At the bar with Spitta2Azza & Marksup (Phillyroo #482)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great read Marksup and OF.

Another interview will be posted in the coming days, between myself and one of North Melbourne's most popular posters. Stay tuned.

You found the monastery?

Quality as usual, well done to both of you.

Ps. "Soon to be stripped Brownlow medalist" LOL.

PHILLYROO

S2A: First off, when did your love of the blue and white begin? What started it?

PR: Ok, I was born grand final day 1980 my mum and dad attended the game and I decided I wanted out 1 month prem, so instead being born in Warrnambool I got born in Melb and airlifted back to the bool. My old man was (is) good mates with some former North players (John Burns, Kerry Goode, Mark Dawson). I remember from a very young age getting picked up early from school on Fridays to drive to Melbourne to the big bright lights at the G. Because of the affiliation with some of the former players we were regulars in the rooms before, halftime and after games. Jimmy and Phil were my early faves!!! Dad was Alex Ishenko's player sponsor for a few ears so we always had a chat with him.

I just loved it so much, none of my mates at school ever got to go to the footy.... But I went near on every week. Looking back on it it really makes you appreciate what your parents do for you as a little fella, we wouldn't get home until 2 or 3 in the morning, and then Dad would work all day Saturday. Massive effort.

S2A: I can definitely relate to that. Coming from a small town three hours north of Melbourne, Dad would always do his best to get me to as many games possible throughout the year, even if it meant finishing night-shift at 7:30am then heading off on the drive a few hours later.

Do you have any definitive memories from watching the team in the late 80s? Does anything that the Krakouer brothers did particularly stand out to you, or something from another player?

PR: I was pretty young but I just remember how they knew where the other was and where he was going to be without even looking, it was AMAZING. Jimmy was my fave because he was so damn tough, no give up, no back down. Matty Larkin and Peter German also stand out... Larkin so balanced and clean, and German on the run from outside 50 was money! The eighties are a bit blurry... The 90's on the other hand, woweeee I remember every moment I reckon.

S2A: So tell me about them. What do you remember about Wayne Carey's early years? Did you see the making of a premiership team in those early years?

PR: A couple if things really stand out. Sorry but this will not be in chronological order.

I was an unabashed Carey fan, I had Wayne Carey posters all over my walls, a Wayne Carey doona, Wayne Carey Pillows, whenever we played kick to kick it was always "CAAAAAAARRRRRRREEEEYYYYYY" I remember Carey playing a game early in his career at Footscray, he was getting scragged all day, we all knew we had something special already but he did something that, in my opinion, changed the way the footy world thought of him, he was caught behind in a marking contest and dead set round-armed the mug that had been all over him all day. He got reported and suspended but it was worth it! He was just larger than life, we won't ever see anyone own the AFL like he did! I don't care where he got the ball I expected him to kick the goal. The overtime final win against Hawthorn was goddamn super human!

I remember in maybe 95 when Diesel was far and away the best player in the comp (I loved Diesel by the way, thought he was a freak) we were in the rooms before the game and I was loitering near Anthony Rock. Pagan walked over to him with so much purpose I almost s**t... He grabbed Rocky by the front of his jumper and shook him and said words to the effect of "show me what the F*** you are gonna do to this bastard!!!" Rocky shoved him in the chest and Pagan went mental, like he was frothing at the mouth. "Not hard enough, you NEED to let him know that he's gonna have a s**t bloody night" and he went at Rock again! Rocky half went crazy and threw him against the table near by. Pagan looked happy, I was so pumped up, I wanted to run out and try to wack Diesel. We ran up to our seats, and I told everyone around us that Rock was gonna kill Diesel. Sure enough at the opening bounce it was on!!! Rock was on fire and he smashed the great Diesel Williams!!!

