent family day premiership celebration. Sadly, I lost the shirt, but still have the photos somewhere.

I can't add too much about the '94 prelim as I was only six, but everytime I see that Leigh Tudor pass, and the look on Mick's face, I think about what could have been.

98 was tough. As we'd been such a dominant team since I started to be aware of football I expected us to win. That's just what we did. When we lost, I was shattered. My cousin and I absolutely destroyed a plastic outdoor setting. Just murdered it to pieces. That game to me shows just how cruel football can be and also how invested you can become in your football team. I have never rewatched it but I firmly believe that the loss in '98 lead to our win in '99.

The 1990 tape still works a treat. I will eventually try and put it on DVD, but it has a special place in my dads 'North VHS library.

MU: Interesting take on all those moments. Mixture of the best times and some of the most disappointing.

So how has it been for you post the 90’s Roos' with the limited success we have had? Through all the tough times and the few good ones, what are the ones that stick out for you most?

TPA: Well, the last 15 years just go to show how spoilt we were during those glory years. Finals wins have been few and far between since then and we have never really been in the flag hunt.

Some of the better moments in that time:

The Jason McCartney game is something I'll remember forever. Absolutely herculean effort to return to football after suffering the injuries he did.

Staving off the Gold Coast relocation. I was overseas when the news came through that we were staying in Melbourne so I had no one to celebrate with, but with the news came a massive wave of relief knowing that we'd be staying at Arden St.

Both finals this year. I missed the '07 semi win, so to witness my first finals win since '99 was amazing. I was nervous as hell at the start of the game and our start did nothing to allay those nerves. I was extremely disappointed in our performance and when Essendon goaled at the start of the third quarter, I was just about ready to walk out. Thank god I stayed.

The Geelong game was like a reverse of the week before with regard to my emotions. I was immensely satisfied with the first finals win so I was totally relaxed as I walked into the 'G. After the incredible start, I thought we had the game in the bag. When Jack kicked the second of his two goals midway through he last quarter, I started celebrating the win. History suggest I went a little too early. During the next ten minutes I felt as though my heart was going to burst out of my chest. The deliberate OOB call sent me postal. I didn't even see Goldstein mark the ball as I had my head in my hands. The massive roar that accompanied his mark gave me a massive fright as I thought a Cats player had marked it, but when I saw Todd with the ball in his hands I let out the most guttural roar.

The biggest negative is the Carey fiasco. He was North Melbourne to me. I know people say that a player isn't bigger than the club, but he was as close as it gets. When the news broke, I didn't believe it at first. Assumed it was some sort of bad joke. Once it became apparent that it was true, I almost gave up on football. The thought that he'd no longer take the field in our jumper again upset me immeasurably. I couldn't describe the feeling I had when he took the field against in '04. I wanted to hate him, but couldn't. I wanted to see him fail. But I didn't. I think I was most upset that we never got to say goodbye. He was there one minute and then gone the next. The only good thing that came from this was Carlton being Carlton and cheating the cap and handing us the pick that got us Daniel Wells.

MU: You've summed up some great moments. All the ups and downs make you wonder what the next 15 years will bring.

So I guess I'll make that my next question, what are your realistic expectations and hopes for the next 5-10 years on field, but also off field with debt reduction and Hobart relocation, what are your views and hopes on them going forward?

TPA: I am very confident on field success is just around the corner. I know all supporters say the same thing, but I feel that we have built a list that can take us all the way to the podium on grand final day, which is far away from what it looked like during the Laidley years when we had every possible spud you could think of stinking up the joint. It would be beyond sensational to see Boomer, Wellsy, Dish reach the ultimate as they have been absolute warhorses through some absolutely barren times and us, the members, deserve it too. I'd love to be able to celebrate a flag as an adult as well. I wouldn't sleep for a week.

The off field department has been nothing short of outstanding. We have basically doubled in membership over the last 7-8 years, paid off a large chunk of the debt, built an amazing facility that puts the previous one to shame and returned the club to the members. An effort that deserves to be applauded for a long, long time. If only on field matched what has been delivered off it. We'd be celebrating out 10th flag by now.

