At the bar with Spitta2Azza & Marksup (Phillyroo #482)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry guys, when it comes to birth years, 1968 is the sh*t:
  • LL Cool J
  • Damon Albarn
  • Eric Bana
  • Traci Lords
  • Casper Van Dien
  • Molly Ringwald
  • Anthony Michael Hall
  • Gary Coleman (RIP)
  • Ricki Lake
  • Micky Martyn
  • see see
Talk about a quality crop, it's the 2001 draft of birth years.
I see your 1968 and raise you 1975.

Angelina Jolie
David Beckham
Jack Johnson
Sia
50 Cent
Will.I.Am
Bradley Cooper
Tiger Woods
Kate Winslet
Drew Barrymore
Michael Buble
Russell Brand
Tobey Maguire
Eva Longoria
Daniel Tosh
Charlize Theron
Red Foo

I see your 1968 and raise you 1975.

Red Foo
You have my greatest sympathy.
I see your 1968 and 1975 and raise you 1981.

Roger Federer
Jessica Alba.
Natalie Portman
Beyonce
Paris Hilton

:D
Highly representative of Generation Y - self-absorbed attention whores (Federer being the exception that proves the rule).

Sorry guys, when it comes to birth years, 1968 is the sh*t:
  • LL Cool J
  • Damon Albarn
  • Eric Bana
  • Traci Lords
  • Casper Van Dien
  • Molly Ringwald
  • Anthony Michael Hall
  • Gary Coleman (RIP)
  • Ricki Lake
  • Micky Martyn
  • see see
Talk about a quality crop, it's the 2001 draft of birth years.
Never heard of any of them (Micky Martyn excluded). ;)

#YoungWannabe

Sorry Ischenko, I was going to say VCR but thought many of the younger posters may not know what I was talking about! I probably didn't buy a DVD player until a few years after this, bloody thing cost me $500.

What are they these DVDs, VCRs and Ipads that you talk about?

Are they different names for the wireless or the gramophone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great interview once again, guys. Top work.

Births from the magical year of '69....
  • PJ Harvey
  • Jack Black
  • Catherine Zeta-Jones
  • Trey Parker
  • Dave Grohl
  • Spike Jonze
  • Gwen Stefani
  • Goldust
  • Zach Galifianakis
  • Steffi Graf
  • Ice Cube
  • Jay-Z
  • Puff Diddy
  • Bobby Brown
  • Zondor

What are they these DVDs, VCRs and Ipads that you talk about?

Are they different names for the wireless or the gramophone?
They beat the old egyptian stuff you're used to.

Great interview once again, guys. Top work.

Births from the magical year of '69....
  • PJ Harvey
  • Jack Black
  • Catherine Zeta-Jones
  • Trey Parker
  • Dave Grohl
  • Spike Jonze
  • Gwen Stefani
  • Goldust
  • Zach Galifianakis
  • Steffi Graf
  • Ice Cube
  • Jay-Z
  • Puff Diddy
  • Bobby Brown
  • Zondor
Ok, can't argue with some of that list. And the year that several BigFooty legends screamed the first notes of Hearts to Hearts. Zondor born in '69? Who'da thunk?

GASOMETER

Where did your love for footy begin but more importantly your love for NMFC?

I can vaguely remember going to VFL Park when I was around 5 years old I went to see a North game with my family. I have tried a few times to narrow down the exact year and game but haven't gotten far. Best is mid 1970's and it was against Hawthorn. Like all kids at that age I was fairly bored with it all and didn't get into it. I had a friend who was Carlton at the time and I dabbled with them until my parents said 'nah'. Ater they went to the 1976 GF and brought home blue and white badges and we as a family made the effort to drive down from the country to Arden Street and attend most games during 1977.