Those Prelim losses in 94 and 95 hurt so much, but it was like we knew that we would make it. In 96 I don't think we missed a game played in Vic, as a family we were obsessed. I slept out the front of the "bass" ticket seller in Warrnambool on the Sunday night and got 6 tix for my my mum, dad, 2 bro's and my sister. Saturday the 28th of September 1996 was also my 16th birthday. We (the kids) all dyed our hair blue, we had seats just inside 50 about 14 rows back in the Ian Fairly pocket. Because it was the centenary year they sang Happy Birthday to Football as part of the pre-game entertainment which was equal parts lame and kinda cool at the same time.

Wayne Schwass and Anthony Stevens were my faves in the early to mid 90's. I wrote a letter to Stevo when I was about 14, he wrote back within a week and it was so awesome to have an idol take time to write a 4 page letter to some little punk from the country.

I could go on but don't wanna bore people.

S2A: That's a fantastic recollection mate. That Pagan/Rock story gave me shivers. No surprise about Stevo, being a little punk from the country himself.

How did you and your family celebrate the win over the Swans? I can imagine that would've been a VERY fun trip home.

PR: Hahahaha it's funny you ask that, because it is a massive point of contention within my family. I am the eldest of four children and I, as I mentioned turned 16 that day. My mother in her wisdom thought that Arden Street was no place for young children so we made our way to our overnight accom at some bloody relatives house no where near where I wanted to be. In hindsight it was really nice spending the night with the family. We have always been close and it had a real feeling of "we did it". What I remember about that day specifically is loving Glen Freeborn's work so much! Singing the song louder, but with added tears, than ever before, having NO voice left to scream out tribute to the players as they had their names read out to get their medals, and the "we are the champions" lap of honour.

S2A: Sounds great.

With the good comes the bad. What about '98? Did you guys go to that one?

PR: 98 we couldn't get tickets, we made a team decision that unless we got 6 tickets together we wouldn't go. The morning of the game we got a call, 6 tix together but the price was just out of control.... I obviously was all in and remember standing on the pulpit trying to sell it to everyone. I got outvoted 5-1 when Dad said with the price that was being asked we could go get a brand new tv and go on a holiday with the money we would spend on tickets. So I watched on the aforementioned brand new tv. I think I have pretty much erased that day from my memory. Carey's goal out of the air was awesome. After the game I locked myself in my room... A few mates came over to console me.... I told them to piss off.. Hahaha so petulant. One thing I do remember is watching those disrespectful Crow arseholes celebrating by singing our song but changing the words to Adelaide instead of North Melbourne. Never stopped hating them since, and want round one so very much!

S2A: Wow, that's incredibly disrespectful.

What about '99?

PR: 99 was so good, so very good because of what happened the week before. We all went to the prelim, and my brother and I brought our swags (like a one man tent for you city peeps). After the prelim win, which was great we went to the car got the swags and jumped straight in the que for grand final tix. We were a LONG way back. The main reason for this was all the * fans jumping the gun and expecting a win. That first night was awesome, such a good atmosphere, BBQs, singing and I suspect a fair bit of booze. The next day my parents visited us to make sure we were ok, this coincided with the half time break in the Blues * match. When Dad arrived some woman was walking out of the ground came straight up to us and said her husband hadn't shown up and if we wanted her two seats. Dad said he would hold our spot so we went inside. The atmosphere was awesome and we were cheering on the Blues like we were lifelong fans, because we knew that if Carlton won we get tix the following week, and if the * won we would probably miss out. When the siren went we ran so bloody fast back to our spot to find the line on the move and dad dragging our swags in a very forward motion. Some of the banter that flew at those * fans will never be forgotten by those there.