My one bugbear is that we haven't been able to do it without selling games across Bass straight. We made an artform out of playing games interstate through the 00's which IMO turned a lot of fans away from the club. I feel as though that if the club comes to rely heavily on that source of money again, then there is no going back and I fear for what the future holds if the amount of games we play in Tassie is increased and we are put in a position where we have zero say in where we are located. After all the GC stuff, I don't want to see the club go through all that s**t again, let alone all the loyal supporters who staunchly fought to keep the club in Melbourne.

Having said that, I feel the current arrangement suits us reasonably well and if we can totally knock off the debt within the next 3-4 years then we will have a decent bargaining position if push came to shove and we were forced to make a decision with regard to locating down to Tassie. Three games is the absolute max down there IMO before we once again start to undermine the very supporter base that gives the club their oxygen.

I'm absolutely certain that the AFL will expand the league further and I hope that with some on field success, we will be at the bottom of the list of teams in the gun to move.

MU: Good points you make there regarding relocation. I have full faith in the club that they won't dip their toes in too deep and we will be at Arden Street for a long long time.

So now a more personal North question. Who were your heroes growing up and your current heroes today, but also expanding on that, outside of North what players did you fear most growing up and also today?

TPA: Carey. The man was a colossus. As I said earlier, he was North Melbourne. He made the players around him walk taller, he made the supporters walk taller. Every kid had 18 on their backs, well, North supporters anyway! He had it all. With an unmistakable arrogance, and skills to burn, he was the complete package and I'm not sure we'll see another player like him for a long time. I always loved to see Winston Abraham in action. He was absolute silk. Anthony Stevens was as hard as a rock, never taking a backward step. I was always a fan of Peter Bell and I thought he was robbed of the Norm Smith in 99. For some reason I loved Trent Nicholls, perhaps because he was left-footed or maybe it was the fact that he was so tiny and I was amazed he could be on the same field with guys a whole lot bigger than himself.

These days, I can't go past Daniel Wells. He makes the game look so easy, it's almost as if he isn't trying. I also had the pleasure of meeting him in his first year after buying his heritage guernsey in 2003. Later on that year I turned up to training and he remembered me, came over and said hello and asked me what I was doing that weekend (Round 22 against Carlton). I said I was going to watch the boys at home to which he said 'we can't have that happening'. He ended up organising four tickets for my family and we got to sit amongst the North club contingent whilst we pummeled the living s**t out of Carlton. Also a big fan of Jack. He's an absolute monster who bleeds blue and white and I really see stamping himself on the comp in the coming years. Love Ats, especially when he's burning off all and sundry through the middle of the field. Also, that Harvey kid shows a lot of promise. Perhaps after another 50 games, he'll start to really show us what hes got.

Growing up, it always seemed that Lloyd had our measure and because of that that, I never liked him. Well, that and he played for Essendon. Earlier than that, Lockett was one guy who I always felt would just destroy us. I think he averaged something close to five goals a game against us. I dreaded the entire Brisbane team from 2001-2004. Stars on every line. Ablett Snr is another.

More recently, it's been mostly midfielders that have torn us apart. Aside from Buddy13. Ablett, Pendlebury, Judd among others. Never feel confident with those guys on the field. Hawkins has manhandled us on occaision also.

MU: Wow. Wellsy. What a legend thing to do, but almost exactly what I'd expect a legend bloke like him to do. I have a jumper hanging framed in my room signed by him and Boomer, which was also signed in his debut season at North. Awesome stuff.

I guess I'd like to move towards the Bigfooty aspect now. You're obviously a very consistent poster and respected one at that. What first appealed to you about Bigfooty and what are some of your favourite things that have occurred in your time on the site?

TPA: I stumbled across this place searching for Wellsy related articles in about 2006. I was an LCynic-style lurker for a couple of years before joining. I have absolutely no idea and have been here ever since.

I love being able to talk about the club, and sport in general with like minded individuals and I enjoy reading everyone's opinion despite the fact I may not agree with it. Life would be fairly boring if we all thought the same thing. I post a bit on the Cricket and NFL boards, but this is where I do most of my work as this is where the level of humour and intelligence is at its highest.

The Hamish McLachlan thread on the main AFL board is something else. The level of humour in that thread is off the charts. If you haven't read the entire thing, you are missing out. Some of the pictures have been removed, but a lot of the best stuff still remains. There is also, of course, the sympathy thread, which as you can imagine, gives me, and I'm sure most of us, a bucketload of schadenfreude on a daily basis. To read the thoughts of those deranged enough to deny any wrong doing almost makes me feel sorry for them. Almost.