You used to have to park a fair way from the ground in those days and walk through the streets to get to the game. It was pretty average as a little tacker to be in the outer with those big male drunks. It used to disgust me the beer cans, the eskies, smoking...and I was 9 years old at the time, so going to the toilet on the Gasometer wing was a real chore. You used to walk down a ramp to urinals with no roof and stand there with these drunks and hope to get a spot. We used to stand or balance on little fold up stands and sit on them during the breaks and have lamingtons and luke warm Milo. I used to look over at the 'rich' people in the Arden St grandstand with envy. It was Christmas when we played at the MCG or VFL Park and got to SIT down.

We were on fire in 1977 and all the usual suspects were up and firing. I remember running onto Arden St to get an autograph after ever game. I was too slow and Blighty, Shimma, and Greig were always off the ground by the time I made the centre. My sister and I got yelled at once because we jumped over the fence with about 3 minutes to go before the final siren and the players nearly collected us up. Blue jacketed attendant came down and yelled at us to 'get the **** back over the fence.' I was successful at getting Stephen Icke's autograph once, after, a loss and what struck me was how tired he looked.

Crowds in those days were massive when we played Hawks, Carlton and *. I once remember my Mum getting into a verbal tish with a Blues woman. I think we got smashed that day.

We went to 'away' games now and then like Princes Park where Dad had his wallet pickpocketed in 1979. Collingwood was the worst. Just dreadful. Still remember seeing some drunk punch ups there after the game...men with long 70's hair drunk and rolling around in cold puddles with big woollen 70's turtle necks.

Had a North jumper that was too tight and too hot...woollen but that's all they had in those days. Used to sweat like a pig sitting in the sun at Finals time at VFL Park. Had No 15, Blighty, on the back.

Went to all the finals in 77 but missed out on GF tickets. Didn't matter because that year was the first LIVE TV GF in COLOUR...and we got to watch it twice. Arnie Briedis kicked shockingly in the first game. We used to see him at Broadmeadows often with Shane Rantall. They had their own sports store there.
But winning in 77 was awesome.

Saw the whole of the finals in 78 including the GF. I was 10 years old and after the loss bawled all the way down the Olympic Stand. We went to McDonalds Flemington Rd and blow me down there's Crackers Keenan sitting there with his Mrs. Crackers was suspended and missed the GF. With red eyes I went up to him and got his autograph and told him 'next year'....I had to wait all the way until 1996 for redemption.

It seems you had some incredible times during the 70's when the club first came to life, but I guess what interests me is what they 80's held? It obviously wasn't a successful era for our club, but I'd still like to know what it was like to go through that decade, knowing how tough the 2000's were for me? Also explain going through the struggle of the 80's and what it was like to see the team bounce back in the 90's and do you feel the same transition happening with our team now?

The 1980's....so much false hope that was shattered in abysmal Finals one year, and then the next, not to be seen again.
It was an era that saw short comings in recruiting that were meant to be long term saviours. The like of Bruce Abernathy who came with some fan fare and nekminit was at Collingwood. Kym Hodgeman was a solid performer and of course our last Brownlow Medalist Roscoe in 1983.

Krakouer magic was an amazing time. I remember going to their first game at the MCG and it was the first time the City end TV scoreboard had been turned on as well so it was a big occasion. I think it was against Richmond and we lost. Their ability to find each other was breathtaking, and it was usually with dead point accuracy by hand or foot. They knew how to throw a punch as well and remember Jimmy going ballistic down at Moorabbin one day. At the time, as a spectator I knew nothing about what they were going through on the field with the racism. It was only years later that I read the biography on them 'Brother Boys' and the pain they were going through at the time. I think we in the outer used to just think they bad tempers...if only we had known. They were great players and I am so privileged to have seen them.

There were also some other lesser lights John Law, Darren Steel and one of the best left foot kicks I have seen in John Holt. It was also the era of the end of careers. Schimma broke down on the SCG with an Achilles and never returned. Keith Greig who famously was reported and told the Tribunal it was a 'slur on his name'. Blighty kicked a 100 goals one year but still managed to run into the point posts and kick...a point...thinking they were goal posts.