The next morning we got our precious tickets. Incidentally the system they have now for getting tickets to the GF is far better then back then, but there was a certain sense of achievement, sleeping at the MCG to get tickets that is hard to explain to people. 99 was never in doubt, I thought Belly was stiff to not win the Norm Smith. It was very different to 96 which was pure emotion. 99 was more about securing the legacy of that period for the club. Grant, Pickett, Motlop were bloody good players for us that year so it was cool winning one with a bit of a new group. To be honest it felt to me like we would just keep winning them after that game. When we were leaving Rod Laver that night, venue of after party, we ran into Bomber Thompson he was sideways drunk, I think the next day he signed as Geelong coach. Was a great day don't get me wrong, but if I had of realised we would have to wait until 2015 to win another one, I probably would've savoured it a bit more.

S2A: Sounds great.

So how did the Carey / Stevens incident affect you? Can you remember your reaction to hearing the news? What were your initial thoughts?

PR: It was such a horrible night when I heard the news. I mean I understand it's "just a game" but for those of us that held him up so high, it was gutting. I was playing tennis with my mates and went to get a drink and looked at my phone to see I had 37 missed calls. I raced home and turned on the news to learn what had happened to our club. I think what people forget is that Stevo had almost died a couple of years before when that glass shard sliced him up. I had enormous amounts of admiration for Stevo for the way he played, and for writing me that letter. This might sound stupid but if it had of been any other player I don't think it would have got to me like it did because it was Stevo. I, like so many North supporters were so staunch in our support of Carey that he could do no wrong. I was young and a bit stupid and if someone nearby got stuck into him I would engage them and berate them. Every single time he touched the ball after that I would give it to whomever was stupid enough to question his greatness.

But he killed Bambi, he broke the unbreakable rule. I was on reflection very proud of the way the club handled the situation. At the end of that year I moved to Ireland to run a nightclub in Dublin. However I followed the footy to a level that was a bit crazy. I went to a nearby Internet cafe at crazy hours to listen to the live feed online, and would often freak out the web needs playing games with screams of agony and ecstasy. My mum taped every game that North played and sent it over (there is a hilarious story about what happened to those tapes, but not for this forum). I was shattered I missed the horrible night that Wayne wore the Crow scum jumper against us, and so proud of the way that Stevo and Arch represented our club.

S2A: I'm intrigued by what happened to those tapes...

So when did you return to Australia? Was attending and watching the footy the same compared to when you had left for Ireland?

PR: Hahaha it's a long story best explained by saying that "hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn" and you can multiply that sentiment ten fold when there is an Irish woman involved. I lived in Ireland From Jan 2002 until Feb 2004. I came back for a week in the middle and went to a night game at Etihad, a draw between North and the Lions. When the international rules was on in Dublin I organised a group of 90 mates to go to the game. We had a massive section on the centre line and witnessed our now coach bashing up some little Irish fellas. When I got back for good I was running a pub in Brighton, and part of my shtick as publican was to be a crazy one eyed North fan, so it was easy for me. I rarely missed a game and took punters from the pub most weeks. The years that followed, "the Laidley years", weren't bad, I mean we were never going to win it all but generally we stayed pretty competitive.

S2A: Nice.

Did you attend the two finals we won last season? If so, what were your emotions like, throughout the games and afterwards?

PR: Its funny, but the four games I enjoyed most last year were the two finals, the Hawks win and the Port Adelaide win. The reason it is funny is that I can't ever remember enjoying four games of football more! I suspect that the reason that I enjoyed last seasons wins more than any previous is because my son, Brady, was as emotionally invested in it as I was. Seeing his unbridled joy really had an effect on me. The only game I went to last year without him was the * final, he was home sick. That was also the week that the infamous training report had occured. At half time I could not have been lower, my best mate was home sick, we were seemingly out of the finals series, which meant Brady had missed our last game, and I had the guilt of the training thread hanging over me. I'm not gonna lie, I was praying at half time. I was in the MCC and was surrounded by lots of *, but one thing I remember from that night was from our vantage point the blue and white sections of the crowd matching the black and red. When Gibbo got on the end of what I believe to be the best team goal I've seen, the roar was as loud a roar as I can remember I sports. I've been to Premier League, NFL, NBA, MLB, the World Cup Qualifier when we beat Uruguay on penalties, the World Cup in Germany, GAA finals in Dublin.... and the atmosphere when we ran over the top of the scum was freaking unreal, and probably my fave "game" ever!