There have been numerous back and forths in the seven years, (holy s**t, has that gone fast) and I'm never one to back down from an argument, but my all time favourite was a poster trying to convince me Cale Morton was a better footballer than Jack. To say I was bewildered is an understatement.

MU: Cale f****** Morton????? Classic.

Well as someone who is trying to post on this board more regularly, sounds like I might need to expand on to the other boards as well!

So moving even more personally. Where does your Bigfooty name come from? Are you actually a tennis player (apologies if this is already a well-known fact)? What are your other hobbies outside of football and bigfooty? Do you study, work? When you're not lurking the net what is TPA doing?

TPA: Yep. Tennis player. Not the most creative username going around.

I am currently a tennis coach. I started a Uni degree straight out of high school, but after the first year it wasnt what I wanted to be doing so I decided to go with what I knew and started to teach people how to play tennis. I really enjoy it, despite it being frustrating at times and I get to be outside and not stuck in an office.

Having said that, I'm on the cusp of a new career which I hope will eventuate in the near future.

When I'm not on here I'm either playing indoor soccer, golf, watching any and every possible sport(particularly American) on TV and of course playing tennis. I'm a massive sportsnut if you hadn't noticed already. I also spend too way much money on clothes to my girlfriends chagrin. But hey, you gotta look good!

MU: I used to play a lot of tennis when I was younger and let loose at my coach one day when I was about 10. I had a short temper and he tried to change my serve and I let him have it. Look out for little terror kids like me. ;)

It's been a pleasure TPA, look forward to reading more of your opinions on here in the future!

TPA: Thanks dude!!

TennisPlayerAndy -

Did you get a hiding for destroying a perfectly good outdoors setting?

I remember that Richmond game in 95, I'll never get over it. We got to the G and gate 6 was saying the Southern stand was full, we were in a group of about 15 mostly Richmond and had cut it too fine from the Cricketers, on the way around to the Ponsford stand someone gave us free tickets, enough to cover all but 1 of the group. We battled our way in, Richmond had 3 or 4 on the board already and proceeded to kick another 5 or 6 right over our heads, they just kept coming from all angles. The people I went with were delirious, most notably a couple of chicks who didn't go to games often and their sh*t was relentless all day. It was awful. To this day amongst my mates the North v Richmond game is the highlight of the year but no matter how many times we beat them it is not enough to make up for that horrendous day.

The only richomnd game from 95 I remember is smashing the crap out of them in the final.

Their banner said

After 13 years in the Jungle.....

***Curtain drops**

We're Back

Then we smacked them.

The only richomnd game from 95 I remember is smashing the crap out of them in the final.

Their banner said

After 13 years in the Jungle.....

***Curtain drops**

We're Back

Then we smacked them.
We also came back from about 7 goals down to beat them in the 2nd H&A game that year didn't we?

Later that same year in the return fixture a few of us went and saw the Tiges kill us in the first half, we ducked across to the Royal and My Tigers supporting mate put $5 in the jug, he was on a high. When it came time to go back to the ground the show still hadn't started and given that he tipped in paper rather than shrapnel he wanted to hang around because "you get something". As the scoreline was so freaking horrible the North guys consented, when we returned the game had taken a turn and we got to see this classic finish.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2013-07-05/flashback-round-19-1995

I remember that Richmond game in 95, I'll never get over it. We got to the G and gate 6 was saying the Southern stand was full, we were in a group of about 15 mostly Richmond and had cut it too fine from the Cricketers, on the way around to the Ponsford stand someone gave us free tickets, enough to cover all but 1 of the group. We battled our way in, Richmond had 3 or 4 on the board already and proceeded to kick another 5 or 6 right over our heads, they just kept coming from all angles. The people I went with were delirious, most notably a couple of chicks who didn't go to games often and their sh*t was relentless all day. It was awful. To this day amongst my mates the North v Richmond game is the highlight of the year but no matter how many times we beat them it is not enough to make up for that horrendous day.
If it's the one I'm thinking about, I think of it as the Nick Daffy game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back