Some of the finals were best forgotten about; except the 1985 Carlton Elim Final. We couldn't go that week and listened to it on the radio...and then went to the next Final V Dogs and got cooked. The only interesting aspect of that game was before the game when biff happened between a family man and some young buck...both were ejected because the young buck wouldn't sit down and Family man slapped him down to the jaw. Family man came back in at half time. I think our last final of the 80's was 1987 and a 100 point smashing from Melbourne.

Went to the last ever game at Arden St v Richmond. The crowds were really poor by that stage. Once the terraces were packed. Now you could have the terrace to stand in and swing a cat. Bob Ansett brought Budget in and out. Cable and Blighty were anointed Coaches...and then failed. Kanga Kennedy came along and gave us some hope. The first night game at the MCG was a riot. I went for the first time with an older mate (without) parents and the MCG couldn't handle us...lol...nah the Gates were locked and the ferals tore them off to get in...it was against Collingwood.

I didn't really go to many games once I hit Uni and other things started; I got a job at Waverly Park and got to see us in a few games. I watched frustratingly on as Longmire missed out on kicking his 100th goal out there. I also saw Matty Larkin's goal of the year. That happened right in front of me on the boundary. I have often tried to slow it down to see us, but its just a blur.
In the end it was a frustrating decade.

Things didn't seem to be getting much better come the 1990's. As someone already in this thread has said, the 1990 Tigers pummelling was a great night. But I can also remember going later that year and sitting on top of the roofless Southern Stand watching the Brisbane Bears and us...I have since looked up the crowd and it was 8,300 people at the game.

Schimma became our third Player-Coach that failed in as many years. That pre season game was turned off at half time. The sacking followed and the rumours started quickly that Pagan would return from * to Coach. When he was appointed it would be fair to say that most of us were confident that he would be able to do something knowing his U19s record.

Is it the same feeling as I had in 1993? Not really. We had one stand out player that really stood out. There was a confidence that no matter what, he could lead and turn the game around. This year is a big year; we need to develop more consistency and maybe that sense of what if will come aka 1993.

The 80s don't sound too flash, a bit like the mid-to-late 2000s. Not good times for a North supporter, but sounds like you got to see some awesome players go at it, like the Krakouer boys.

What was it like seeing the likes of Wayne Carey, Anthony Stevens, Glenn Archer, Wayne Schwass and co. becoming household names as the North team became a powerhouse again? Did you attend any Grand Finals through the 90s?

I can vaguely remember Carey playing at that famous Richmond win in 1990 but probably the first time I really took notice was the first game of 1993 when he was made Captain. It was against the Lions and I was sitting at the top of the Sth Stand. He did some good things but I always remember some Roos lads a few Bays away and every time he did something they screamed out 'CAPTAIN'. He had something even then and that was the start of the journey 1993.

The game it all boiled over was Rd 8 v Pies. I didn't go that game but listened on the radio. It was at Vic Park and its the only game I ever purchased on VHS. The Age the next day had the lines 'Pretenders No More' with Carey and his torn jumper. 1993 petered out with an average game at Waverly but it was our first final in years and the excitement was awesome before the game.

The next three seasons were just magic. So many classic games were played. Bruce McAveney anointed Carey 'The King' and Friday night became ours. Even when we lost it was still Carey pulling the joint apart and such was the case v Hawks one night when he nearly won it off his own boot.

It wasn't without controversy. I think Dermie may have written an article that suggested Carey needed to be more aggressive. Then followed a string of suspensions. I can still remember the look of anger on Pagan's face when he was ambushed on Rex Hunts Sunday morning show and shown a clip of Carey whacking a Crows guy in the back of the head. Nekminit suspended again.