I got home that night and Brady was awake, he cried with happiness that we had won. As many now know my kids mean a helluva lot to me, and that night was my only "social" night out without either of them for 2 years. Because of that win I got to back up and take the whole family (mum, dad, bro's, bro's partners, kids, my partner, and some family friends) to the cats final. Brady sat on my knee the whole game, LT lit it up early, and it should have been all over. But in a way it made it a better game, and a better experience that it ended the way it did. Sugar's smother on Selwood was my highlight! I lost my s**t, my mum thought I was having a seizure. And when the siren went I threw Brady quite high in the air.... and to everyone's relief caught him. We just hugged each other so tight, I had tears rolling down my face! About a minute later he asked me if we could go to Sydney and I promised him we would. 21 hour round trip, and although we lost, badly, we ran down to the race as the boys walked off. We clapped and thanked all of them for the year. Some players clapped back, some just nodded and acknowledged our effort of being there. The one that stood out to us was Cunners. He looked genuinely angry! I laugh at all the stern look stuff on here, but he was pissed man. I expect that night to drive this group to another level!

S2A: That's fantastic to read. I know what you mean about the Port and Hawthorn wins being better than any other. They were sensational nights.

Just on that infamous training report. It has obviously become folklore on the North Melbourne board, but what were your initial reactions when Heath responded the way he did that day?

Haha, I honestly felt horrible. I wrote Heath a DM immediatley apologising. He didn't respond which I took as a bad sign. I mean the last bloody thing I wanted to do was to upset anyone at the club. Having spoken to Heath on Sunday at the family day, it was a serious concern for the club, being finals and all. I totally understand that. I guess from my point of view, I was lucky enough last season to have the footy club in my territory for work, and it was my little way of giving back to BF. Since then I have changed jobs and didn't think that I would be able to get back to training much this season. But hot news just in.... My boss just called this afternoon and I have been made redundant.... Really s**t timing (not sure it is ever good timing) but we have a baby due in 8 weeks, and obviously the legal cost of winning in court was pretty intense. So if anyone is looking for a salesman, actually I'll do anything, let me know... Hahaha

S2A: You can bet all North supporters were cursing you at half time of that Elimination Final hahaha.

That's seriously shitty news though mate. Sorry to hear. Hope things pick up very quickly.

What are your expectations on North in 2015? Which player will you be keeping a keen eye on?

PR: Thanks mate appreciate it.

My expectations are really high, I'm a glass half full guy anyway so I'm always pretty high on our chances..... However I am really confident. I fully expect us to be top 4, but want more. I want a dominant season! I want top 2 and a home first final, and of course a home prelim. Hawthorn showed last year that depth is pretty important, and we look loaded. Injuries will happen, but once Hansen gets back we seem to have crazy depth at every spot!
As for the player..... I'm a big Sugar guy! His attitude and his willingness to hit EVERY contest with intent make him really hard not to like. I just think it's a great story, and a great lesson, for all of us. He is small, he isn't amazingly quick, his skills aren't off the charts. Yet he has become in a very short time so important to what we do! His tackling technique is flawless, and his willingness to do the hard thing at the right time makes us harder to beat every time.

Others that I'm looking forward to having a big year are Atley, when he gets it and turns on the speed I get very excited, and I feel sorry for all those around me.

The free agent additions, Missy reminds me (and obviously a whole lot of others) of the Grant recruitment. Different circumstances in that we gave up an all-timer to get Shagga, and I believe Shagga may have been a couple of years younger when we got him. However the class, the poise, and hopefully the ability to play big in big games (hahaha is that jumping the gun?).

As for Waite, he is a genuine gun when on song, and has looked unbelievable in this preseason. His hands are as good as I've seen, and he presents as well as I can remember a forward presenting in blue and white.

Also I love Cunners, Jack, LT.... Ok I'm an unabashed homer (American term for someone who just loves all the players on their team), but I think the two guys who will take us over the top are Spitta and Wellsy. Last year both weren't at their best, yet they both showed what they could do, and gave us all a glimpse of what we can expect this year. Spitta in the Adelaide game in Tassie was off the hook, and his finals series was awesome! Wells before he got hurt played a belter against the Swans in Sydney, and his final against the * was just sublime.

S2A: Yeah, nearly impossible to single out one player isn't it.

So tell me a little bit about life outside of BigFooty? We know you recently had the court case with your ex-missus, which ended the way it should. How have you been feeling in the aftermath of that?

PR: Mate, I have had a pretty tough time over the last 5 years. My ex is a chronic alcoholic. I have done everything I could possibly have done over the last 5 years to make sure my little ones have been as safe and happy as I could. To do this I have had to give up the job I loved, moved half way across the state more than once, work ridiculous hours, drive through the night to spend some precious hours with my kids before turning back again until the following week. I had a restaurant in country Victoria that I was trying to sell desperately for 6 months because the kids mother had moved them to Melbourne and was not looking after them. I think I wrote in my "court thread" that one day I called my ex over and over one day with no answer (to check on my kids). Eventually my little boy (4 years old at the time) answered the phone, "hi dad, I'm just making Courtney (1 yo) lunch." "Why are you doing that?" "Because I made her breaky, and changed her nappy, and now she is hungry again, I can't wake mummy up."

That conversation was the catalyst to close the restaurant (unsold) and get up here and do the following. Get a house, get a car (mine had just died), get a job that would allow me to be a good dad, and most importantly GET MY KIDS BACK.

Court was hard, expensive, and traumatic. We got what we want though, now the mother has visits from the children every second weekend, however she must perform a breathalyser test before and after every visit.

The problem that has arisen is that for 5 years I have been fighting and living this. Now it's over its kinda weird. For example my partner (who incidentally is the best bloody woman I have ever met, anyone that takes on what she has deserves amazing happiness) has never even known me without this hanging over my head.

So to answer your question, I'm not sure how I'm feeling in the aftermath..... I'm so relieved and triumphant but at the same time I am finally reflecting on the pain that this thing brought into my life and my babies lives.

Outside of Big Footy, we love going to Port Fairy as often as we can! We love doing things as a family, just a very quiet happy life.

While on this though, I've said it before and I'll say it again.... BigFooty is a haven for me. I am proud that our club is seemingly the club that is best represented in here. There are so many good people that I have met through this joint, and I feel very lucky to have found this just last year. If only this could be a job. I had a convo with my sister tonight, and we were talking about all the men we know that have gone through family court and have limited access to their kids. Maybe football is an answer to a problem that I hear about all the time. Taking children to the football is a great way to engage them, to give them great experiences and to foster the relationship between father and child.

S2A: You sound like you've been through some tough times in the past five years, and I am glad the worst of it is over. Those kids are going to have a good life with a role models such as yourself and your partner.

Thanks for sharing mate, appreciate it!

PR: No thank you mate, you guys do a great job with this thread! Good chats, and looking forward to a hugely successful season!!!

One of the best ones yet (and they've all been great reading!).

Question from the floor Phillyroo -

What is the 'training incident' that everyone talks about? PM me if it can't be discussed on here. Also wouldn't mind a PM about what happened to those video tapes!! :D

And sorry to hear about getting made redundant. Had it happen to me before and it's not a nice feeling... :cry:

Last edited:
Another fantastic interview in a thread that never disappoints, thanks for sharing Phillyroo and good luck with the job hunting.

One of the best ones yet (and they've all been great reading!).