He was the icing on the cake. It was the second and third tier players that got us over and that's where the 'No Carey, No North' fell down. There was an element of truth to it, we usually won, but not without Stevo, Arch, King, Mick, Schwatta, Fridge etal, all the way down to Glen Freeborn.

Looking back in hindsight we got two GF's that weren't against the best team in 96 and 99. 99 was in the bag after the Prelim win. Wasn't too sure about 96 before the game and I dread to think what would have happened had that ball made Lockett and he had goaled. Coming back from 30 pts down in the 90's was hard work. I was so superstitious that I wore the same clothes to all the finals in 96 and 99. They were awesome to have been at and made up for the misery from 77 onwards.

Speaking of misery we had some shockers. 94 Prelim was probably the most shattered I have ever felt after a siren, I didn't speak for 2 hours. 95 Prelim and 97 were also average nights. 97 was terrible...you could see the team falling apart and arguing, finger pointing. I cant remember 1998.

I left the GF thinking we were probably at the end of our era. I was right, but I didn't expect it to last until 2015. The way equalisation is sold we should have been back there before now.

So is it fair to say Carey was your favourite player during that era? How did you react to the controversy that erupted in 2002?

There were vague scatterings on 3AW the night he was to announce something but it was all over the shop and I dont think anyone could make sense of what it was about.

Finally got to the 6pm news and it erupted. Pressie and then leaving the club.

Just like that.

It was the days before social media and the old North website had shut down its forum and the only place to go was to Big Footy. March 2002 was my join date for BF and it was that very day. I came here to share the shock.

I was devastated. The Herald Sun was about 10 pages deep with it the next day. I can remember walking into the morning tea room and people who knew nothing about footy were giving their analysis. For people outside of North there was no love lost with Carey...most saw him as arrogant and yep 'a ******', and now it had all been proven true.

We all know the story and it probably ripped the heart out of us for many years; it was really only when JB turned up and most of that group of players from that era (aside from Boomer) that we were able to put it to rest.

It definitely sounds like one of the hardest periods of North Melbourne's existence. I'm glad I was too young to understand the enormity of it all.

How do you feel about the AFL heading into 2015, having seen the game evolve and adapt since the 70s? Is it in a better position to back then? Would you change anything?

I have watched that 1994 Prelim Final a few times since. It was straight down the lines in those dying minutes to a 50/50 contest. Today whoever was in front would probably have iced the game and won.
The flood would have been on and Micky wouldn't have been alone in that square.

So the strategy has evolved and so has the speed. 30 point buffers at half time doesn't mean the game is over. It did in the 70's.

The worst period was in the middle of the 00's when JYD game plan turned me off going. We weren't winning and we weren't losing with any risk taking.

The uglier aspects of the game have gone. The racism code, the snipers behind play and in front of play.

The fights might have gone but if anyone thinks this game isn't tough should go down to the boundary once and a while. I haven't seen a player from any side squib it in the past few years such is the media attention and the way they hit and tackle each other causes damage.

Sure, you get the odd game in here that is rolling maul, but the game evolves. As smart as the flood was seen by some, isn't there nothing better to see it break open and the ball carried and kicked towards our open goals?

We got the expansion teams wrong. Probably should have waited until 2020. GWS or Suns are probably going to be gifted a Premiership, and that annoys me because they haven't done the hard yards. I have been blessed to have seen in the flesh two Flags...but what about a Dogs or Saints fan?

But in the end, it's in good shape and with those Finals of last year pumping us all up, who knows, that 1999 gap may be about to be broken????

We can only hope.

So what is life like outside of BigFooty for the Gif-Man?

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds of self incrimination.

Other than that I would give it 4 stars David.

Fair enough. Thanks for your time Gaso.

No worries! Go Roos!

Thanks to Marksup who conducted part of this interview.

They're great memories. You guys have me beat by a couple of years but my attendance was in a Ischenkoyoubeauty style for many years and are somewhat hazier.
I was similar to you and IYB, l had around 700 posts at the start of last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back