Question from the floor Phillyroo -

What is the 'training incident' that everyone talks about? PM me if it can't be discussed on here. Also wouldn't mind a PM about what happened to those video tapes!! :D

And sorry to hear about getting made redundant. Had it happen to me before and it's not a nice feeling... :cry:

This was the thread..
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/at-training-any-questions.1075461/

And this post is where the legendary exchange began....
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/at-training-any-questions.1075461/page-3#post-34881015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely laughed out loud at the recollection of the exchange between Pagan and Rock.

Fantastic job as always S2A and some great responses from Phillyroo t make one of the best interviews yet. This thread just gets better and better.

Thanks for sharing your stories Phillyroo. I also have two youngish kids and can't imagine how that must have felt to know they were not being looked after. Best wishes for the year ahead and I'm sure something will turn up on the job front! Hopefully the 'roos will make this year something to remember.

PHILLYROO

Great writeup S2A and phillyroo. Find this thread absolutely fascinating to be honest. Amazing the memories it brings up. That 2003 drawn game against Brisbane really sticks in my head. It was heartbreaking, they were just unstoppable and our average team was going to beat them - then Vossy floats one in for a point with a kick within a bee's dick of the siren. Real flat after game. I hated Michael Voss because he just always managed to make stuff happen even though I admired him as well.

So when did you return to Australia? Was attending and watching the footy the same compared to when you had left for Ireland?

PR: Hahaha it's a long story best explained by saying that "hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn" and you can multiply that sentiment ten fold when there is an Irish woman involved. I lived in Ireland From Jan 2002 until Feb 2004. I came back for a week in the middle and went to a night game at Etihad, a draw between North and the Lions. When the international rules was on in Dublin I organised a group of 90 mates to go to the game. We had a massive section on the centre line and witnessed our now coach bashing up some little Irish fellas. When I got back for good I was running a pub in Brighton, and part of my shtick as publican was to be a crazy one eyed North fan, so it was easy for me. I rarely missed a game and took punters from the pub most weeks. The years that followed, "the Laidley years", weren't bad, I mean we were never going to win it all but generally we stayed pretty competitive.

This rings a bell. I have a vague recollection of going to a Peninsula Ladies Supporter Group function at a Brighton pub around that time... That wouldn't have been you would involved in it Phillyroo?

Great writeup S2A and phillyroo. Find this thread absolutely fascinating to be honest. Amazing the memories it brings up. That 2003 drawn game against Brisbane really sticks in my head. It was heartbreaking, they were just unstoppable and our average team was going to beat them - then Vossy floats one in for a point with a kick within a bee's dick of the siren. Real flat after game. I hated Michael Voss because he just always managed to make stuff happen even though I admired him as well.

This rings a bell. I have a vague recollection of going to a Peninsula Ladies Supporter Group function at a Brighton pub around that time... That wouldn't have been you would involved in it Phillyroo?
Yeah very well could have been, I cant remember that specifically but that stuff was pretty regular. Pubs back then (hahahaha sounds like I'm referring to a time long before it was) survived on footy, and what it brought to us week in week out.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_banter4.gif

Thread keeps delivering. I really liked the tag team format used for Kimbo and TOD. Can I nominate Bigfooty's equivalent of Graeme and the Colonel (i.e. intellectual sparring partners), Bigeasy and LuvtheKangas for something similar?

Excellent stuff there Phillyroo. Good luck on an ongoing basis with everything you have been dealing with and will have to continue dealing with.

As for the stuff on your training reports. I never read the thread at the time but I am extremely disappointed that it was dealt with in the manner it was. And if *essendon was relying on a thread on BF for *their information then *they are in even worse trouble than I could ever have imagined.

If the club was worried, then a PM was the way to go. Doing it via the thread is a very public and humiliating way to stop something they don't like. Had I been in your shoes, I doubt if I would have stuck around. I suggest that Heath needs a bit of education when it comes to dealing with these matters.

Sorry to say these things, in a public thread, but I am just gobsmacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back